Wife ready to jump to EVO shift from Webos, except for touchstone!

drmegabyte#AC

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an original Palm Pre and her contract allows her to get a new phone in April. She's only holding back because she's in love with the Touchstone. *sigh*

She is open to a cradle .. and I see cradles for the EVO and the Samsung Epic ..is there just not yet a cradle for the EVO shift .. or it is just not the AC store?

Better, any wireless charging options for the EVO shirt?

cr33p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I miss my touchstone, but I dont miss my Palm :) Go for it, the phone and its OS will more than make up for the loss of the touchstone, and the battery life is great in comparison to my previous Pixi

SROJR

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I bailed HP/Palm/Pre on the Shift's launch day. I miss my Touchstone but have adapted to plugging the cord into the phone.

I've been searching the Internet pretty much every day for a cordless charging solution. Here's what I know:

I wrote Seidio (they make one of the cradles for the EVO) and got a response back that they would pass along my request for an Shift cradle to the product development team. My fingers are crossed but I am not holding my breath.

Powermat does not have one but this is the type of place that would make one. They have a charger case for the EVO so I'm hoping they will produce one for the Shift. I've not contacted them; they say on their website to "check back for updates on new products".

Something that I discovered yesterday; I think the Verizon Merge is going to be pretty much the same phone as the Shift and it looks like there will be a cradle for that. Here's a link:

Cradle Desktop Dual Charger with Smart Charge for HTC 6325 Merge

This looks like it would work for the Shift; I may just get one.

By the way, I was a die-hard Pre guy. LOVED WebOS. However, the phone was crapping out; I do not regret moving over to Android and/or the Shift. Except for the Touchstone. :)

big_bopper

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think your wife is feeling what I originally felt when I was ready to switch phones in that it would be hard to live without an easy charging solution like the Touchtone.

But two things help to make the transition easier:

1. There is no silly cover over the charing port on the Shift. While I did like the way it made the side of my Pre smooth and solid looking, I hated that little cover. I had to use my finger nail to get out and I was always worried I was going to break it. Thankfully I never did (although many did), but it was always a concern. Even after getting it open it would sometimes get in the way of the USB plug or cause problems when laying it down. No such cover on the Shift so that is not a worry. Just plug it in and toss it on the desk.

2. The battery life on the Shift is damn near double what I got out of my Pre...no lie. With my Pre if I didn't plug it in over night I was sure to have it die the next day before I would even get to my office most times. But with the shift, I pretty much get 30hrs a charge on weekdays and over 40 on weekends (mostly on wifi around the house and less overall usage).

While I still love the Touchtone, I don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would.

Just my .02

sbono13

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
2. The battery life on the Shift is damn near double what I got out of my Pre...no lie. With my Pre if I didn't plug it in over night I was sure to have it die the next day before I would even get to my office most times. But with the shift, I pretty much get 30hrs a charge on weekdays and over 40 on weekends (mostly on wifi around the house and less overall usage).

Wow, 30 hours would be quadruple what I got from my Pre :). I probably get 15 hours out of my shift with normal use, but I'm not complaining at all.

Miss the touchstone too, especially the one I had in my car. With the Pre, I was pretty much always looking for a place to charge, and I just don't worry about it with the shift.

ohhaiguyz

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to chime in with the same sentiments as these guys: I had a Pre (though I never had a Touchstone) and I now have a Shift. I get at least double the battery life out of my Shift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34