Troubles syncing contacts.

tkmaxwell

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a Shift and am having some troubles merging my facebook contacts with my numbers already in my phone. I have pressed the link button on each contact but the same name still comes up double on my contacts list. I have also pressed sync a few times in 'accounts & sync.' Is there something I am not doing right?

I am coming from a pre so android is fairly new to me.

tkmaxwell

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I do not know what I am doing. I will press a contact that I have a phone number for and press the link button for their facebook contact and it says "done" but nothing happens. There are still two contacts for the same name and their facebook pictures does not show up when I do text messages, phone calls, etc.

Krgdesigns

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem when BB tried to sync my contacts when I had the OG Evo, are you syncing your contacts the first time thru bluetooth? Its a bit confusing at first but you will get used to it and like it. You may want to try what the other poster said and look for duplicates then try and link with facebook after

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You may have to delete the comments from your gmail under the contacts section. Check to make sure that google contacts wins out over the phone (I forget how, but if I remember, I will post directions). Also go to people, press menu, then view. Turn off phone contacts.

tkmaxwell

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I have tried everything mentioned but it still does not get rid of names showing up multiple times. When I have from phonebook, google acount, and facebook all viewable even after linking the names they still show up as duplicates.

Am I supposed to link them all then have the other ones not show? It seems like they should be able to merge into one.

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have experiencing the same problem in the past, duplication takes place after or during syncing and it's really frustrating. I think you better do the same thing as I do. I used Scrubly Duplicate Contacts Remover, it works well for me. There are other suitable features for you. Just give it a try. Hope this helps. Thanks.

davecttt

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
me too

I have experiencing the same problem in the past, duplication takes place after or during syncing and it's really frustrating. I think you better do the same thing as I do. I used Scrubly Duplicate Contacts Remover, it works well for me. There are other suitable features for you. Just give it a try. Hope this helps. Thanks.

I too use his program and it got rid of most of my duplicates. I do have one contact however that no matter what I do won't go away.

254Slimm

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem syncing my contacts. I click "link" but nothing happens. Ive tried all the suggestions listed above but nothing works. Any more suggestions?

Sonkway

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same problem! Nothing seemed to work. Then some routine trouble-shooting later I discovered that simply deleting the contact and then creating a new one for the individual allowed me to successfully link them to Facebook. Not sure if it matters but I created them as google contacts. I hope this helps!!!

KimBob249

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Im having the exact same problem syncing my contacts. I click "link" but nothing happens. Ive tried all the suggestions listed above but nothing works. Any more suggestions?

My man and I just got new EVO Shifts yesterday and I was unable to get linking to "stay" for his FB contacts (click link, link it, done, and nothing) so HE figured out that it's the Group the contact is listed under in the people directory that makes a difference, and it may be related to the FB privacy settings (friends only perhaps)... but what he did was:

Edit contact in the phone, and change the "Group" to friend. Now it will allow a link to be maintained.

I had a Hero, and all my Google contacts worked but he came off of a Rumor which didn't translate well to the new phone I think. I searched here for an answer last night so I thought I'd share, hope it works for someone :)

Reactions: Lifedelinquent

fwv3232

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I came from the Pre also, and here is my tip. WARNING, VERY TIME CONSUMING. First, make sure you contacts are listed as Google contacts. Also, make sure you are on 3G or 4G and not Wifi....goto the contact you want to link and click edit contact; click on the contacts name and make sure it is listed as you want it - click ok; scroll down on the next screen and click save; after pop-up says saving contact go up to the Link button and connect the pac-man sympbols under the link that you want (ie facebook, twitte, etc); click done - the screen should dim and then the Link button in the top right should go to "linked." You are done - now you just have to apply this for all the other contact you have. Only way I found to complete this action if you links weren't picked up when moving contacts from another phone. Hope this helps!

Kathy145

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have my facebook account linked to my Shift. However, some contact photos are not showing up automatically. So, I have gone directly into individual contacts and "linked" the phone contact to the facebook contact. I select done and the contact reloads. It does not reload with the contacts linked and no facebook picture appears. I have repeated these actions repeatedly with the same result. It seems as if I can not get some contacts to link. I have been able to get some of my contacts to successfully link to their facebook account, but not most.

Also, what are the difference between a Phone Contact and a Google Contact? Are there ways to merge them into all Google Contacts. It would be nice to manage all contacts from my Google account and on my computer.

Thanks!

MnkyVirgo

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the HTC Evo Shift four days ago... and I seem to be having the same issue. I keep linking contacts; but it just doesn't take. I did have a handful that I was able to link; but it seems a bit stubborn about those, as well. I'm going to try the aforementioned tricks. I LOVE the phone... Just a minor software glitch, it seems.

Kathy145

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I am also curious if there is a way to join/group "phone" contacts and "Google" contacts? For example I have one person that has a Facebook contact, google and phone. Maybe its because I'm a former BB user, but I would prefer one contact per person.

Thanks Much!!!!

googlegirl170

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Shift a few days ago & am having same issue with one of my contacts not sending to Facebook. All my other contacts are linked just fine, it is just one that will not link. I've tried several times, even tried deleting the contact & re-adding it & still no success. It's frustrating. If you have figured out how to fix this issue please let me know. Thanks.
I had the HTC Hero prior & had no problems with the contact linking to Facebook .

kevinwska

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My man and I just got new EVO Shifts yesterday and I was unable to get linking to "stay" for his FB contacts (click link, link it, done, and nothing) so HE figured out that it's the Group the contact is listed under in the people directory that makes a difference, and it may be related to the FB privacy settings (friends only perhaps)... but what he did was:

Edit contact in the phone, and change the "Group" to friend. Now it will allow a link to be maintained.

I had a Hero, and all my Google contacts worked but he came off of a Rumor which didn't translate well to the new phone I think. I searched here for an answer last night so I thought I'd share, hope it works for someone :)

Just tried this on a friend that wouldn't sync and it worked. Thanks for the tip!

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have my facebook account linked to my Shift. However, some contact photos are not showing up automatically. So, I have gone directly into individual contacts and "linked" the phone contact to the facebook contact. I select done and the contact reloads. It does not reload with the contacts linked and no facebook picture appears. I have repeated these actions repeatedly with the same result. It seems as if I can not get some contacts to link. I have been able to get some of my contacts to successfully link to their facebook account, but not most.

Also, what are the difference between a Phone Contact and a Google Contact? Are there ways to merge them into all Google Contacts. It would be nice to manage all contacts from my Google account and on my computer.

Thanks!

I've been using the Android OS since the HTC Droid Eris came out...

"phone contact" = contact created on your phone and possibly not synced with google contacts nor is it in any of your gmail contacts via the web interface. It's only on your phone. If I am wrong then, please correct me. I use gmail contacts exclusively to work with my contacts so I have never had to use "phone contacts".

"google contacts" = your contacts on any of the gmail addresses that you have added to your phone.

1) back up all your contacts to your micro sd card **FIRST** before you do anything.

2) google contacts can import .vcf files which, the sd card back up of your contacts in step one IS.

3) attach your evo shift 4g to your computer with the usb cord. you should see a screen that give you options, use the "phone as a disk drive option".

4) open a dialog box to look at your micro sd card and find the file you backed up. (just so you know where to look and what the name is)

4a) have your phone stop syncing your gmail contacts....you must do this before going on. (home screen > menu > settings > accounts and sync > select all appropriate gmail accounts)

5) go to gmail.com, sign in, and select "contacts". You will see an option for "import contacts" on left hand side of the screen under the group list.

6) select "import contacts". the resulting dialog box will ask you to choose the .csv or vcard (.vcf) file you want to import. NOTE --- if you already have contacts stored in your gmail account you may want to opt for the option to create a new group for the imported contacts. However, when backing up your contacts to the sd card (on the phone) you will have the option to choose which contacts to back up. Click "browse" and then find the .vcf file with you backed up contacts on your phone.

7) After step 6, manually change the imported contacts and ensure that all gmail contacts are ready to be synced with the phone.

8) To avoid sync problems, you will want to clear you phones contacts. This is why I said to back up all of your contacts before starting this procedure. (see 9 and 9a)

9) go to "people". hit "menu" then "delete". once you see all your contacts listed, hit the "menu" key again and select "select all".

9a) go to home screen. then hit "menu" ---> "settings" ---> "applications" ---> "manage applications" ---> select the "all" tab. Navigate to "contacts storage". Select "contacts storage" then select "clear data". select "Okay or yes" to any dialogue boxes. *** Note this will delete all contact data and cannot be undone. Make sure you have a back up of all your contacts before doing this!! *** This is important to get rid of any residual data that may cause any sync problems for you.

10) Presuming your gmail contacts are ready to go and be synced, have your phone sync your gmail contacts again. See step 4a for how to turn sync on again.

All of you apps are now gmail contacts and you can modify, add, delete on your phone or on gmail contacts.

If for some reason, gmail does not allow you to import your phones .vcf file (remember the step where you backed up the contacts on your phone before you did any deleting or clearing memory...) then you can restore the deleted contacts that you backed up on your memory card. Once you do all this, then it will be easier to work with your contacts. I have had 4 google phones (HTC Evo Shif is my 4th) and I have had my entire calendar and contacts on google so changing phones was painless in regard to my calendar and contacts. Now getting my apps back....make a list of those. google app market only remembers the paid apps, not the free ones.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

*** Note...always properly disconnect your phone and micro sd card from you computer before removing the usb cable. When your done with using your the micro sd card file (the vcard or .vcf file). Your computer may require you to us the "disconnect" option too BEFORE going to the phone. If it's windows 7....I use mac so I can't help you with that. However Win XP and Vista have an icon on the start menu bar near the time, click that icon and choose the micro sd card. vista should have the ability to disconnect a drive from within the "my computer" dialogue box. Mac is easy...drag the icon on the desktop to the trash, ensure that you see "eject" and let go of the mouse...boom your done. This will remove the sd card via the phone: **from the home screen*** "menu" > "notifications" > "usb connected" or something like that > "charge only".

Last edited:

vintagetechtm

Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased a Shift and am having some troubles merging my facebook contacts with my numbers already in my phone. I have pressed the link button on each contact but the same name still comes up double on my contacts list. I have also pressed sync a few times in 'accounts & sync.' Is there something I am not doing right?

I am coming from a pre so android is fairly new to me.

I used to use the HTC FB app to only sync my FB contacts. I noticed that some pictures would not change. To be exact, I changed my FB pic but the Evo Shift didn't update it. I tend to a FB hater in that sometimes too much personal info is posted for all the world to see...so I limit what I put on FB. I said the previous statement to illustrate why I have done the following: I have disabled FB contact sync altogether. I also noted that If you don't have the person's name just so in your contact list then FB will not pick the person up and you have to manually match them. This is another reason why I abandoned FB contact sync like it was the titanic...I didn't feel like changing info to match FB unless it is necessary.

What I can tell you is....see my post down further in response to the difference between phone contacts and gmail contacts.

You can delete all your contact in the "people" and in the settings > applications > contacts storage to that you can start fresh and then see what happens with the FB sync problems. Remember though....back up, back up, back up before you delete anything from your phone.

My solution may be a last option after others have been tried due to the time commitment and permanently deleting contacts off you phone is well....permanent --- so back up all contact data before you delete (I know that I'm beating a dead horse but, I'd rather warn people then have people hating on me).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie