Quickly silence notifications?

raven4mi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I use the button at the top of the shift to lock my phone as needed, but when I do this there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly silence any ringtone or notification on the phone. I have to press the button, unlock the screen and then, for example, go to the message to get it to stop! Even when it's not locked I haven't been able to figure out how to do it, in fact. It can be a little embarrassing to fumble around with the darned thing when it seems to be the loudest thing in the room! I'd like to be able to push a button or do something that makes it immediately stop. My last phone did that, and so does my husband's Blackberry - there MUST be a way, mustn't there???

haus

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Try the down volume button? I don't know, just a guess (I only use vibrate).

Also go to menu- settings - sound - and see if "quiet ring on pickup" is selected. In theory when you move the phone while it is ringing it will quiet the tone. But Sense has this lovely feature that blares ringtones at full volume when the phone is in a pocket or bag, and I don't think the "quiet ring on pickup" option silences those. Anyway, since that is a ringtone setting, I'm not sure if it affects notifications as well, but usually notifications are pretty short...maybe you can just choose less obtrusive notifications?

davecttt

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
yes

Try the down volume button? I don't know, just a guess (I only use vibrate).

Also go to menu- settings - sound - and see if "quiet ring on pickup" is selected. In theory when you move the phone while it is ringing it will quiet the tone. But Sense has this lovely feature that blares ringtones at full volume when the phone is in a pocket or bag, and I don't think the "quiet ring on pickup" option silences those. Anyway, since that is a ringtone setting, I'm not sure if it affects notifications as well, but usually notifications are pretty short...maybe you can just choose less obtrusive notifications?

Yes, just push the volume button down and hold it, and it will go away.

Ragman

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
click on/off button, after slide screen lock then hold your on/off switch then you able select from your drop down and find silence mode and back on if needed. see if that works for you

Reactions: jscher2000

jscher2000

May 16, 2010
www.androidwtf.com
click on/off button, after slide screen lock then hold your on/off switch then you able select from your drop down and find silence mode and back on if needed.

Wow, you don't have to enter the PIN to do this. Thanks!

Based on playing around with this a little, I think Vibration Only is the best choice for me. Now, to remember that the next time my phone goes crazy in a meeting...

raven4mi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the input. It appears that pressing the volume down button will indeed silence the phone ring tone, but that does not work for my notifications ring tone. Using the on/off button and going through that process is too many steps - I was hoping for a single "click a button" option, but there doesn't appear to be one. That would be a HUGE improvement to the phone, imho.

For now, I'll just be extra careful about setting the phone to silent or vibrate when going into meetings. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12