Signal Strength vs EVO

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My g/f got the evo I and got the evo shift - She constantly has 1-2 bars more signal than me.

That and at home this shift get 1 or 2 bars always, not like my pre with mostly full bars at home.

Has anyone noticed weak signal with the shift?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
My g/f got the evo I and got the evo shift - She constantly has 1-2 bars more signal than me.

That and at home this shift get 1 or 2 bars always, not like my pre with mostly full bars at home.

Has anyone noticed weak signal with the shift?

sometimes its not always the actual strength, like on my fascinate before i put on a new rom i read 1bar, but now with it rom'd i see full signal strength. Are your calls dropping?

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Most phone radio transmitter pick up stronger than others. Or there is something preventing your phone from getting full signal.

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
but would it be entirely wrong to assume that your 3G signal is ~ your voice signal?? I mean, one wouldn't expect full 3G signal somewhere where they only have 1 bar of voice signal... is that even possible??

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
but would it be entirely wrong to assume that your 3G signal is ~ your voice signal?? I mean, one wouldn't expect full 3G signal somewhere where they only have 1 bar of voice signal... is that even possible??

heres some data info:

I did a full factory reset using the settings menu method, after a prl/profile update, and using the speedtest app:
speeds with 3g - 139kbps down, 177 up, and 890ms ping
speeds with wifi - about 4200kbps down, 1500 up, and 77 ping
speeds with 4g enabled - 1795kbps up, 316 down and 117ms ping

So whats with that? 4g uses different towers??

Should I call sprint about the crappy 3g service at home?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
We can settle this right now. Anyone that has both phones side by side please try this.

Go to settings>about phone>Network and look at signal strength. That's the real signal strength. HTC determines how to display it on the meter. The number of bars you have has nothing to do with your signal strength (anyone remember antennagate?).

edgemaster191

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
my signal strength and 3G speeds are on par with what i was getting with my Evo in the same location. between 2 and 4 bars and averaging between 300 and 600kbps. i have also noticed that my Shift does a much better job at roaming then the Evo does. i was out yesterday and noticed my Shift roaming with full service and my Evo was roaming with 1 bar.

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
We can settle this right now. Anyone that has both phones side by side please try this.

Go to settings>about phone>Network and look at signal strength. That's the real signal strength. HTC determines how to display it on the meter. The number of bars you have has nothing to do with your signal strength (anyone remember antennagate?).

I see now such submenu labeled "network" on the evo shift. Only:
phone id
battery
hardware...
software....
legal

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It might be in a slightly different location. It's gotta be there somewhere. Maybe in a different area in settings. It's weird that it's in different places.

You can also get mobile signal widget from the market to check your signal strength. It can display in dbm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo