Evo View: Android 2.3 vs Honeycomb

jmsilva22

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys, in regards to the EVO View, what would be the main differences between Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) vs Honeycomb? Is this update a must have?

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
1. Soft buttons instead of the capacitive buttons.

2. Better pen integration on the tablet. You can use it to select items in HC instead of just writing/drawing.

I'm sure there are other things too but I didn't notice a huge difference between the two when I updated mine to HC.

Reactions: jmsilva22

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Other differences:

You can put more icons on the homescreens, 30 vs 16, but there are only 5 now. Some people don't like the way the widgets look in HC.

Notification system is different

Some apps require honeycomb to run

App drawer is different

So far I really like the View with Honeycomb. I didn't use it much with GB though as I wasn't interested in any tablet with GB.

Brianv512

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand there is more function of the pen but does it maintain the original function as well? What if you root it and de-sense it, do you loose the original functioning then?

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
To me the writing ability with the pen got better after the update, it seems more accurate than it was with gingerbread. As for rooting and removing sense, I don't know.

Sent from my HTC View 4G using tapatalk

Brianv512

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Does the screen still pop up for different pen options? If you can use the pen for other entry does it still take a screen shot on tap?

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes. To get the options you tap the pen to the capacitive pen button, this pops up a menu to take a screen shot, open the note app, or change the pen options.

Sent from my HTC View 4G using tapatalk

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Since you can now use the pen to navigate like you would with your fingers, the screenshot requires an extra step. If you're looking at a photo in the gallery, using the pen will immediately draw on the photo. I found this out when I was trying to use the pen to go to the next image.

On the homescreens, the capacitive button for the pen now brings up a menu with "Take a screenshot", "New note" and "Pen Settings".

BlackBoy88

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what you use your evo view 4g to do. If you do a lot of reading by kindle app, the way the honeycomb version gives you less text (doubled spaced without the option to change spacing). Also, the black bar at the bottom of the screen never goes away. Games, Movies, Youtube, pdf readers...it NEVER goes away.