No Swype on the Shift

guitark8

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems strange that there's no Swype on the Shift. (according to Bob the Wirefly reviewer.) I know it's somewhat redundant in that it has the keyboard, but, different tools for different things... Wonder why they'd leave that off.

Does anyone know if swype can be added manually after purchase?

philby

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
It seems likely that the beta would support the Shift soon if not already.

Plus the Epic has a keyboard and Swype.

Swype is actually the reason I am going to get the Evo instead of the Shift, I had my eyes on it before I tried Swype because I missed a physical keyboard...one hour with Swype and I forgot about ever missing my BB keyboard.

enzofall

Aug 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
It seems likely that the beta would support the Shift soon if not already.

Plus the Epic has a keyboard and Swype.

Swype is actually the reason I am going to get the Evo instead of the Shift, I had my eyes on it before I tried Swype because I missed a physical keyboard...one hour with Swype and I forgot about ever missing my BB keyboard.

yea everyone is saying that there faster w/ swype instead of phys but to me youu can never replace a physical keyboard(even tough im great on my current evo) ....idk mabye im old fashion lol

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah would you need swipe if you have a physical keyboard, I have swipe on my evo and a physical keyboard still beats swipe imo. A lot of people would disagree.

Zardos

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of torn, I want the Evo for its big screen for games, but I want a keyboard on the Shift for games.

How is the Evo's Multitouch.

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Physical keyboard for emulators is a must for me. I could see using swype for texting or other things though.

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I only really started using Swype after the 3.70 update on the Evo and I really started liking it. My wife got an Optimus S with Swype and she really liked it ... now we switched her to the Evo Shift and it is not included :(

I installed the Swype Beta but the beta has an awful bug where Swype does not work after a reboot, unless you long-press and select the Android keyboard, and then long-press and re-select Swype. Very frustrating.

I hope Sprint and HTC send out an OTA soon to bring this phone in line with its Evo sibling.

fifedogg

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure swype will come on the 2.2.1 update when it comes out. It will eventually be there for us to use. You have to remember this phone has only been out for 2 days now...

jesusice

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
According to Sprint the phone isn't available until today :) I got the beta (reboot bug and all) but am hoping that HTC will release an update including Swype. I'm just keeping in mind that the Evo didn't even have it until a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my PG06100

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah would you need swipe if you have a physical keyboard, I have swipe on my evo and a physical keyboard still beats swipe imo. A lot of people would disagree.
I agree with you.... I have swype on my EVO and I have never use it. I would rather use a PK.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Swype works fine on the Evo Shift...well, as fine as it works on anything...

I'm really upset with the current Beta version. The last version was 3x as good. It keeps turning on CAPS lock for no reason and turns it off even when I turn it on purposefully. I'm writing them later this week about some of the new bugs/decisions they've made. It works better on the Evo Shift than on my old Hero, but these bugs were present then too.

So, yes, Swype does work, but the current version is too buggy for me to continue using it. :(

melficersx

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
i prefer having to reselect swipe after i reboot. because my Shift is ensuring i stay on my toes. i like the way it challenges my installations and tells me to redo things. idc, i still think its better than going back to an iLame4 w/at&t

mattvalenz

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You can get it via beta as someone else had said. I think you should see it in a future update but I haven't heard anythis specifically yet around that.

Matt
Sprint Product Ambassador Team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol