and I am amazed at how fast this thing really is. I am also shocked at how long the battery actually lasts. I had a hard time deciding between the Shift or the OG Evo, but in the end I went with the physical keyboard and better processor (won't be long before I decide to root it and overclock it to its full potential). I do wish it had a front facing camera, but having never used one, it is hard to miss it. I do love the size of the Evo, but at 3.6" the screen on the Shift is bigger than what I previously had and the iPhone 4 (which is 3.5"). So, I can't really complain about anything. I can list a few minor things I wish it had, but what it does have is outstanding. This is a phone designed for those that need a keyboard or don't want one as big as the OG Evo. Well done, HTC.
    01-09-2011 10:35 AM
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I returned my Evo to get the Shift and I love it. My cousin who liked the OG Evo and thought it was decent, and has a BB Curve 3G wants my Shift. He couldn't put it down last night. I went almost all day yesterday with the phone off the charger. So much better than the OG.

Oh yeah, Gameboid with a keyboard is so much better. :-D
    01-09-2011 11:39 AM
    I think the display is better than the EVO simply because they are both 480 x 800. With the smaller screen, it seems clearer to me than the EVO's.

To all the EVO owners: don't worry; you still have the flagship phone and one of most noticable of all cellphones out there...even by enthusiats. The Shift is not designed to replace the EVO. It is simply meant to add to the family that is EVO. It is a damn good addition IMO.
    01-09-2011 01:06 PM
    Coming from a G2, I love the Desire Z form factor. I'm going to be switching to Sprint because while I have a great device, only having EDGE service for what we pay is not worth it any longer. I'd love to have an Evo, but as much as I use Swype, there are times that having a physical keyboard is more efficient.
    01-09-2011 01:22 PM
    The evo shift seems nice, but I did look at it side by side with the EPic 4g, and the epic 4g screen to me looked a lot sharper...how much faster should the processor on the evo shift 4g be compared to the epic 4g?

I admit I walked into a sprint to check out the shift and I was annoyed that they had it locked up--i could touch the screen but the keyboard was stuck ...very silly to me...the epic sure seems nice..although I am worried about the gps issue with the samsung galaxy s phones..
    01-09-2011 04:16 PM
    I'm happy to know that you are happy with your EVO shift.

I'm also happy with my EVO.

I can't wait to see what Sprint will come with next.
    01-09-2011 04:20 PM
    the epic sure seems nice..although I am worried about the gps issue with the samsung galaxy s phones..
    and microphone issues and touchwiz and sticky back keys (heard a lot of people complaining bout this) and dissapearing buttons at the bottom and samsungs slow/non-existing update schedule and the general cheap feeling of the phone istelf and the $100 price difference and........
    01-09-2011 04:25 PM
    After two days, I am falling in love with this phone, and I'm picky about a good screen. This ones as crisp as can be. Super fast. Fast, solid keyboard. Camera's ok, not the best by any means, but fine in good light. Call quality on my model isnt great, imho. Others were able to return and have the tinny issue resolved with a new model. I switched mine out today, to no avail. Salesman thinks I should check back next week or two when they get a new batch in, as the audio is supposed to be decent. We'll see. Beyond that...amore.
    01-09-2011 04:29 PM
    and microphone issues and touchwiz and sticky back keys (heard a lot of people complaining bout this) and dissapearing buttons at the bottom and samsungs slow/non-existing update schedule and the general cheap feeling of the phone istelf and the $100 price difference and........
    Disappearing buttons at the bottom is pretty easy to correct in the settings.

The Epic does have flaws, but that is not one of them. The poor updates and development is number one, followed by poor storage, and finally, the GPS issues. Overall, it actually feels better than the other Galaxy S phones, which really feel cheap.

But truth be told, I wouldn't get either phone right now. With the ARM Cortex A9 phones around the corner, this generation of phones is going to be like the HTC Hero when the Nexus One came out.
    01-09-2011 04:42 PM
    the only problem with the epic is samsngs imputance when it comes to updating software. I'd imagine this will change soon since the nexus s is now on board with Samsung. Since the hardware is similar I'd imagine they'd pump gingerbread kinda fast.

Other than the slow updates I have no problem. No GPS problems or anything else. But I do wish it had a noise cancelling mic and a better speaker. Its OK but not great. And the epic is actually the best built galaxy s phone out of the bunch.

I understand wanting to put down something you don't have to justify your buy but its not necessary.

And I agree anyone buying a phone now is foolish due to the dual core guys right around the corner. Although sprint didn't announce one yet. The atrix seems awesome though.

Anyways the shift is a nice phone for those that are interested in a smaller screen and HTC
    01-09-2011 05:54 PM
    And I agree anyone buying a phone now is foolish due to the dual core guys right around the corner. Although sprint didn't announce one yet.
    I don't think dual core is necessary for the average user. A little more zip is nice, but does it really make sense to be unhappy with an old device for another 3 months?
    01-09-2011 06:29 PM
    I don't think dual core is necessary for the average user. A little more zip is nice, but does it really make sense to be unhappy with an old device for another 3 months?
    Excellent point. I have no doubt the EVO 2 or whatever it will be called will come out in the summertime. However, for the next few months, why not indulge a little knowing that if you are a premier customer (most likely) that you then will have a phone that will keep you happy for the next year. A year is not long if you are happy. Meanwhile, 4 - 6 months is a long time if you are unhappy with your device.
    01-09-2011 06:44 PM
    To echo what other have said, I'm crazy about this phone. It has a firm, solid, quality feel to it. It's fast and has amazing battery life in the time I've used it.

I came from a Palm Pre (tons of patches and 1ghz overclocked) and while I still like webOS, I don't miss a thing when I have this in my hand.

As for people that keep comparing to the EVO....why? Different phones for different people. My brother has an EVO and couldn't wait to try out my new Shift. After we both played with each other toys (nohomo), we both felt that we made the right choice for ourselves. He wouldn't be as happy with a Shift and I wouldn't be as happy with an EVO. Maybe that's why HTC/Sprint sells both...call me crazy.
    yibrushn likes this.
    01-09-2011 07:02 PM
    To echo what other have said, I'm crazy about this phone. It has a firm, solid, quality feel to it. It's fast and has amazing battery life in the time I've used it.

I came from a Palm Pre (tons of patches and 1ghz overclocked) and while I still like webOS, I don't miss a thing when I have this in my hand.

As for people that keep comparing to the EVO....why? Different phones for different people. My brother has an EVO and couldn't wait to try out my new Shift. After we both played with each other toys (nohomo), we both felt that we made the right choice for ourselves. He wouldn't be as happy with a Shift and I wouldn't be as happy with an EVO. Maybe that's why HTC/Sprint sells both...call me crazy.
    How is the battery life compared to the Pre so far? I just ditched the Pre for the Optimus, and the Pre had it better, so I'm considering returning for the shift.
    01-09-2011 08:15 PM
    How is the battery life compared to the Pre so far? I just ditched the Pre for the Optimus, and the Pre had it better, so I'm considering returning for the shift.
    No comparison, Shift has much better battery life than my Pre ever did.

That includes stock kernal all the way up to screenstate 1ghz/500mhz.
    01-09-2011 08:23 PM
    Coming from a G2, I love the Desire Z form factor. I'm going to be switching to Sprint because while I have a great device, only having EDGE service for what we pay is not worth it any longer. I'd love to have an Evo, but as much as I use Swype, there are times that having a physical keyboard is more efficient.
    I've found typing on the screen to be annoying. I've been looking at the shift. I've only had my EVO since December 17 and have invested in both a Seido 3500 Extended battery and an extended battery ruggedized case, so I'll likely just stick with what I have, but I do miss having a physical keyboard ALOT!!
    01-09-2011 10:20 PM
    only had the Shift for a day, but can already tell it is going be excellent as far as battery life goes...
    01-10-2011 09:50 AM
    I understand wanting to put down something you don't have to justify your buy but its not necessary.
    i didnt mean to come off like i was putting it down to justify my buy (i do see how it seems like im saying that though)...there have been a lot of serious complaints about the epic that i was trying to highlight them to someone who might be deciding between the two and immediately think the epic is a better phone because of the specs without knowing about these problems...sorry if i came off like a bit of a troll
    01-10-2011 10:57 AM
    Really? My girlfriend has said the exact opposite since switching from the Pre to the Optimus. She said the Optimus battery lasts forever, and she doesn't nanny her running apps like most of us here do.
    01-10-2011 12:03 PM
    Really? My girlfriend has said the exact opposite since switching from the Pre to the Optimus. She said the Optimus battery lasts forever, and she doesn't nanny her running apps like most of us here do.
    Yep. I could usually go 36 hours or more with the Pre and the Optimus I can go about 24. This is with constant email reading, sending maybe 5 emails/day, and sending 20 texts/day.
    01-10-2011 05:53 PM
    I never got that kind of life out of my Pre... that's pretty good!
    01-11-2011 08:48 AM
    I never got that kind of life out of my Pre... that's pretty good!
    x2

About the best I could hope for with moderate usage was 18-24 hours. If I forgot to drop it on the touchtone overnight, I would white knuckling it all the way to the office the next day. I realize I was over-clocked during most of this time, but there were many occasions I would revert back to the stock setting to test out new patches or glitches and it wasn't any better. I also never stepped up from the stock 1150 mAh battery so I wasn't really expected much more out of it.

Needless to say, that is not a problem so far with the Shift.
    01-11-2011 09:06 AM
    I like the look of the Evo shift. It looks really slick.
    01-11-2011 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD