$10.00 Premium Fee

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
Is the charge per 4G device? Example we have 5 lines on a family plan one an evo with the extra $10 fee despite the fact there is no 4G service anywhere within reason of where we live or would ever go :(

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Is the charge per 4G device? Example we have 5 lines on a family plan one an evo with the extra $10 fee despite the fact there is no 4G service anywhere within reason of where we live or would ever go :(

they Say its for true unlimited data services... but yes each line is charges the premium

vr6glidriver

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven't asked about this on the phones, but you can get a 3G/4G data card (or laptop/aircard/hotspot, whatever you would like to call it!) without the 4G service or add-on.

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I haven't asked about this on the phones, but you can get a 3G/4G data card (or laptop/aircard/hotspot, whatever you would like to call it!) without the 4G service or add-on.

Not possible on 4G phones. It's a $10 price hike if you want a 4g capable phone.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
The thing that get's me about the extra fee is that nothing really changes, the same amount of data gets used no matter the speed of the connection since a faster connection doesn't mean the size of the thing being loaded is bigger. It's like one of those hidden taxes in the various fees listed on our bills that even though they put a name on it it might as well read yibbergibbyugg. You see that sort of thing on all bills.

Like back not too long ago you had to pay $15/mo for data but now it is freely part of the basic service. In all of the years I have been with sprint my monthly cost has been the same. What changes is the amount of services and removal of limits as time goes by. My first plan was like 100 or less daytime minutes and maybe about 2 times that in night time minutes with voicemail and call waiting being the only services part of the plan.

Anyways I'm reluctant to buy the excuse for this charge like I was back in the day when they wanted to charge extra for data in general. I fear that this will be normal and expected as long as they are the only 4G available. Then competition will drive them to drop the charge. Which I hope is real soon as a customer. Oh I thought I read that evo shift and epic and perhaps some others have hotspot or tethering. Is this included in the $10 fee? If so it would justify me paying the fee as I would use the data connection for my netbook when away from home.

bigwooly

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh I thought I read that evo shift and epic and perhaps some others have hotspot or tethering. Is this included in the $10 fee? If so it would justify me paying the fee as I would use the data connection for my netbook when away from home.

Hotspot is an aditional $29.99 a month. There are however ways around this. ;)

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
In all of the years I have been with sprint my monthly cost has been the same.

It's just a $10 rate hike. Want the latest phone, you'll pay the latest rate. Sucks there was a rate hike, but I say that about most everything I buy.

The phone does tethering. You can use their simply app for $29.99/mo or pick from other apps and do it yourself.

StoneRyno

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I talked to sprint today and brought up the idea of them doing away with the fee since verizon very recently announced they would not charge extra for 4G. Of course I don't think they have even begun to roll out 4G yet so sprint still has that one up on them currently. Of course it might still be cheaper with 4G on sprint vs verizon due to the various all in one plans being cheaper on sprint as far as I'm aware.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I talked to sprint today and brought up the idea of them doing away with the fee since verizon very recently announced they would not charge extra for 4G. Of course I don't think they have even begun to roll out 4G yet so sprint still has that one up on them currently. Of course it might still be cheaper with 4G on sprint vs verizon due to the various all in one plans being cheaper on sprint as far as I'm aware.
I don't think they'll just get up and stop taking extra money from customers. Not as long as they're making profits.

Krgdesigns

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The funny thing is that I have one of their mobile hotspot units called the overdrive (a little black box) and it gets 3G/4G service for my laptop and yet the don't charge the extra $10 4G charge on that?? Its just to get more money

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon