Hey guys, i'm new here but since the launch of the pre i've been a heavy lurker/modder at precentral. I've recently purchased a Shift and wrote this up for pre central but I figured it might help someone here too. So here is a copy/paste of my pre to shift comparison.

I'm writing this in the hope it helps someone in their decision to jump the WebOS ship or to stay on-board. I'm going to share my personal enjoyment and grievances within my short time using the Evo Shift. I'll start with what I like.

The shift is fast, very fast. Very apparent is the next generation snapdragon chip, even at 800Mhz it blows my 1Ghz pre away. Everything opens fast and has been smooth as butter. I've got a live wallpaper running (the doom guy one, very cool btw) and apps still open almost instantly, even if I already have a ton of stuff open.

The access to the huge amount of apps is awesome, there is virtually an app for everything. It is almost dizzying the amount of apps you can browse through. The apps that cost money are usually worth it, and if you're still not sure the app is worth it then 90% of the time there is a free version or trial for it.

Battery life is very good. I don't know if that's because my pre's battery was starting to fail, or maybe it was the overclocking that was draining it too fast, either way I am very impressed. I found myself constantly turning on and off wifi, bluetooth, and gps as I needed them on my pre to conserve battery life. I started doing this right away on the shift but soon found there was no need.

The camera is light years better than the pre's. It's refreshing not having to wait for minutes at a time to take a picture. The auto-focus camera is amazing compared to the fixed pre. Very sharp images are produced by the 5mp camera, and bar code reader apps come in handy. Its nice when you're surfing a forum somewhere and someone suggest a app or widget and includes a barcode. You just fire up your favorite bar code scanner, scan it, and within seconds you can be downloading the app.

The hardware itself feels very sturdy. I always felt like I could twist the top half of my pre off with little effort when it was open, The slider quality and operation on the shift almost makes it feel unbreakable compared to the pre. The buttons on the hard keyboard are very well spaced, I have no problems typing on it at all. Although typing wasn't ever really an issue with my pre because I had a centro before the pre and was used to the small palm keyboard.

I'll start my dislikes about the shift with a couple of the software bugs i've noticed. When using the messaging app sometimes i'll start typing and then mid-way through my message the screen will shift up and i'll have to scroll back down and select the text box to resume my message. Facebook notifications don't work. I'm so used to seeing that little blue F at the bottom of my pre's screen that broken facebook notifications on the android is VERY possibly a deal breaker.

Continuing with software complaints, the lack of cards is almost disturbing to me. The shift does multi-tasking but in a very odd way. When you close an app to open something else your previous app simply disappears. You have to hunt the app icon back down to open the app back up. You can double tap the home button to see your recently used apps but it only show your last six apps. You're looking for app number 7? Keep looking for the app.

If you simply love the card system (like I do) then android is not for you. It comes with 7 stock "launcher" like pages but sometimes it is too busy and not enough if you run a lot of widgets. If you switch or have already switched and find yourself missing cards the next best thing is an app called Visual Task Switcher. It has really helped my transition into the android world.

I found it very comforting know I had complete control over which apps were running on the pre. Throwing a card away and KNOWING it wasn't using any processing power or battery life is I trait I miss greatly. Visual Task Switch helps with this a lot in the respect that you can force close apps running in the background with it, but if you want total control you need a task management program. I'm using Advanced Task Killer to close the apps that don't show up in my task switcher. Even with the task killer there are programs that won't end or simple start back up a few minutes after you close them.

If you like a loud phone then you should also keep looking, both the speaker volume and the volume out the the headphone jack is extremely lower than my pre. I work in a shop so the headphone jack volume issue is a real pain for me. I find that even with my radio and phone completely up it is still too soft sometimes. In WebOS this would be a very easy problem to fix via patch but i'm having a hard time finding a solution for my shift. Maybe someone can post a solution for me?

Along with missing notifications due to the lower speaker problem I find that the led is not bright enough to grab my attention. I really miss the pre's notification light.

Overall I think the shift is a great little phone, it definitely has its shortcomings but I think most users will find they are nothing compared to the pre. As for me I have about two and a half weeks before I can't return the shift anymore, but I think I may go back to my pre. The low volume issue is the primary reason i'd go back with the facebook push notification issue a close second.

I advise everyone to take some time with the android platform and form your own opinions, its a very good OS but it isn't for everyone.
    SJP0tato and neonalee like this.
    02-14-2011 03:46 PM
    Good rundown of Shift vs. Pre. I switched from OG Pre to the Shift on launch day; I am now out of my 30 day window and, well, I guess I've kept the Shift. I think I am used to Android now; I do hate not being able to flip the app off the top of the screen to close and I REALLY MISS my touchstone. All in all, I think I like the Shift.
    02-14-2011 05:44 PM
    Some things that you've mentioned is true... like the limitations of open web-browsers however, you seem to be missing a lot of other features in Android.

The volume on HTC's phone is a lot louder than Palm's.(IMO)

What I would recommend you to do is "Click" on the "Tips&Tricks" link in my signature and read up on the capabilities of what your phone running Android Os is capable of doing.

Webos phones are in no way in Par with Android phones.
    02-14-2011 06:31 PM
    Yea the main things i miss are the Facebook notifications, the polished look of the apps & touchstone of course
    02-14-2011 07:07 PM
    Wait, there are no FB notifications?

I have a Pre now and I'm trying to weigh my options. Talked to Sprint and they're not even willing to push my upgrade up from July 1 so I can get the Shift. Unreal!
    02-14-2011 09:14 PM
    Wait, there are no FB notifications?

I have a Pre now and I'm trying to weigh my options. Talked to Sprint and they're not even willing to push my upgrade up from July 1 so I can get the Shift. Unreal!
    Well it has notifications but you have to open the app to see them. But if you are logged into facebook chat you will get those notifications like a text notification. You also get a notification for friend requests, messages to you & i can't remember what else in the notification blind thing
    TheMatrix31 likes this.
    02-15-2011 01:15 AM
    Is there a way to be logged into FB chat and turn it off but stay invisible, just so you can get the live notifications?
    02-15-2011 03:10 AM
    Is there a way to be logged into FB chat and turn it off but stay invisible, just so you can get the live notifications?
    If u log off chat u will still get the other notifications
    02-15-2011 03:13 AM
    Just one thing I have to say to the OP stay away from task killers they will cause software bugs and eat your battery. Android is optimized to control tasks those apps opening in the background are only occupying memory that is active anyways so relax let Android OS handle the tasks. No need to worry yourself with this aspect of the OS.
    02-15-2011 06:34 AM
    One thing i miss is the polished look of webOS from the ui of the OS to the ui of the apps
    02-15-2011 04:28 PM
    Ok. I'm coming from a Pre as well and one thing I can say is that the contact linking on the Shift sucks. It does not work at all on my phone. I've tried everything. The silly phone makes all sorts of great suggestions as to whom should be linked to whom, but when you try to link someone, it simply doesn't do it. No explanation, no error. And even if it did...I have to MANUALLY link each person??? Are you kidding me????
    02-15-2011 08:03 PM
    Ok. I'm coming from a Pre as well and one thing I can say is that the contact linking on the Shift sucks. It does not work at all on my phone. I've tried everything. The silly phone makes all sorts of great suggestions as to whom should be linked to whom, but when you try to link someone, it simply doesn't do it. No explanation, no error. And even if it did...I have to MANUALLY link each person??? Are you kidding me????
    Really? I've had no issues linking contacts. In fact thats one thing i like a lot that the Pre would not do, I hated how my Pre would add everyone from FB into my contact list. Yet with this Shift I can just link the contact photos from FB to my contacts instead.
    02-15-2011 08:36 PM
    Just discovered if I "long press" an email message in HTC Mail it pops up a dialogue so I can easily move a message to a folder. Starting to like Android. I just came from webOS as well. Its been a rough few days, but things are looking better
    02-16-2011 08:03 AM
    I also came from Webos and after last weeks anouncements that there will be no upgrades to Webos 2.0 for older devices I couldnt be happier. I'm Glad i jumped ship last month, and have been loving android ever since.
    02-16-2011 08:12 AM
    So I deleted all my gmail contacts and then imported them directly to my phone from Outlook using HTC sync (nice). Linking is working. Now to decide if I want to use Google for my contacts or continue to keep that private and off the cloud.

Really? I've had no issues linking contacts. In fact thats one thing i like a lot that the Pre would not do, I hated how my Pre would add everyone from FB into my contact list. Yet with this Shift I can just link the contact photos from FB to my contacts instead.
    02-16-2011 11:58 AM
    Thanks for the write-up, I'm coming from the original Pre to the Shift, and it's nice to hear the viewpoint of someone who's already been through the same experience.
    02-16-2011 07:16 PM
    If you simply love the card system (like I do) then android is not for you. It comes with 7 stock "launcher" like pages but sometimes it is too busy and not enough if you run a lot of widgets. If you switch or have already switched and find yourself missing cards the next best thing is an app called Visual Task Switcher. It has really helped my transition into the android world.
    coming form a pre, missing "cards" was HUGE... thank you SO MUCH for mentioning visual task manager. It was exactly what I needed to bridge the pre-to-shift gap.

02-17-2011 08:51 AM
    Ummm...maybe I'm missing the apps some of you are talking about, but what apps have more polish than Android. It seemed like all apps that weren't spin offs of websites had an amateur look...one of the big reasons I couldn't get down with the Pre as much as I wanted to. Guess different strokes for different folks. Cards are cool but considering my OG Pre would get the TMC glitch all the time, they became obsolete within the 3rd or 4th month. I am interested in the Pre 3 if they fix some things up though
    02-17-2011 10:57 PM
    Ummm...maybe I'm missing the apps some of you are talking about, but what apps have more polish than Android. It seemed like all apps that weren't spin offs of websites had an amateur look...one of the big reasons I couldn't get down with the Pre as much as I wanted to. Guess different strokes for different folks. Cards are cool but considering my OG Pre would get the TMC glitch all the time, they became obsolete within the 3rd or 4th month. I am interested in the Pre 3 if they fix some things up though
    Yea TMC was bad but on my OG I never really got it. I think apps like shopping list, mileage, tasks, memos, n a few others I can't remember looked n functioned a lot better but that's just my opinion
    02-18-2011 08:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD