Just wondering if any of you can go into some detail about protecting the camera lens or even if it even needs to be protected. I currently have the Sprint case on my phone which protects the lens on flat services. Here are a few questions.

Is the actual lens plastic or glass?

Do you all pocket your phone? Any issues thus far with the lens?

On other HTC phones there is an extra part of plastic on the backplate it doesn't appear to be the case with the shift. Thanks ahead of time for any input.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my EVO Shift using Tapatalk
    01-18-2011 09:58 AM
    Ive honestly never had an issue with lenses, but I too got the sprint case/holster just in case. Not 100% settled on it though and might go with the tried and true seidio case and pair it with a 1700mah battery.
    01-18-2011 10:23 AM
    Martin Fields sells screen protectors and they usually come with a lens protector as well. They don't have one for the Evo Shift yet but here is one for the Evo for example. I would guess they will stock the Shift soon. Would be one option for you.

Martin Fields Overlay Plus Screen Protector (HTC EVO 4G)
    01-18-2011 10:54 AM
    What you're referring to isn't REALLY the lens. The LENS as you refer is actually the protection for the lens (Dust cover). The lens is the part actually under that piece of glass/plastic and is slightly concave and its only around 1mm across.

I do understand the want/desire to protect the 1/2 inch cover and I could see several ways of doing this.

Easiest way is to get the "official" HTC case (hardcover) which puts an extra 1mm of plastic elevation over it.

OR, since the actual lens is so small, you could conceivably get any "solid" screen protector, take a normal size hole punch and make you a 1/4 inch punch of it and put it right in the center to protect it. Only use a crystal clear one, and NOT a rubberized one like the Zagg.

In a pinch, you could probably use super clear scotch type tape even.

Keep in mind, any additional layers over the "provided" dust cover and you risk adding in distortion to your photos. Of course, a big scratch on that cover will add distortion to your photo too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. ha
    01-18-2011 01:36 PM
    Wow some great info and suggestions. I appreciate the help. I think I will go with the hole punch method for now and see what the future brings.

Sent from my EVO Shift using Tapatalk
    01-18-2011 02:21 PM
    Yeah, definitly protect it somehow. It seems about the same as the Evo's and my girl's already scratched her's good laying it down.
    01-18-2011 08:33 PM
    I had not noticed this before, but the camera cover does seem a bit exposed. If I was designing this phone I would have recessed it a bit to protect it.

I don't usually lay it around however, either in my case, or in my holsters at work or the car.

I like the hole punched screen protector trick. Simple enough to replace a protector versus the cover.
    01-22-2011 11:45 AM
    Ive noticed while in the case, when i lay the phone down it is protected by the case. I have never had a protector over the dust guard, but now all of you have made me wonder...
    01-22-2011 02:31 PM
    Mine's in the "black n blue" HTC case. I'm not doing a protector either.
    01-22-2011 10:14 PM
    Me too the htc case from the sprint store, i like this case a lot. but i will see how the seidio innocase surface looks, and whether it elevates the camera lens or not.
    01-23-2011 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD