Gingerbread ota is now available!

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Running the ota zip now.. seems pretty smooth for a Sense ROM. Actually feels better than Miks beta G.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

dsevil

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, this is what happens to me when I try to upgrade to Gingerbread... (yeah it's the screen with the warning triangle and the little android alongside it)

Q3Cee.jpg

- rooted
- stock ROM
- even re-enabled via "pm enable" all the bloatware I disabled
- even went back to HTC Sense
- rebooting again takes me back to Android 2.2.

Oddly enough I can adb shell to it incase there's anything to look for...

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm no expert, but from what I have read elsewhere regarding Gingerbread updates on rooted phones is that is a big no no. If you look back to the EVO 4G update from a week or so back it seems that anyone that tried to update that was rooted had issues. So far I have only had two issues. First, my Facebook birthdays are no longer syncing with my calender. However, after a little research on the web it seems that Facebook is no longer playing well with Google so it is not a problem with this update. The other problem is I can not for the life of me figure out Swype! I have it set as my keyboard but everything seems the same as before the update.

tdischino

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Same results as post above (droid with exclamation in triangle)

- rooted
- ran factory reset from mikshift 1.1 before downloading the OTA update.

When you say after reboot, did you have to do a battery pull? Mine is not responding to power button press.

elfuego

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Updated a few hours ago. A lot of new UI changes with sense 2.1. Fortunately no issues and operating smoothly. You need to dive into accounts so you can reset them to your liking. And BTW, a 250 MB download. Helps to do it on a strong 4G or at home Wi-Fi.

dsevil

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
restoring to stock hboot does not solve my issue, by the way. I'm not pasting the output of dmesg unless someone really thinks it'll help but here's this...

Code:
~ # ps   
  PID USER       VSZ STAT COMMAND
    1 root       248 S    /init
    2 root         0 SW   [kthreadd]
    3 root         0 SW   [ksoftirqd/0]
    4 root         0 SW   [watchdog/0]
    5 root         0 SW   [events/0]
    6 root         0 SW   [khelper]
    9 root         0 SW   [async/mgr]
   12 root         0 SW   [suspend]
   13 root         0 SW   [npa/0]
  243 root         0 SW   [sync_supers]
  245 root         0 SW   [bdi-default]
  247 root         0 SW   [kblockd/0]
  273 root         0 SW   [kmmcd]
  280 root         0 SW   [bluetooth]
  294 root         0 SW   [kondemand/0]
  295 root         0 SW   [rpciod/0]
  301 root         0 SW   [smd_tty]
  315 root         0 SW   [qmi]
  326 root         0 DW   [rpcrouter]
  340 root         0 SW   [krpcserversd]
  431 root         0 SW   [dalrpc_rcv_SMD_]
  483 root         0 SW   [button/0]
  493 root         0 SW   [detection/0]
  495 root         0 SW   [detect/0]
  501 root         0 SW   [khungtaskd]
  502 root         0 SW   [kswapd0]
  504 root         0 SW   [aio/0]
  505 root         0 SW   [nfsiod]
  506 root         0 SW<  [kslowd000]
  507 root         0 SW<  [kslowd001]
  508 root         0 SW   [crypto/0]
  539 root         0 SW   [panel_on/0]
  548 root         0 SW   [vidc_worker_que]
  550 root         0 SW   [vidc_timer_wq]
  629 root         0 SW   [msm_serial_hs]
  633 root         0 SW   [msm_serial_hs]
  686 root         0 SW   [mtdblockd]
  704 root         0 SW   [msm_hsusb]
  713 root         0 SW   [file-storage]
  723 root         0 SW   [atmel_wq]
  773 root         0 SW   [isl29028_wq]
  791 root         0 SW   [kstriped]
  793 root         0 SW   [kcryptd_io]
  794 root         0 SW   [kcryptd]
  795 root         0 SW   [kconservative/0]
  796 root         0 DW   [kinteractiveup]
  797 root         0 SW   [knteractive_dow]
  806 root         0 SW   [led/0]
  817 root         0 SW   [binder]
  838 root         0 SW<  [krfcommd]
  843 root         0 DW   [voice]
  844 root         0 SW   [acdb_cb_thread]
  856 root       240 S    /sbin/ueventd
 1214 root         0 SW   [emmc-qd]
 1363 root       388 S    /sbin/offmode_charging
 1364 root       204 S    /sbin/detect_key
 1365 root      3360 S    /sbin/adbd recovery
 1367 root      9156 S    /sbin/recovery
 1377 root         0 SW   [kjournald]
 1381 root         0 SW   [sd-qd]
 1385 root         0 SW   [flush-179:0]
 1399 root      1608 S    /sbin/sh -
 1403 root      1596 R    ps

tdischino

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
my noobness prevails. i thought a factory reset from a custom rom would do just that, a factory reset. guess I just reset back to the baseline custom rom. Will restore my stock rom backup and see if that changes things.

dsevil

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Turns out I installed Clockwordmod Recovery at one point. Gonna see if I can use it to install the Gingerbread update. I'm aware this is risky. Here goes... :)

EDIT: nope.

Last edited:

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Updated to GB on a stock Shift. Everything seemed to go ok except for my location./ My phone now seems to think I'm not in NYC anymore. Can anyone guess what could be causing it?

dsevil

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh. And if you click on a shortcut to a built-in app on your home screen and get the message that "the app is not installed" or something along those lines, simply delete and recreate that shortcut. I had to do this with my shortcuts to People and Gallery.

Also had to clear Twitter's cache and force close it to get it working again, an issue reported by others.

I've also noticed that app2sd is a hell of a lot faster when pulling the database of apps. So there's that.

dsevil

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Also I could have sworn I posted something about this here...

Turns out having ClockwordMod Recovery installed *was* the issue.

Solution is to revert to a stock recovery image before upgrading.

Easiest way to flash a recovery image is to use something called "Flash Image GUI" (google it).

As for the original stock recovery image, I couldn't find it unofrtunately, but in a pinch, you can use the one from the HTC Gingerbread ROM. It's a .zip file with a long filename that I'm not pasting here :) but you'll find it in /sdcard/download/. Within that .zip file you'll find something called "recovery.img"; extract that somewhere on the sdcard and you'll be able to point the Flash Image GUI to it.

lancer1991#AC

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Had to unroot with the zip program to get my update to work. Did a backup with MyBackup and went to re-install everything only to find no data was included with my apps (even though I did backup of apps w/data) and it will only let me install a couple of apps at a time otherwise MyBackup reboots.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hope the devs come up with a new root method for all of you that decided to unroot... I've been running the stock rooted ROM since yesterday afternoon and haven't seen any issues. Waiting on this bad boy to get oc'ed

Obmutescence

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hope the devs come up with a new root method for all of you that decided to unroot... I've been running the stock rooted ROM since yesterday afternoon and haven't seen any issues. Waiting on this bad boy to get oc'ed

Yea I unfortunately jumped the gun and returned to stock and updated...I miss my root already :'(

kristi

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Updated a couple hours ago restarted phone and everything is fine. The best part I have to say THANK YOU GINGERBREAD FOR RUNNING SLACKER!!!!! my Slacker radio did not work at all after the last update and now it works again YAY

chronic25

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
More Gingerbread bonuses, I was finally able to get Sync working with my work PC AND I finally got contacts linking between Gmail, Phone and Facebook! Sweet!

Although, I have to say, once I saw the video on Sense 3.0, I was all about finding a Root hack to get in on my Shift.