As shown from the DROID line of phones, branding can change the minds of the people in the market for smart phones. The OG DROID, in conjunction with the Nexus One, provided us with a standard for what a smart phone SHOULD BE. When the brand becomes a trustworthy name in the eyes of the general public subsections of that brand can be created to immeasurably increase sales. Thats why we see such a strong DROID lineup even though 2 of the models are not from the original manufacturer (aka HTC DROID Eris and HTC DROID Incredible [which are still great phones]).

The questions that I pose today are simple

1. Will "EVO" become a branding on Sprint (taking into consideration of the new EVO Shift 4G that is coming out soon)

2. Can this branding be a popular as the DROID branding? (as shameful as this may sound the bulk of what got me interested in androids was not how great they are but the DROID noise on a friends phone)

3. Can Sprint create that kind of interest in consumers toward the EVO lineup (besides the whole 4G thing)

4. Any predictions on what the EVO lineup can give to us with the new EVO shift 4G that can separate the brand from other android phones

5. Will the lineup strictly be HTC only or will Motorola want a piece of the pie

UPDATE: Sprint "officially" is calling the EVO as a branding.
    12-28-2010 10:57 PM
    I like EVO as a branding. It is smart. The EVO is one of the more popular phones today, I'd say right behind the iPhone. I see them everywhere. If you have people liking EVO, it only makes sense to extend the brand.
    12-28-2010 11:00 PM
    I like EVO as a branding. It is smart. The EVO is one of the more popular phones today, I'd say right behind the iPhone. I see them everywhere. If you have people liking EVO, it only makes sense to extend the brand.
    Thats awesome but what do you think the catch will be besides its a great phone. I feel like there has to be something whimsical, child like even that draws the audience in. Kind of like the DROID noise but maybe not a noise....
    12-28-2010 11:07 PM
    As shown from the DROID line of phones, branding can change the minds of the people in the market for smart phones. The OG DROID, in conjunction with the Nexus One, provided us with a standard for what a smart phone SHOULD BE. When the brand becomes a trustworthy name in the eyes of the general public subsections of that brand can be created to immeasurably increase sales. Thats why we see such a strong DROID lineup even though 2 of the models are not from the original manufacturer (aka HTC DROID Eris and HTC DROID Incredible [which are still great phones]).

The questions that I pose today are simple

1. Will "EVO" become a branding on Sprint (taking into consideration of the new EVO Shift 4G that is coming out soon)

I think it would be a smart marketing move, and i wouldnt have to keep saying "no its not a droid is an android Evo 4G"

2. Can this branding be a popular as the DROID branding? (as shameful as this may sound the bulk of what got me interested in androids was not how great they are but the DROID noise on a friends phone)

It all depends, but i think the Droid label is a pretty hard thing to compete with

3. Can Sprint create that kind of interest in consumers toward the EVO lineup (besides the whole 4G thing)

Depends on who they try to market the phones towards.

4. Any predictions on what the EVO lineup can give to us with the new EVO shift 4G that can separate the brand from other android phones

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...evo-shift.html This is what the Shift brings to the table.

5. Will the lineup strictly be HTC only or will Motorola want a piece of the pie

Does sprint even have any high end moto phones? Have they ever?
    I dont think Moto will get in the Evo brand.
    Bold
    12-28-2010 11:09 PM
    They seem to have started the branding
    Droid worked but over at tmobile theres the mytouch line that most people recognise andsamsung made their own galaxy line with th s phones and tab

Evo could launch but they need a few more phones inclufing the shift
    (evo2, maybe mini(3.7) evo (inc/n1 style) and atablet?)
    12-28-2010 11:16 PM
    And motorola has put all their high end devices on verizon under droid
    lg might want it's own optimus line (like galaxy)
    12-28-2010 11:19 PM
    They seem to have started the branding
    Droid worked but over at tmobile theres the mytouch line that most people recognise andsamsung made their own galaxy line with th s phones and tab

Evo could launch but they need a few more phones inclufing the shift
    (evo2, maybe mini(3.7) evo (inc/n1 style) and atablet?)
    So right now the only carrier that doesn't have an android line is AT&T
    12-28-2010 11:24 PM
    LG does have the Optimus line, not might have the Optimus line.

Would the EVO make a good brand? YES!

If Sprint decides to do that they will be successful and they will get more phones. It doesn't take much to change the name of a phone that's already on it's way to market.

They have a large 4G network. Manufacturers want in on that. They will be more than happy to go along with a strong marketing campaign that the carrier is footing the bill for.

And remember that since they now have two phones with EVO in the name they have officially started a line of EVO phones.
    12-28-2010 11:41 PM
    LG does have the Optimus line, not might have the Optimus line.

They have a large 4G network. Manufacturers want in on that. They will be more than happy to go along with a strong marketing campaign that the carrier is footing the bill for.

I think this is a large possibility but with more 4G phones coming out will we see a change in batteries. Since 4G sucks up more juice than a Call girl from Amsterdam
    12-28-2010 11:47 PM
    I think this is a large possibility but with more 4G phones coming out will we see a change in batteries. Since 4G sucks up more juice than a Call girl from Amsterdam
    4G is no worse on battery than 3G was when it was first launched. Battery technology hasn't had a quantum leap in the last few days that I've heard of. We're stuck with what we currently have.

(BTW this is why, right now, I'm a fan of T-Mo upgrading current 3G networks they way they are until 4G has matured.)
    12-29-2010 12:00 AM
    4G is no worse on battery than 3G was when it was first launched. Battery technology hasn't had a quantum leap in the last few days that I've heard of. We're stuck with what we currently have.

(BTW this is why, right now, I'm a fan of T-Mo upgrading current 3G networks they way they are until 4G has matured.)
    As much as I hear this I have yet to see a real trial between cell phones and their impact on battery life. All I hear is "It will last all day". I would personally love it if someone from Android Central were to actually do a [relatively] scientific examination. Maybe Phil with his 18 phones can charge all the phones and let them all sit with periodic checking every 3-4 hours. Taking into consideration signal strength, 3G, 4G, or Wifi connection and finally how old the phone is.
    12-29-2010 12:12 AM
    As much as I hear this I have yet to see a real trial between cell phones and their impact on battery life. All I hear is "It will last all day". I would personally love it if someone from Android Central were to actually do a [relatively] scientific examination. Maybe Phil with his 18 phones can charge all the phones and let them all sit with periodic checking every 3-4 hours. Taking into consideration signal strength, 3G, 4G, or Wifi connection and finally how old the phone is.
    You have an EVO. Are you in a 4G area? Have you turned it on and left it on to see the impact on your battery? You can perform YOUR OWN tests to confirm that 4G is a battery drain. It's just too new to be optimized like 3G has been.

If you want to, take a look at THESE screenshots of my battery life.

I've also seen threads (I can't remember exactly which ones) where HTC phones aren't as battery efficient as Motorola phones when idle. There are too many variables to say what YOUR battery life should be like, but you can perform your own comparison and let us know what works best for you.
    12-29-2010 12:24 AM
    You have an EVO. Are you in a 4G area? Have you turned it on and left it on to see the impact on your battery? You can perform YOUR OWN tests to confirm that 4G is a battery drain. It's just too new to be optimized like 3G has been.

If you want to, take a look at THESE screenshots of my battery life.

I've also seen threads (I can't remember exactly which ones) where HTC phones aren't as battery efficient as Motorola phones when idle. There are too many variables to say what YOUR battery life should be like, but you can perform your own comparison and let us know what works best for you.
    I travel a lot so I get to be in 4G areas a lot. I saw the HUGE impact that 4G had on my phone and I have been able to optimize my phone so that I can have up to 28 hours of battery life [Ubber Max of course]. With my own optimized settings a normal day of use can get 2 hours more than when I first got my phone.

But the issue is not with my own phone, its a comparison with T-Mobile's 4G compared to Sprint and Verizon 4G. Does it really use less energy and provide better than 3G speeds?

Update: Im in Pensacola Florida just like our fearless leader so T-Mobile 3G is not an option and I highly doubt that 4G on T-Mobile will ever show up
    12-29-2010 01:28 AM
    Unfortunately I don't have HSPDA+ yet in my area, but I know people that do and the battery life is the same.

Logically it makes sense. You're using the same radio, the same programming stack, same frequencies, just utilizing more bandwidth at any given moment. You aren't adding another chipset in there to use power like you are for Sprint and Verizon 4G. (I'm still not calling HSDPA+ 4G, just the best 3G around)
    12-29-2010 02:27 AM
    As a "Droid" branded device owner I think that any type of branding is great for android phones in general. Either Evo or Droid it can only help. That's the beauty of android, no matter what device you get, it will become an extention of the owners needs and personality.
    12-29-2010 03:18 AM
    Now that we get official word that the EVO IS a branding does anyone have any idea what may be the next in the EVO line besides the EVO 2
    01-05-2011 03:34 PM
    Now that we get official word that the EVO IS a branding does anyone have any idea what may be the next in the EVO line besides the EVO 2
    I'm going out on a limb and guessing something dual core.

Sent from my myTouch 4G
    01-05-2011 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD