Disable Lost HTC Evo Phone

Voyager39

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
I had an old (bought in 2011) Sprint/Evo/HTC phone that I occasionally used to watch videos or test various features of my newer phone. Mobile service was cut off in 2014.

I hadn't seen the phone in a long time, and recently discovered that a housemate likely discarded it about five months ago, in Feb. 2017. He can't recall whether it was thrown in the garbage or what other fate befell it.

I don't expect to find the phone. However, I am trying to find out what options I have, if any, for disabling any access a malicious actor might have to my email or other accounts if he were to find the phone.
The circumstances:

The phone has no mobile service. (it had mobile service with Sprint from 2011 to 2014).

I don't believe that there was a tracking app on the phone (as in "find my device" or other similar app).
I had a 7-digit PIN active for accessing the device.
I had no financial-account access applications on the device.
I have looked for, but so far, don't have sales/service paperwork that would identify serial numbers or other identifying data for the phone.
I know the Sprint phone number that once was active on the lost phone. It's the same number I now have with Cricket on my current Samsung phone.
Not sure if I can get help from Sprint, given that I haven't had an account with them for several years.
So far, in the five months the phone has been lost, there has been no malicious activity that I'm aware of in my email or other accounts (gmail account was in common between the old, lost phone and my current phone).
When I enter "where's my phone" into Google, my current phone is the only one that appears. Thus, my old phone appears to no longer be associated with my gmail account.

If the board can offer any suggestions regarding how I might disable the phone, or otherwise achieve closure here, it would be appreciated.

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

You really do not have any options for wiping the phone. The best you could hope for is to find the IMEI number and have it blacklisted as lost. But even then it will not prevent someone from possibly accessing the phone if they find it. You had a pretty secure pin code at 7 digits. So it would be virtually impossible to access it. Plus you had nothing financial on the phone.

If you are really concerned I suggest changing your passwords on your accounts even though I believe it would be extremely remote that someone would put a ton of effort into accessing your phone. If you were Bill Gates maybe but most likely not some one average like you or I.

Voyager39

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks very much for your reply. I will try to find paperwork with the IMEI number on it.
Failing that, I'll just content myself that I had the foresight to implement PIN protection.