01-29-2011 12:39 PM
26 12
tools
    How do your keyboards feel when shut? I definitely get a little bit of play...nothing concerning, unless it ever got noticeably worse. This is my first slider phone, so I guess it's to be expected to a small degree?

really loving this phone.
    01-15-2011 12:11 AM
    Mine seems real stiff but my wife's has a very, very small amount of play. She hasn't said anything about it and loves her new phone with a passion and I will not ruin that by saying anything to her about it, LOL. Besides she wants to put a case on it which will probably work better if it isn't super stiff. I assume it will happen to mine in time as the slider gets worked a little. I don't mind as long as it isn't accidentally opening on me when I don't want it to.
    01-15-2011 12:29 AM
    very very little wiggle, almost as if the indent for the catch ball is slightly oversized. I dont think it will be a problem in the long run. Make sure to take the protective covering off the sides of the slider and the ack of the screen, it will give it a more fluid slide.
    01-15-2011 11:43 AM
    very very little wiggle, almost as if the indent for the catch ball is slightly oversized. I dont think it will be a problem in the long run. Make sure to take the protective covering off the sides of the slider and the ack of the screen, it will give it a more fluid slide.
    Hahaha... I hadn't even noticed the protective covering there. LOL
    01-15-2011 11:59 AM
    I had small amount of play right out of the box, got a new one from the dealer, and it felt the same. Even the display did it...but I have been working the hell out of this phone before my 30 day is up...I am pretty sold on this monster
    01-15-2011 09:14 PM
    Hahaha... I hadn't even noticed the protective covering there. LOL
    I didn't notice the covering on the back of the screen...or that it says with Google lol
    01-15-2011 09:27 PM
    Pretty much the same for me. Just a little play.
    01-15-2011 09:46 PM
    Its an HTC slider I have had 4 an PPC6700, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2 and now the Shift. All of the older ones developed some wiggle but this device feels better then the others. This device feels solid when closed I am sure at sole point it will develop some looseness but just from the feel of things so far I think it will last longer than my other sliders did.

MHO,
    Dave
    01-15-2011 10:02 PM
    Is the cover on the back that says google a protective cover or a sticker? Before reading this post I started to remove it but it almost seemed more like a sticker than the other protective coverings that came off really easy so I left it alone.
    01-16-2011 12:17 AM
    Is the cover on the back that says google a protective cover or a sticker? Before reading this post I started to remove it but it almost seemed more like a sticker than the other protective coverings that came off really easy so I left it alone.
    You can take them off if you want but I always leave them on it doesn't huts ether way.

Cool,
    Dave
    01-16-2011 06:35 AM
    It is a protective cover. When you remove it your phone still says "with Google".
    01-16-2011 04:32 PM
    I left mine on.. t seems to keep the slider more sturdy with not as much play. Just make sure you have insurance on your phones.. its only a magnet that hold it in place. Not like the normal sprint loaded phones.
    01-18-2011 12:43 AM
    I left mine on.. t seems to keep the slider more sturdy with not as much play. Just make sure you have insurance on your phones.. its only a magnet that hold it in place. Not like the normal sprint loaded phones.
    I agree that it makes it feel sturdier. After I took the protective coating off the back I began to feel a slight wiggle that I hadn't felt before. As a result, I decided not to remove the protective coating on the sides of the keyboard.
    01-18-2011 01:01 AM
    I have been able to make it tight by flipping the clips to the side so that the opening of the clip is sideways pointing away from the phone. If you slide open the keyboard and on the back you will see a small clip above the gold strip, turn the clip sideways with a small pin and this will make the phone tight when closed. You have to do this on both sides.
    nbunn3 likes this.
    01-18-2011 07:45 AM
    i kinda wish i never took the covering off the back off the screen....my keyboard opens a little too easily now and i worry its gonna get looser over time too....just gonna have to be more careful i guess (a little too nervous to try the gold pin turning idea above me)
    01-18-2011 08:07 AM
    Every slider develops wiggle and I mean every last one. Mine feels fine now but then again only had the phone for a few days.
    01-18-2011 10:43 AM
    Every slider develops wiggle and I mean every last one. Mine feels fine now but then again only had the phone for a few days.
    That's true. But some sliders seems to be better constructed than others. The Droid 2 slider seems to be the best that I have ever tried.
    01-19-2011 01:51 AM
    i kinda wish i never took the covering off the back off the screen....my keyboard opens a little too easily now and i worry its gonna get looser over time too....just gonna have to be more careful i guess (a little too nervous to try the gold pin turning idea above me)
    I was a little nervous too, but as curious as i am, i grabbed my knife and flipped them just now. I didnt exactly know what i was flipping at first but its the little plastic looking piece ABOVE the gold strip.. I flipped it and WOW. It definitely helped.. alot.. so dont be afraid it works wonders. Now i love it more. LOL
    01-20-2011 07:42 PM
    I have been able to make it tight by flipping the clips to the side so that the opening of the clip is sideways pointing away from the phone. If you slide open the keyboard and on the back you will see a small clip above the gold strip, turn the clip sideways with a small pin and this will make the phone tight when closed. You have to do this on both sides.
    WOW!!!! Worked wonders. Thanks!
    01-20-2011 07:42 PM
    WOW!!!! Worked wonders. Thanks!
    I agree!
    01-21-2011 06:12 PM
    That's true. But some sliders seems to be better constructed than others. The Droid 2 slider seems to be the best that I have ever tried.
    Yeah the droids do fell really good. The shift, imho, feels almost the same as the moto droids. But I guess time will tell if this slider proves to be business worthy.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    01-21-2011 09:30 PM
    I am on my second shift, first one had no play in wiggle room. Second one did, i will work the hell out of this phone before the 30 days and if i get a noticeable amount of wiggle i will go get another. At this point there is nothing worth be concerned about.

it does have a lot less wiggle room then any of my epics had, i can say that.
    01-22-2011 03:21 AM
    Its an HTC slider I have had 4 an PPC6700, Touch Pro, Touch Pro2 and now the Shift. All of the older ones developed some wiggle but this device feels better then the others. This device feels solid when closed I am sure at sole point it will develop some looseness but just from the feel of things so far I think it will last longer than my other sliders did.
    How long did the others last? I'm hoping for two years out of this phone.

I am on my second shift ... i will work the hell out of this phone before the 30 days...
    What was wrong with the first one that you've already returned it?
    01-28-2011 02:11 PM
    A lot less play than my old Palm Pre.
    01-28-2011 02:23 PM
    A lot less play than my old Palm Pre.
    I'm also coming from the Pre. By the end of the time I had it, it was Oreo'd pretty badly and I had to wiggle the screen to get sound to work when making phone calls. It didn't start that way though. The fact that this phone has two rails instead of one is definitely reassuring. I couldn't find any durability tests online anywhere -- if anyone has seen one, I'd appreciate a link.
    01-28-2011 06:07 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD