06-23-2011 09:25 AM
87 ... 234
tools
    Waiting for GB to be rooted before I update. I'm too paranoid about full backups to update without it. Will follow the flash guide method of upgrading when I do, though. Hopefully it isn't too long a wait. It's a shame that the super simple guide tool doesn't work.
    06-21-2011 10:32 PM
    Waiting for GB to be rooted before I update. I'm too paranoid about full backups to update without it. Will follow the flash guide method of upgrading when I do, though. Hopefully it isn't too long a wait. It's a shame that the super simple guide tool doesn't work.
    Devs already have 2 Stock Rooted ROMs running based off the update. They can be flashed like any other ROM. The first 2 in this LIST are the same as the update, just rooted
    06-21-2011 10:59 PM
    Devs already have 2 Stock Rooted ROMs running based off the update. They can be flashed like any other ROM. The first 2 in this LIST are the same as the update, just rooted
    I know. I'm just a little lazy when it comes to managing a new rom. I tried the first one, and I wasn't able to get titanium to restore everything properly, and it was just frustrating. So i'd almost rather unroot and wait for a new root method, than try and sort out a custom rom. That's also why I don't like CM7.
    06-21-2011 11:18 PM
    Also I could have sworn I posted something about this here...

Turns out having ClockwordMod Recovery installed *was* the issue.

Solution is to revert to a stock recovery image before upgrading.

Easiest way to flash a recovery image is to use something called "Flash Image GUI" (google it).

As for the original stock recovery image, I couldn't find it unofrtunately, but in a pinch, you can use the one from the HTC Gingerbread ROM. It's a .zip file with a long filename that I'm not pasting here :-) but you'll find it in /sdcard/download/. Within that .zip file you'll find something called "recovery.img"; extract that somewhere on the sdcard and you'll be able to point the Flash Image GUI to it.
    Where did you find the recovery image? Because I am searching everywhere, and I can't seem to find it! Would greatly appreciate any help finding it.
    06-22-2011 08:48 AM
    Where did you find the recovery image? Because I am searching everywhere, and I can't seem to find it! Would greatly appreciate any help finding it.
    EDIT: I'm not sure I made everything clear.
    1. Make sure you've downloaded the OTA update (though you haven't installed it yet).
    2. Mount your device as a USB drive.
    3. In that USB drive look in the download directory.
    4. There'll be a .zip file of almost 300MB in size. That will probably be the Gingerbread OTA ROM update.
    5. From that .zip file you should be able to find something called recovery.img.

Not sure what else needs to be clarified.
    06-22-2011 04:49 PM
    EDIT: I'm not sure I made everything clear.
    1. Make sure you've downloaded the OTA update (though you haven't installed it yet).
    2. Mount your device as a USB drive.
    3. In that USB drive look in the download directory.
    4. There'll be a .zip file of almost 300MB in size. That will probably be the Gingerbread OTA ROM update.
    5. From that .zip file you should be able to find something called recovery.img.

Not sure what else needs to be clarified.
    you found it at /download/OTA Update file.zip/firmware.zip , correct? cause thats where i found it, and would explain why i couldnt find it simply using ASTRO on the phone.

On a different note, would you say updating was worth losing root? Thats the only thing holding me back so far.
    06-22-2011 05:46 PM
    On a different note, would you say updating was worth losing root? Thats the only thing holding me back so far.
    If you don't want to lose root flash x99's like I said previously. I know you said you didn't like or were having trouble setting everything back up, if you use "my backup root" from the market it makes it really easy. You can backup your apps+ data, user data and even your homescreen settings. It's really easy to use.
    I would suggest before breaking root backup everything with my backup, make a nandroid, then flash the ROM. If you have issues getting everything restored just like you want, then you can restore your nandroid and go ahead with htc release. Just my 2 cents... I just don't see a reason to break root if you don't have to

Sent from my Gingerbread Speedy 4G using Tapatalk
    06-22-2011 05:56 PM
    I really do appreciate the advice crump. I actually did go ahead and flash the x99 rom after performing a nandroid backup using rom manager. After flashing and installing titanium, I discovered thatthat not everything was restored, and not everything from my google account was listed under my apps. Which was very frustrating.

The only reason I'm willing to break root, is because I only use a few Apps that need super-user privileges. Rom manager, add-free, titanium, set cpu. I could never get wifi-tether to work, which was disappointing.

Anywas, I actually did do what you said, minus using my backup. So, thanks!
    06-22-2011 06:24 PM
    Fixed!!! Regarding the slow down when pressing the home button,where the screen went to an "HTC logo", and and then read "loading" for perhaps about 15 seconds. I called Sprint Support. They had me pull the battery and re-boot. They also said they pushed along a few "refresh" commands to my phone. Thanks SPRINT!!!
    06-22-2011 10:29 PM
    Went ahead and updated to GB. I must say it was worth breaking root. Hopefully they fix root eventually, but for now it was worth it. Thanks for all the help crump and dsevil!
    06-23-2011 07:59 AM
    I gotta say HTC really impressed me with the update. I really like the power controls in the notification bar.

From Archos With Love
    06-23-2011 08:25 AM
    I gotta say HTC really impressed me with the update. I really like the power controls in the notification bar.

From Archos With Love
    Yeah makes me feel like I got some of the good things from my old epic 4g. Now if only there was a root option for GB evo shifts...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    06-23-2011 09:25 AM
87 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD