I have been using a Lotus. I owned the original Lotus and the current one. It worked pefectly for what I need a phone for. Unfortunately I now need a phone that can run apps. I won't bore you with why.

Anyway, I got the shift. I have found 3 very annoying issues so far.

1. When the phone is plugged in the led doesn't flash if there is a new alert. That makes absolutely no sense to me. According to the owners manual this is not changeable. It flashes when it isn't plugged in. Unfortunately the battery life sucks so I leave it plugged in at work. So in order to see if I have a new alert I have to pick up the phone. I like being able to just look to see if the led is flashing. This is also helpful at night when its plugged in on my nightstand.

2. I have a Platronics bluetooth headset. When I receive a call it doesn't tell me who is calling. My Lotus did and I love that feature for times when I don't want to look at the phone.

3. It doesn't push email with my hotmail account. I assume it doesn't push with any email accounts but I haven't tried a different account yet. I mainly use hotmail. I know it is old but I haven't found a reason to switch yet. My lotus pushed properly.

I stopped by two different Sprint stores and they both told me there is nothing wrong with the phone and that is just how it is with androids.

So now I need to decide what to do. I like the features of the phone but the above listed issues are enough reason for me to return it.

Am I missing something???
    04-12-2011 07:00 PM
    1) that's the way it is
    2) There are other bluetooth headsets that will do this but you will have to buy a new Bluetooth if you want this feature. Unless you use bluetooth mono available in the market it will do this but it makes everything go through the bluetooth phone ringer music everything and its heave on battery. Still its worth a try check it out its free in the market.
    3) You can setup hotmail through outlook on your phone.
    Use (Email addy)@m.hotmail.com leave the domain name blank. Let it set its self up then chose "as it arrives" in settings and you will have push email.

Hope that helps'
    Dave
    04-12-2011 08:28 PM
    In response to number 1, if you root your phone and install the CM7 rom it now flashes the led while the phone is on the charger. That was a big issue for me also, but now thanks to the Cyanogen team they fixed it. Why they wouldn't have it like that out the box is beyond me.

Sent from my CM7 powered Shift
    04-12-2011 10:39 PM
    1. I don't know how you have your phone set up, but the battery life on this phone is great and should easily get you 10 hrs of moderate to heavy use on a single charge. stop leaving it plugged in all the time. you're actually harming your battery. if you can't get good battery life you either a) have never owned a smart phone before and didn't realize that they all drain fast when compared to a dumb phone (which is usually a shock to first time smart phone owners) or b) have a defective battery from the get.

2. can't help ya there, it just doesn't do that.

3. gmail works perfectly on the phone, that's the default push email. if you want a push email of a different type and don't want to set up outlook, then download k9 mail. it's a push email client and works great. always check the market to see if theres a app to fit your needs. that's what it's there for.

give yourself a chance to adjust to owning a smart phone. once you learn all the nuance's, you'll be much happier.
    04-13-2011 08:41 AM
    1. I understand I shouldn't leave the phone plugged in all the time. The battery life is ok as long as I am not using with the display on for too long. I don't leave it plugged in at work all day but I do plug it in a few hours before I leave so it is charged when I leave. I do leave it plugged in at night on my night stand. So the led not flashing when it is plugged in is still a big issue for me. It sounds dumb but I like to be able to just look over at the nightstand and know if I have an alert. I don't want to have to pick up the phone to find out. Especially at night when it is dark in the room and I am half asleep. I still can't believe one of the most recent "smart" phones doesn't do such a minor thing. It makes absolutely no sense to me. I don't know what "rooting" is nor do I want to. I don't have time to waste getting a phone to work the way it should out of the box. My "dumb" Lotus does this properly and so did every phone I've owned prior.

2. Besides it not telling me who is calling it also doesn't give the turn by turn directions while using navigation. Again, my "dumb" Lotus did. I don't have a cheap bluetooth. I own one of the most expensive Plantronics made. The Voyager Pro. I am sure there is better nowadays but it isn't one of the cheap ones you buy at a convience store. I am so new to a "smart" phone that I don't know what programs in the market are good or bad. This feature should work out of the box.

3. I understand Hotmail not working. There are way too many email accounts available for eveyone to be supported. Especially one as old as hotmail. Do you know if it will work Verizon? I have Fios for internet and I don't currently use that email account but I could start using it.
    04-13-2011 02:27 PM
    1. Easily get over 24hours with lite use, over 10 with heavy/moderate use. Are you sure you're cycling the battery correctly? It really helps with battery life to let is run almost completely down(1%-9%) before charging completely to full. When it is full charged, take it off the charger... bonus you get LED indication when you get message/mail etc!!

2. Google Navigation and TelNav both do turn by turn.

3. I get Gmail and Exchange email pushes, no clue about whether Hotmail pushes to Android or not.
    04-13-2011 02:52 PM
    1. So what should I do, not plug it in before I go to bed??? Then in the AM the battery will be close to dead when I need to use it for the day. Regardless, the led should flash when it is plugged in or not. This is an out right dumb mistake by HTC.

2. It does the turn by turn but not over the bluetooth headset.

3. I will install my verizon email account and see if it pushed properly.

Thanks again for the responses everyone. I appreciate it. I am not trying to bash the Shift I am just trying to get it working the way I need it to. I wish I didn't need a phone to run apps but I do. I am in the car business and the carfax/autocheck/vauto apps work great at the auctions. It is almost a requirement nowadays to have a device that can run those reports quickly. If my Lotus could run those apps I wouldn't have switched phones since it does everything else I need perfectly.
    04-13-2011 03:02 PM
    1. I think you a blackberry would probably serve you better than a android powered phone for what you are looking for.

2. I'm positive blackberrys will route the navigation through the bluetooth headset, never tried on the shift.

3. For push email all you have to do is create a gmail account and forward all of your hotmail to the gmail account if you want. Your emails will come through instantly.

You dont know what you are missing though, rooting and custom roms is what these phones are all about.
    04-13-2011 03:17 PM
    I have considered a Blackberry but the ones Sprint has are not the best. The newest flip one I considered but I didn't really like it the short time I played with it.

If I decided to play around with the phone and get into "rooting" and "custom roms" what difference will that make for me???
    04-13-2011 03:21 PM
    Theres just so much you can do with your phone once its rooted and has a custom rom on it crazy, its like you have a new phone. Just so you understand every one i know who has a EVO or EVO shift is rooted running CyanogenMod 7.0 which to me is the best rom out there, thats about 20 people i work with plus my family etc. It would be impossible for me to explain it all to you but just do a lil browsing. http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
    04-13-2011 04:43 PM
    You do not need to leave your phone plugged in all night. I charge mine to green and unplug it and by morning I've only lost maybe 10 percent of battery from it sitting there for 7 hours.

Use Telnav it gives turn by turn directions

Just put the Hotmail information into the Email App. It won't push as soon as you get an email like Gmail with an Android phone or like a Blackberry but it can check your inbox every 15 mins.
    04-13-2011 07:36 PM
    Blackberry must have updated since I used them, but I don't remember the LED functioning while the phone was plugged in. In fact, I don't remember any of my phone LEDs flashing while the phone was plugged in.

I may be wrong, but I believe that is fairly standard across the industry and will not be helped by getting a different phone. In fact, Sprint Android phones are some of the few that use LEDs. Apple's has omitted it on their iPhone (and that's one of the many reasons I prefer Android).
    04-14-2011 09:28 PM
    Telenav & the navigation app from google maps give turn by turn direction. I've used it a bunch with no problem. I've never had a bluetooth connected to it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with it plugged in.

your hotmail would work if you use the app I suggested before. k9 mail. it's a push email client and works with pretty much any pop email. it says something about hotmail when you're setting it up, but i've had my hotmail come thru it for the past year and a half with no problem.

if your battery isn't lasting long, then maybe get a new one. if 10 hours of heavy use & up to 24 hours of light use isn't good eood enough for you, then carry a spare.

if you wanna leave it plugged in when you're sleeping, then cool. I don't know anybody who's looking for notifications when they're asleep... but during the day I wouldn't plug it in unless it needs it. you're doing more harm to your battery then you think.
    04-15-2011 10:34 AM
    Sorry for not responding. I was away for a few days.

1. I am now only plugging in the phone when the battery low message comes on. If I am awake and the the battery is fully charged I unplug it before I go to bed. That doesn't totally resolve the the LED not flashing issue for me but it makes it tolerable.

2. I am playing around with different programs trying to get Hotmail to push properly. I am also trying to setup my Verizon.net account but I can't get it to work. I haven't had time to figure out why. It just says the account can't be verified when I am positive I am entering the correct password.

3. The bluetooth not working when someone calls is still bothering me. It also doesn't work with the Navigation program that came preinstalled with the phone. Maybe there is another Nav program that will work with it. Is there another headset I could get that would work?

Thanks again everyone for your responses. I checked out the blackberrys Sprint has and I don't like any of them. I like the Torch but Sprint doesn't have it. It looks like the Shift is the only phone Sprint has to offer with a full keyboard and can run the apps I need. I don't have much of a choice but to get use to it.
    04-18-2011 02:06 PM
    2. I am playing around with different programs trying to get Hotmail to push properly.
    If you do not already have an Exchange ActiveSync account, you are supposed to be able to connect to Hotmail using EAS. With ActiveSync, sends, deletes and moves on the phone mirror back to the server.

In this thread, the poster used a different email client, but I think it's worth a try with the default Mail client.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...c-htc-evo.html

More stuff:

Setup your phone to sync your Hotmail inbox, calendar and contacts using ActiveSync

Hotmail ActiveSync Quirk with Android Leave the Backslash Alone! | Boydo's Tech Talk

Any luck?
    04-18-2011 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD