Navigation vs. Music Player

jscher2000

May 16, 2010
www.androidwtf.com
I noticed that Google Maps navigation will pause any music playing in the default music player while announcing navigation instructions. When all your turns are far apart, this is really handy. When they are close together, it can be annoying. Doesn't Google know I'm trying to enjoy some music? :p

The Telenav software, on the other hand, just talks at the same volume as the music without pausing or muting it, so it's impossible to understand. :(

I noticed that using the volume rocker in Telenav adjusts the Media volume, while adjusting the volume in Google Maps adjusts the Navigation volume. Could be related.

I don't think we can do anything about this, other than give feedback to Google and Telenav. I just find it interesting how hard it is to get phone navigation apps to be as intelligent as built-in nav systems.

Dave Blake

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Yah this sucks when you're trying to listen to a podcast. I wish there was a way to turn off the voice part of navigation.

Good point,
Dave

jscher2000

May 16, 2010
www.androidwtf.com
Yah this sucks when you're trying to listen to a podcast. I wish there was a way to turn off the voice part of navigation.

In Google Maps navigation, you can just push the Navigation volume all the way down to get some peace, and then crank it back up when you need it.

With Telenav, there is a deeply buried menu setting that I haven't tested yet:

Share & More > 7. Preferences > Navigation Audio > Settings (defaults to "Settings: Full Audio")

You have the alternate choices of "Instructions Only" or "No Audio"

yordikins

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I noticed this too the other day. The notification sound does the same thing!

I really liked how my old Palm Pre did it, which was to decrease the media volume but not all the way as you could still hear your music then it would play the voice instructions then fade back in the music. It was smooth and elegant.

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I noticed this too the other day. The notification sound does the same thing!

I really liked how my old Palm Pre did it, which was to decrease the media volume but not all the way as you could still hear your music then it would play the voice instructions then fade back in the music. It was smooth and elegant.

Im really missing that.

Caromsoft

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I still found that annoying enough to turn of the voice prompts completely on my Pre! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800