Help making a decision

Dark_Majesty_06

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, im currently an optimus s owner.. but would like to change over phones. I'm adding a third line, giving the 3rd person my old BB and putting my optimus back as a "spare" phone.. i have 3 phone choices and ill line em up here. Obviously the shift, Evo 4g and the samsung epic.

Overall im looking for a good solid phone to root, Rom and oc like i have done to my optimus. I love the fact of having free wifi tether for times when my job doesn't allow me to be anywhere near a wifi connection for my PC. I definitely want the keyboard.. but i mean.. if the evo would be a better option.. then i can go without a keyboard.. the only real reason i want a keyboard is so i can comfortably play the emulators with stuff such as super Mario, FF and sonic.

I also want a great camera and decent recording abilities for times when i wanna post a you tube video of my mustang. So maybe someone here has owner all 3 phones and can give me a good look on which would be suit my needs and wants. Thanks for any help that is given.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would take the Epic out of the equation then decide between the Evo and the Shift. Obviously I'm going to tell you to go with the Shift but both the Evo and the Shift are great devices.

If your looking for a phone with a keyboard, then you really can't go wrong with the Shift. It's a very quick device (especially overclocked), the video recorder is pretty good, camera is solid and there is a lot of development happening over at XDA.

Reactions: Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Good deal, is there a specific reason why you say to remove the epic? I mean obviously, like i stated, you all in this part are all for the shift, so i expect favoritism, but does anyone have any experience with actually have a free wifi hotspot like i do on my optimus? I know the phone needs to be rooted.. unfortunately, i like things easy.. so i just used z4root on my optimus.. so hopefully a one click rooting program will come out for the shift and i know there's one for the evo..

Also, any experience runnin the snes emulator or maybe gba emulator? I know the screens too small to really enjoy in on my optimus, because the controls have to be on screen.. but if you could remove the screen equation and use the keyboard for controls.. wow.. just wow. So thanks for any advice anyone can give me on the subject.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Good deal, is there a specific reason why you say to remove the epic? I mean obviously, like i stated, you all in this part are all for the shift, so i expect favoritism, but does anyone have any experience with actually have a free wifi hotspot like i do on my optimus? I know the phone needs to be rooted.. unfortunately, i like things easy.. so i just used z4root on my optimus.. so hopefully a one click rooting program will come out for the shift and i know there's one for the evo..

Also, any experience runnin the snes emulator or maybe gba emulator? I know the screens too small to really enjoy in on my optimus, because the controls have to be on screen.. but if you could remove the screen equation and use the keyboard for controls.. wow.. just wow. So thanks for any advice anyone can give me on the subject.

The reason I remove the Epic, in my opnion it feels like a cheap device. I have a friend that has the Epic and after about 6 months you can hold the phone sideways and the keyboard will just slide open.

I've played with the emulator for a couple days and I don't think you could use the keyboard but I may be wrong.

As far as tether, yes you can. You can use a Tether app and some ROMs have built in hotspot. There is a "one click" root method but I didn't personally use it.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

YoungCorruption

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
pretty much what crump said but you talked about one click root. there is one for the shift on the xda forum and the link is on this website as well in the rom and rooting sub-forum. my dad has the evo and i have the shift and i personally like the shift better but thats cause of the keyboard. i've been using the a keyboard since the htc TP2 and i can't live without one. you can't use the keyboard with most emulators but there is a blue tooth controller that attaches to the keyboard that is suppose to work fairly good

Dark_Majesty_06

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Ahh.. that sucks, i was under the impression it was like my pc and i could use the keyboard.. Thanks for that, that was a major deciding factor for me, was the option to use the keyboard for rom buttons.. Shoot, I may as well get the galaxy tab and have a 7 inch screen and maybe my big fingers would allow some seeing room on the games.. lol.

Alright thanks a lot, i do appreciate all the help in the decision making process here, Either way i cant get a new phone yet, my job keeps me away from sprint stores and home for a month at a time.. and the online stores sold out of both evos.. so i guess i have some more time to research and use. Any more further input on either phones is appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown