Shift vs Epic smackdown on Wirefly

edgemaster191

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Not sure i'm a big fan of the guys at wirefly, something always irks me about their reviews. didn't seem to mention the build quality of either phone, i have seen a few Epic 4G's and they feel cheap, like a lot of play in the slider even on a brand new phone.

also, i understand the AMOLED displays are pretty, and thats fine, but the size of the display is a matter of preference and i'm curious how close they are as far as battery life, he says they're about the same, but is he basing that on battery size alone or actual testing? anyone with an Epic 4g wanna chime in?

in the end it comes down to what do you need/want in a device, but to be honest i wouldn't recommend an Epic to someone, i would suggest either the Evo or the Shift. (assuming they were staying with Sprint) sure the display is great but the software support is severely lacking, it's suppose to be a flagship line of phones and they still don't have an official 2.2 build out yet.

Reactions: jjeffcoat

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Having trouble deciding between the two. I intend to try both out together at a store some time when I get the chance. For me, it may come down to which one has the best keyboard.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Don't go Samsung. You'll regret it 3 months from now when you're still waiting for 2.2 to be released...

I totally agree with you on that one. I'll never get another samsung again. I had a Epic and took that back to the store. Then I bought a Nexus S and sold that. Other than those amoled screens, samsung phones are trash...imo

This was sent shifting on my EVO Shift 4G using Tapatalk

bawolfe

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The only thing Samsung has going for it is that Gorilla Glass. Have you determined if HTC is using that (or at least some unlicensed ripoff) ?

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
The thing I don't like about this smackdown and the smackdown vs the Evo that is posted on youtube is that he doesn't comment on call quality even though these are phones. Also, he doesn't mention the front camera on the Epic or the Evo vs the Shift which is a big dealt to some people.

Zardos

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
The Shift's glass reminds me alot of my Hero, from comparing the two, I'm not a professional though.

My Hero was impossible to scratch, over a year naked and not a scratch on it.

Op4guy

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's me but I find the HTC smoother when sliding between pages. Every Samsung I have ever used always seems glitchy as it went from page to page and I find that highly annoying.

Like others have said, the Epic feels cheap. The HTC phones seem to have some heft and feel a lot better built.

JayJay2917

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
I love Samsung's products...usually. But I for the life of me find their cell phones feel cheap, and I don't like the UI. The Screen doesn't surprise me as being great, becuase what do they do best...TVs! I just think in general HTC makes a better cell phone in most all cases, why...because they make cell phones for a living not TVs like Samsung.

big_bopper

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love Samsung's products...usually. But I for the life of me find their cell phones feel cheap, and I don't like the UI. The Screen doesn't surprise me as being great, becuase what do they do best...TVs! I just think in general HTC makes a better cell phone in most all cases, why...because they make cell phones for a living not TVs like Samsung.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: kristi

hank1199

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Don't go Samsung. You'll regret it 3 months from now when you're still waiting for 2.2 to be released...

I agree, forget purchasing the Epic and go with either the Evo Shift or its big brother the Evo. I went through 4 Epics before I exchange the damn thing. Don't let the Amoled and keyboard sway you in. You will pay for it in the long run. :mad:

Reactions: jjeffcoat

bandoogiemanz

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
I purchased an epic, but I haven't activated it yet. I am thinking about returning it for the shift. I am hearing so many good things about this phone. I was wondering if any of you guys have watched any movies or tv shows on it. How do they look? I think Sammy's AMOLED is about the only thing causing me to be hesitant about sending the Epic back. Also, I am reading alot about new dual core phones coming out later this year? Anyone have any ideas if Sprint will debut some new phones with phyiscal keyboards, utilizing this technology? Thanks.

Stiv_X

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I find that the resolution on the Shift is very good. It is 480 x 800 like its big brither the OG EVO but in a smaller screen making it much clearer. However, it will not be as good as the 4" SAMOLED screen of the Epic. This is the only thing that I feel the Epic has better than the Shift, though. Everything else from build quality, FroYo, updates, hardware, software, sense vs touchwiz, etc, etc, etc. I love the screen of the Epic, but that is all. While I like the layout of the keyboard on the Epic, it feels way too plastic-like and I feel it could break too easily. This is my opinion, though.

mbeezy

Sep 6, 2009
Visit site
well i wacthed the review and i went with the evo shift 4g since the software is better than the epic.

Good choice Samsung phones have too many issues IMO. HTC makes the best hardware atleast from my experiences.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk.

hank1199

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Good choice Samsung phones have too many issues IMO. HTC makes the best hardware atleast from my experiences.

Sent from my EVO using tapatalk.

HTC does make some high quality phones. Before I went to Sprint's Evo, I had the G2 from T-Mobile which was an awesome phone. However, the hinge on the Qwerty key board was not tight enough and would fall on gravity (annoying). Aesthetically and functionality the Evo shift supersedes the G2. Nevertheless, HTC had corrected the hinge issue and customers received replacements. IMO, HTC ensures quality (to satisfy consumers) rather than quantities sold.

The only benefit to owning an Epic is the 16gb sd card and photo fx. However, if you live near a Fry's electronics you can pick up 16gb for cheap to replace the 2gb sd card in the Shift. The photo fx on the Epic are nice but I rarely used them or even print an image utilizing the fx. If you want a front facing camera, than buy yourself the Evo so you can look good on much larger screen (lol).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newprvn