EVO Shift 4G first review!

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up my Shift 4g this morning and wanted to give you all a first quick review. Obviously since Ive only had it for about 2 hours I cant comment on battery life and I havent tested every single feature yet. But if there is something you wanna know about that I forgot to mention ask me and ill test it for you!

I havent rebooted the phone yet but when we turned it on in the store it seemed to boot pretty quickly...one thing to get used to is the power button is on the top so to make the screen go black you have to reach all the way to the top...a slight adjustment from the heros front red power button, but worth mentioning....it loads up with sense and it all looks pretty familiar (to anyone who has used sense at least).....I dont see really many new widgets or anything except FM radio (at least coming from the HERO this is new...)....the phone moves fast(!) everything is very responsive and just feels natural....more on this later as i bog it down with apps and such lol but looks like the processor is a hit....the phone feels solid and is clearly built well and easily makes the epic feel like a toy....the keyboard slides out smoothly with a very slight click when fully opened...i would have preferred a slightly more locked in feel but regardless it feels pretty sturdy and I trust HTC enough that I dont think its gonna break off from normal use in the next year or two....the keyboard itself feels very comfortable and seems to be easy to type with...not having a dedicated row for numbers is not that big of a deal as the FN key can be hit twice as a sorta "caps lock" function and then you have a dedicated number row as well as all the symbols....the "D-pad" is nice and easy to click around (took me a second to realize it wasnt like an optical pad lol you actually have to click the edges like a joypad) but theres no center click like that of a trackball....there is an enter key which can be used to click on things highlighted by the d-pad, for example, in the market to select an app to download, however, when using the default browser or dolphin HD browser, I cant seem to click on links i highlight with the d-pad...the enter key does nothing and theres no other option so i still have to touch the screen....this seemed strange to me so i checked the manual and I couldnt even find a mention of the d-pad at all!...i skimmed through so ill take a more close look later....i sure hope i can find a way to click links otherwise the d-pad is relatively useless if i have to zoom in and use the touchscreen to click links (although still not the end of the world really especially if youre coming from an all touch display)....again for other things though the enter key has been working to select whatever has been highlighted...also the onscreen keyboards, although ive only used em once or twice at this point, feel snappy and have no lag unlike the heros infamous laggy keyboard. cant comment on 4G speeds as I couldnt connect for some reason here in my office (near colubus circle in manhattan)...maybe cause im inside? or maybe cause its the first time trying to connect its having trouble finding the signal....idk but i will get more on this later as i try it again....gps connected almost instantly and maps moves quick and gets your location right away....browsing is nice, even on 3g it felt a little faster than the hero (placebo effect?) and with full flash embedded in the page its much more like a real web browser...call quality sounded good, ring lag at a minimum (only tested one call each way so far but incoming calls took about a ring and a half before the shift displayed the call and outgoing calls started ringing on the phone i was calling before the shifts dialer ringed once!)...the buttons on the bottom took almost no time getting used to going from hard keys to capacitive buttons for home, menu, back and search and the touch vibrate helps ensure you did press the button....overall im very impressed so far and really look forward to seeing what this thing can handle as i play with it more and more

edit: forgot to mention the camera!....pic quality seems to be pretty good...havent put any pics up on a computer to really see how they look but on the phone they look sharp...the flash is nice and even inside with the lights on didnt white out the whole picture....looks like its gonna be real good for night photos...havent tried the camcorder but its 720p so it will be pretty nice no matter what

Last edited:

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
also just tried angry birds....absolutely no lag it was perfect...however as i was playing my finger would occasionally cover the light/proximity sensor and make the screen lose brightness until i moved my finger again...something to think about when holding the phone in landscape for any reason...i think htc should have put the sensor on the other side of the earpiece so our fingers dont cover it

Souless Poet

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't like the volume buttons on the bottom of the keyboard either but hey....bought it for my wife....she wanted the smaller version of my phone....overall...fast...don't miss the front facing camera since it worked so crappy on my rooted Evo.

sweetmonster457

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
hey, thanks for the review. can i ask, is there any lag with the camera? like can u take multiple pictures quickly without it taking a lot of time to process?

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
hey, thanks for the review. can i ask, is there any lag with the camera? like can u take multiple pictures quickly without it taking a lot of time to process?

unfortunately i dont see any setting for taking multiple pics in a row or anything like that....there is an option to turn off the "review time" they call it where you get a chance to see and delete the pic or whatever before it even saves, but even with no review it takes a second or so...still not really very long but if youre trying to do action shots or something it doesnt look like it can do that

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Don't like the volume buttons on the bottom of the keyboard either but hey....bought it for my wife....she wanted the smaller version of my phone....overall...fast...don't miss the front facing camera since it worked so crappy on my rooted Evo.

yea i hit the button once when holding the keyboard but it really doesnt seem to be a problem i dont feel like its in the way

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
also just tried angry birds....absolutely no lag it was perfect...however as i was playing my finger would occasionally cover the light/proximity sensor and make the screen lose brightness until i moved my finger again...something to think about when holding the phone in landscape for any reason...i think htc should have put the sensor on the other side of the earpiece so our fingers dont cover it

Turn off auto brightness. If it's like the g2 it won't work right anyway.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

Reactions: StAlphonso

Krgdesigns

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Does it have a dedicated button for taking pictures? I know when I had the Evo it was a bit tricky with the onscreen button? Thanks for the review also it has really helped me to decide to go after work to get one.

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Does it have a dedicated button for taking pictures? I know when I had the Evo it was a bit tricky with the onscreen button? Thanks for the review also it has really helped me to decide to go after work to get one.

Happy to help! while the keyboard is open you can press the enter key and it will take the picture but other than that its the onscreen button which i think works fine

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Turn off auto brightness. If it's like the g2 it won't work right anyway.

Sent from my myTouch 4G

yea i forgot to say that im sure there is an option...actually turning down my brightness is something i always did on my hero too to conserve battery life and forgot to do it right away with this phone...now if i cover the sensor the screen stays the same and all that happens is the buttons become backlit

edgemaster191

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
you can use the "Enter" key right above the D-pad to select links and what not.

i bought mine a few hours ago, still getting everything configured but so far so good, feels a LOT smoother than my Evo. i'm liking the form factor and the keyboard, also the touch buttons are a different color, almost a blue hue to them which is nice.

can't report on battery life yet, going to be a few days before i start to get accurate readings, going to be using the snot out of it getting everything the way i want it.

feels weird going back to sense, can't wait for the CM guys to get CM6/7 running on this thing

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I picked my Shift up earlier today and so far, I love it. I like it a lot better than my Evo. I agree with the other poster, that it feels a lot more smoother than the Evo. I also like the keyboard. It's very smooth and easy to navigate. I'm not a big fan of the FCC so not having that is not an issue to me.

I'm going to pop my 16GB SD Card into this baby, load some apps and get everything all set up. So far this is a keeper, I'm seriously thinking about selling my Evo now.

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
you can use the "Enter" key right above the D-pad to select links and what not.

hmm doesnt seem to work for me on either stock browser or dolphin...tried to click into this forum on the phone and enter did nothing...same thing with google....cant click the link to enter the website cant click images....

oddly enough within a search box on google when it gave me suggestions and i scrolled down to one i was able to click it and it searched but after the search i couldnt "enter" into any links....

can you confirm that on your device? go to google search something and try to "enter" into the website from the browser

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like a pretty decent phone. Much similarity to her brother(evo). I'm happy that HTC came out with a physical keyboard for those who love the EVO, but wasn't happy with the virtual keyboard. Personally, I can use both - it doesn't bother me at all.

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
just hit 1574 in my first quadrant test....

and this processor can be OC'd to like 1.7-1.8ghz supposedly?....wow...i dont even think its necessary its already blazing!

my hero rooted to 2.2 gets like 385 lol...EVO on the graph (avg scores i suppose?) shows under 1250....

edit: Make that 1612 when i ran it again!

edit 2: ran linpack test...got 34.671 mflops

STOCK!

Last edited:

edgemaster191

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
hmm doesnt seem to work for me on either stock browser or dolphin...tried to click into this forum on the phone and enter did nothing...same thing with google....cant click the link to enter the website cant click images....

oddly enough within a search box on google when it gave me suggestions and i scrolled down to one i was able to click it and it searched but after the search i couldnt "enter" into any links....

can you confirm that on your device? go to google search something and try to "enter" into the website from the browser

i see what you're saying. guess i didn't try it in a browser :-/ that is kinda odd.

everything else seems good so far. i think my 16gb SD card from my Evo died :( can't seem to move stuff off from it. tried from my phone as well as a stand alone card reader.

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
hopefully it can be fixed...im gonna start emailing htc when i get home tonight see if theres any way they could make an update for that...seems like it should be simple enough just make the enter key do the same thing as touching a link....

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
You can turn the ambient light sensor off!

If you go into display settings you can turn the light sensor off, that way it won't affect your usage when holding the phone.

EricP

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
What are the memory specs. Does it have the same issues as the G2 and can you get Swype beta on it ? Thanks so much, may pick one up tomorrow.

StAlphonso

May 18, 2010
Visit site
What are the memory specs. Does it have the same issues as the G2 and can you get Swype beta on it ? Thanks so much, may pick one up tomorrow.

internal phone storage shows 343MB free after i downloaded a few apps from the market...maybe 5 or 6 total....SD can handle up to 32GB card i believe

not sure what issues you refer to with the G2 specifically and i havent tried to put swype on it yet...ill let you know when i get a chance to try it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis