My g/f got the evo I and got the evo shift - She constantly has 1-2 bars more signal than me.

That and at home this shift get 1 or 2 bars always, not like my pre with mostly full bars at home.

Has anyone noticed weak signal with the shift?
    01-09-2011 05:08 PM
    My g/f got the evo I and got the evo shift - She constantly has 1-2 bars more signal than me.

That and at home this shift get 1 or 2 bars always, not like my pre with mostly full bars at home.

Has anyone noticed weak signal with the shift?
    sometimes its not always the actual strength, like on my fascinate before i put on a new rom i read 1bar, but now with it rom'd i see full signal strength. Are your calls dropping?
    01-09-2011 05:11 PM
    Most phone radio transmitter pick up stronger than others. Or there is something preventing your phone from getting full signal.
    01-09-2011 05:15 PM
    sometimes its not always the actual strength, like on my fascinate before i put on a new rom i read 1bar, but now with it rom'd i see full signal strength. Are your calls dropping?
    no dropped calls, but slow internet when using apps that connect
    01-09-2011 05:41 PM
    i dont think the voice and data signal are parallel but i could be wrong.
    01-09-2011 05:47 PM
    Update your data profile on the device. Menu > Settings > System update > data profile.
    01-09-2011 05:52 PM
    i dont think the voice and data signal are parallel but i could be wrong.
    No, your not wrong they are indeed separate.
    01-09-2011 05:54 PM
    but would it be entirely wrong to assume that your 3G signal is ~ your voice signal?? I mean, one wouldn't expect full 3G signal somewhere where they only have 1 bar of voice signal... is that even possible??
    01-09-2011 09:37 PM
    but would it be entirely wrong to assume that your 3G signal is ~ your voice signal?? I mean, one wouldn't expect full 3G signal somewhere where they only have 1 bar of voice signal... is that even possible??
    heres some data info:

I did a full factory reset using the settings menu method, after a prl/profile update, and using the speedtest app:
    speeds with 3g - 139kbps down, 177 up, and 890ms ping
    speeds with wifi - about 4200kbps down, 1500 up, and 77 ping
    speeds with 4g enabled - 1795kbps up, 316 down and 117ms ping

So whats with that? 4g uses different towers??

Should I call sprint about the crappy 3g service at home?
    01-09-2011 09:44 PM
    The antenna is at the bottom of this phone so watch that your hand dosen't cover it up.
    01-09-2011 10:27 PM
    I just tried the speedtest app. With 3G averaging 540 kbps. Is this normal / acceptable?
    01-10-2011 09:10 AM
    We can settle this right now. Anyone that has both phones side by side please try this.

Go to settings>about phone>Network and look at signal strength. That's the real signal strength. HTC determines how to display it on the meter. The number of bars you have has nothing to do with your signal strength (anyone remember antennagate?).
    01-10-2011 09:42 AM
    my signal strength and 3G speeds are on par with what i was getting with my Evo in the same location. between 2 and 4 bars and averaging between 300 and 600kbps. i have also noticed that my Shift does a much better job at roaming then the Evo does. i was out yesterday and noticed my Shift roaming with full service and my Evo was roaming with 1 bar.
    01-10-2011 09:56 AM
    We can settle this right now. Anyone that has both phones side by side please try this.

Go to settings>about phone>Network and look at signal strength. That's the real signal strength. HTC determines how to display it on the meter. The number of bars you have has nothing to do with your signal strength (anyone remember antennagate?).
    I see now such submenu labeled "network" on the evo shift. Only:
    phone id
    battery
    hardware...
    software....
    legal
    01-10-2011 10:00 AM
    I see only those listed above as well, I don't see "Network" to let me check my strength
    01-10-2011 10:45 AM
    It might be in a slightly different location. It's gotta be there somewhere. Maybe in a different area in settings. It's weird that it's in different places.

You can also get mobile signal widget from the market to check your signal strength. It can display in dbm.
    01-10-2011 10:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD