Why the frick is Facebook running ALL THE TIME?

CaliCat

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thread title sez it all... EVERY TIME I look at my running apps, Facebook is listed, along with Flickr. I do a "force stop" and they both disappear from the list. I go out and maybe just go to Market or Weather or even my home screen, anything random - doesn't seem to matter - and the next time I check, there's Facebook & Flickr again! :mad: I mean, WTH? I'm definitely NOT logged in to FB, I'm sure, so why does it keep showing up there? I don't want it running in the background... I'm having cr@ppy battery life, and have tweaked everything I possibly can, so maybe this is one reason why?

Stocks is almost always there too, and Amazon MP3 frequently is as well. I guess I could delete those, though. Didn't want to have to delete Facebook in case I do want to use it in the future, but I may resort to that if there's no fix.

sb65

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I think it starts FB if you have it set to sync with it. I'm new to Android and just learning it, but go to <home>, press <menu> then settings, then <Accounts & Sync> to see what is syncing. Turn off what you don't like.

I don't think it uses much battery. I have mine syncing with FB, stocks, weather, email etc and with not-much-usage I can easily go over 24 hrs without a charge. I went 2 full days and still had 50% left on mine, but I admit I was not using it all that much.

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
This is why I am so looking forward to an easy root. I want to delete the stuff I don't use and keep it off. Facebook, peep, all of those. It is ridiculous they do not allow you to delete programs you don't want.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you put those two apps percent together it's like 1/10 of your battery consumption. The phone used battery as long as you're using it. Enjoy your phone the way it was meant to be. You might see a difference in battery consumption if you leave most or all settings as factory default. The only thing I adjust was the weather update from three hrs to one.

CaliCat

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it starts FB if you have it set to sync with it. I'm new to Android and just learning it, but go to <home>, press <menu> then settings, then <Accounts & Sync> to see what is syncing. Turn off what you don't like.

Thanks for the reply, but that's not it. FB isn't there, and I specifically turned OFF Stocks in that list. Just double-checked there after your post to make sure.

I don't think it uses much battery. I have mine syncing with FB, stocks, weather, email etc and with not-much-usage I can easily go over 24 hrs without a charge. I went 2 full days and still had 50% left on mine, but I admit I was not using it all that much.

I can't get much more than about 11-12 hours max out of mine. I do keep a Twitter client syncing, but I always did that with my BlackBerry too and got WAY better battery life. Everything that I've read in all the Android forums seems to reflect most people getting decent to really good battery life with the EVO Shift, but feedback on the Sprint site is mixed on battery life. I'm starting to wonder if I just got a bum battery. Have another on order from Amazon... will be able to check that theory shortly.

Last edited:

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but that's not it. FB isn't there, and I specifically turned OFF Stocks in that list. Just double-checked there after your post to make sure.
Even when you force stop an application it will eventually start right back up again.

You would have to delete the app(s) in question. Some application cannot be deleted from the phone.

CaliCat

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This is why I am so looking forward to an easy root. I want to delete the stuff I don't use and keep it off. Facebook, peep, all of those. It is ridiculous they do not allow you to delete programs you don't want.

I've always modded most every other phone I've had... even felt comfortable using BBSAK with my 'Berry. But everything I'm reading about rooting the Androids has me gunshy. I'm too much of a neophyte with the OS. I'm holding off rooting this phone for now.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Think about it like this I'm going to use a fishing analogy here. Think of a pond with fish in it Android (your shift) fills the pond with fish if you kill 3 fish (apps) android is going to put 3 fish back or how ever many fish it has room for based on the resource usage of the other fish. If you keep killing fish and android keeps putting them back you're actually killing the battery faster. Opened apps don't add up to power consumption the memory they are using is always active anyways and Android is just trying to predict what app you might use next and getting it ready to be opened.

Does that make sense?
Dave

Reactions: CaliCat

hmmm

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I've always modded most every other phone I've had... even felt comfortable using BBSAK with my 'Berry. But everything I'm reading about rooting the Androids has me gunshy. I'm too much of a neophyte with the OS. I'm holding off rooting this phone for now.

Yeah, that is exactly why I haven't joined the temp root bandwagon. I am too nervous about it and just don't really feel the need to be in on the early testing of it. It isn't so much battery life or resources that the unneeded apps bug me about it is just the fact that I would never choose to install certain things(NASCAR?) and therefore do not like a company forcing it on me.

Once there is a more streamlined, download and run it type permanent root I will be all over it.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing with these same apps opening themselves. Not really a problem since I don't think they are draining the battery unless I am actually using the app. I did find the other day that there is an update for the Amazon MP3 app in the market. One of the fixes in the update keeps it from turning itself back on after you force close it. I don't think it has turned itself back on since I updated it.

Reactions: CaliCat

CaliCat

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Think about it like this I'm going to use a fishing analogy here. Think of a pond with fish in it Android (your shift) fills the pond with fish if you kill 3 fish (apps) android is going to put 3 fish back or how ever many fish it has room for based on the resource usage of the other fish. If you keep killing fish and android keeps putting them back you're actually killing the battery faster. Opened apps don't add up to power consumption the memory they are using is always active anyways and Android is just trying to predict what app you might use next and getting it ready to be opened.

Yes - it does. Thanks. :)

CaliCat

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing with these same apps opening themselves. Not really a problem since I don't think they are draining the battery unless I am actually using the app. I did find the other day that there is an update for the Amazon MP3 app in the market. One of the fixes in the update keeps it from turning itself back on after you force close it. I don't think it has turned itself back on since I updated it.

Good to know - I'll check that out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Get an Auto Start killer. This will keep you from running apps that you don't want, like facebook.

Thanks for the suggestion but I wouldn't do that it real makes things worse as the task killer closes programs Android system opens then it actually ends up eating more battery. Best thing to do is just let your device Handel the memory allocations and don't worry about it Android had you covered.

big_bopper

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I do want to use it in the future, but I may resort to that if there's no fix.

Kind of a n00b question to throw out there....

If I do delete one of the preinstalled programs and then later decide I want it, is there way to get it back?

Thanks in advance.

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Kind of a n00b question to throw out there....

If I do delete one of the preinstalled programs and then later decide I want it, is there way to get it back?

Thanks in advance.

In order to delete the app, you will have to be rooted and if you are rooted, you can use Titanium Backup to backup the app or use nandroid to backup the entire phone. You could also extract the .apk installer and re-install that way. Lastly, you can almost always find someone with the .apk out there ... either here on Android Central or over at XDA.

Reactions: big_bopper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC