gingerbread for nonrooted phone soon?

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
i see that the EVO is supposed to be shipping with 2.3 so i would think the update should be coming. soon for the EVO shift? does anyone know??

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would think an update would be coming relatively soon since there has been a leak. This is just a guess but I woukd imagine in the next few months.

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: kristi

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My phone is unrooted. Maybe that'll change sometime.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the GB update since it's supposedly better.

I'm wondering, though, what will my phone actually do with Gingerbreat that it doesn't do now? Or what will it do differently?

Just curious. Thanks.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My phone is unrooted. Maybe that'll change sometime.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the GB update since it's supposedly better.

I'm wondering, though, what will my phone actually do with Gingerbreat that it doesn't do now? Or what will it do differently?

Just curious. Thanks.

If the update only includes Gingerbread and not the new Sense, you won't see a whole lot of difference in the interface or in what your phone can "do". You will probably see better battery life, things run a little snappier and better power management. Since the Shift has an overlay Sense there won't be a lot of noticeable changes other than performance. If the release also includes the new version of Sense you will notice a lot of changes in the UI.(see the Rooting and ROM's section for some of my screen shots) Just my suspicion, but I would think both would be included in the update.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i see that the EVO is supposed to be shipping with 2.3 so i would think the update should be coming. soon for the EVO shift? does anyone know??

It should arrive in the next few months but you'd be better off rooting and running a custom Gingerbread ROM to get more functionality out of your phone. If your interested try this link here: https://www.youtube.com/supported_b...sktop_uri=%2F&gl=US&rdm=4mn5ybha5&app=desktop. Following the instructions will root your phone for you. All you need is a computer and Winzip, which you can find an evaluation trial version online. All you have to do after that is download ROM Manager from the market, flash Clockworkmod Recovery, download a custom ROM from ROM Manager (ie Cyanogenmod 7 or Bnice's ROM), select option to backup current ROM (to restore later if you make an error), then select options to wipe data and caches as you install the custom from the sd card via ROM manager, then you'll be good to go... It seems like it's a lot but once you do it you won't regret it. Better than waiting 2+ months I say. I know AI ran out of patience.

Sent from my Gingerbread HTC Speedy.

Bashiier

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
If the Evo is getting it tommrrow we should be not that far behind correct me if im wrong but the last evo upgrade the shift was a week behind

Jon no h

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice to get something for the Shift. I bought the HTC Shift because at the time, it had 2.2 while others still had 2.1. Now the new devices has arrived, along with 2.3. It's time to show some love to the HTC EVO Shift 4g again! :)

ginglish

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Reading the EVO forums on Sprint 3-6 june, the EVO release of GB does not include a Sense update. Some are complining that GB is not the latest and is missing some stuff. From the sound of it, we should not be in a hurry to get the update. Let them test it out for us....

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
From what I have read, the reason the EVO didn't get a Sense update is because they are using a 1st generation processor.

1st generation - Sense 1.0
2nd Generation - Sense 2.0/2.1
Duel Core - Sense 3.0

As far as bugs, when I was running the initial GB leak for the Shift I didn't run into many bugs, it was actually quite smooth. I'm thinking the official release will be very similar the the leaked version.

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Root shouldn't matter to get the update if you're on the stock Rom, but the update will very likely break Root.

And I can confirm that Sprint is intending to roll out GB soon, b/c when I called to activate my Shift yesterday already-rooted and running CM7 (which I couldn't do b/c the Sprint stuff wasn't there), the tech told me that while he runs CM7 himself, he recommended waiting for the GB update since it was coming for Evo and there's hardly any difference between Evo and Shift.

Now for those of us already on CM7, we'd have to return to stock Rom first to get the update.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the need to get the update if your rooted. A comparable ROM will be available shortly after the official release.

Last edited:

cmags

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't see the need to get the update if your rooted. A comparable ROM will be available shortly after the official release.

Well, some folks root their phones for the capability to run advanced apps, but don't want to flash a recovery and rom. My wife's LG Optimus is rooted but still running the stock sprint-provided rom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair