Tablet Price War

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Have the Table Price Wars started? I just noticed that Motorola dropped the price on the Xoom from $599 to $499 at Best Buy for the 32 gig model. I would guess they are trying to out maneuver Toshiba's Thrive that becomes available on Sunday, 10Jul2011. Also, do we look for a free pen with the Flyer or do we look for a price reduction on the Flyer and for the pen to remain seperate or do we look for a price reduction on both the Flyer and the pen? It looks to get interesting. :D

adamm44

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Have the Table Price Wars started? I just noticed that Motorola dropped the price on the Xoom from $599 to $499 at Best Buy for the 32 gig model. I would guess they are trying to out maneuver Toshiba's Thrive that becomes available on Sunday, 10Jul2011. Also, do we look for a free pen with the Flyer or do we look for a price reduction on the Flyer and for the pen to remain seperate or do we look for a price reduction on both the Flyer and the pen? It looks to get interesting. :D
If we're lucky a price drop for the Flyer will come within the next 14 days. Best Buy has a policy that if the price drops within 60 days of a purchase they will give you the price difference. I'm just about sure this won't happen though. *fingers crossed*

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site

With all the Honeycomb tablets coming to market, I'm not suprised with the Xoom's price reduction. With Best Buy's recent inclusion of the pen, I doubt a price reduction is in the works.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
A 32gb xoom with 3.2 and a working SD slot might have me return my flyer

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Have you checked out the TouchPad? I played around with one the other day and despite it being a little laggy, I was impressed and prefer it to the current Honeycomb offerings.

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
With all the Honeycomb tablets coming to market, I'm not suprised with the Xoom's price reduction. With Best Buy's recent inclusion of the pen, I doubt a price reduction is in the works.

I have not been able to verify that Best Buy has included the pen (assuming you are referring to the flyer and it's pen being included). It appears that report is not true. It's not true at BB online nor is it true in the local BB Store.

But I guess we can wish...

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
If we're lucky a price drop for the Flyer will come within the next 14 days. Best Buy has a policy that if the price drops within 60 days of a purchase they will give you the price difference. I'm just about sure this won't happen though. *fingers crossed*

Nice point adann_44.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want My Device to Be Productive

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
True. I like the flyer, but I may go back this weekend and checkout the Toshiba or the xoom for a couple of weeks. I work for HP, but I don't like our tablets to tell you the truth. We've had those for about 4 months at the office with pages of nondisclosure agreements all over the place.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The pen was free July 3 and 4. I got mine on the 3rd as I bought my flyer 4 days prior to that.

You are correct RkyMtnHigh as noted in our other thread, " It Only Took 2 Months for the Free Pen"

Reactions: swixtwix

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have not been able to verify that Best Buy has included the pen (assuming you are referring to the flyer and it's pen being included). It appears that report is not true. It's not true at BB online nor is it true in the local BB Store.

But I guess we can wish...

HTC Flyer Scribe Digital Pen Now Bundled at Best Buy

Best Buy must have pulled it, not suprising. I paid for mine and was pissed when I saw the reports of it being free. It really should be included as it's a big selling point for the Flyer especially with the sub $500 tablets looming.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Best Buy must have pulled it, not suprising. I paid for mine and was pissed when I saw the reports of it being free. It really should be included as it's a big selling point for the Flyer especially with the sub $500 tablets looming.

Keep looking and if you are lucky it will reappear within your 14 day return period and if not I will welcome you to my BB PO'ed group. I do enjoy seeing someone get the Free Pen benefit from the promotion after paying for it, so that I can feel like BB gets a bit of a jab. :)

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Well too bad for BestBuy. I got the Sprint EVO View today and I am loving it. Built-in radio, twice the storage and included the stylus for less than Best Buy's selling price.

I would not buy the WiFi only for more than $400.00.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk

swixtwix

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would not buy the WiFi only for more than $400.00.

I would buy the WiFi only version... and did... Knowing the View was on the horizon. I weighed how often I'm without WiFi... It boiled down to travelling and in-transit.

As much as I'd like to be connected 24/7, I don't want to deal with amonthly data plan. My phone keeps me connected, and that's enough... Starbucks are so abundant, the only real compelling reason for me is maps and navigation in transit.

I would consider a GSM version, if I travelled out of country more often.. but not the Sprint version not being an existing subscriber.

My wi-fi only device is "paid-off".

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I would buy the WiFi only version... and did... Knowing the View was on the horizon. I weighed how often I'm without WiFi... It boiled down to travelling and in-transit.

As much as I'd like to be connected 24/7, I don't want to deal with amonthly data plan. My phone keeps me connected, and that's enough... Starbucks are so abundant, the only real compelling reason for me is maps and navigation in transit.

I would consider a GSM version, if I travelled out of country more often.. but not the Sprint version not being an existing subscriber.

My wi-fi only device is "paid-off".

I agree and find WiFi sufficient as well. My HTC Incredible with it's data plan keeps me connected when WiFi is not available so I cannot see paying for an additional data plan. A tethered Flyer would be nice, but I would not pay a premium price for it. I am fortunate that as the IT provider for my clients I am rarely in a location that does not offer WiFi.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want a Device to be Productive

miakotamatsue

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Keep looking and if you are lucky it will reappear within your 14 day return period and if not I will welcome you to my BB PO'ed group. I do enjoy seeing someone get the Free Pen benefit from the promotion after paying for it, so that I can feel like BB gets a bit of a jab. :)

Goto Engadget website and print out the story about Best Buy selling the Flyer with the pen for $499. Go to your local BB and asked them why the tag on the device does not include the pen and the ad shows that it comes with the pen and device. I did that, but got rejected at the first Best Buy I went to. They said they couldn't help me unless it becomes official. The guy even searched online BB and it didn't come up.

So, I went to the second store and show them the article. The sales girl got her manager to sell the device with the pen for me at $499.

I returned the Xoom to Costco after owning it for two months to get the HTC Flyer. It's well worth it. The Xoom has dual processor with Honeycomb 3.1 and yet, it lags behind the HTC Flyer. The Flyer has a lot of useful apps that come with it. The size is perfect for carrying around especially on a plane flying economy seat. Although the Xoom is very well built, it's just too heavy for a tablet. You'll end up needing a bag to carry it. Although apps are beginning to trickle in for Honeycomb, most of those apps are just reformatted for the larger 10.1 screen, but nothing new in terms of new design for the larger screen. And well, Xoom users are still waiting after months for their micro SD to be enabled.

Last edited:

anon(20964)

May 7, 2010
Visit site
So, I went to the second store and show them the article. The sales girl got her manager to sell the device with the pen for me at $499.

That's awesome - glad to hear when things work out. As for me I went to only one Best Buy store and got a response similar to your first store visit. At any rate it gave me a chance to weigh exactly what I wanted/needed with regards to WiFi and/or Cellular. For me cellular was important and the fact that the Sprint version had extra memory and pen was only icing on the cake. I currently have a T-mobile Galaxy Tab, but felt the Flyer/EVO View is better suited to how I desire to use the device. It also gave me a chance to consolidate billing as I have a family plan with Sprint. And the EVO View matches my EVO 4G phone very well.

I view the subsidized pricing as moot, and not a ball and chain because if I want out of the contract - I realize that I simply pay the ETF and be done with it.

I must admit though - I really like the Flyer/View and am glad I jumped on board.:cool:

If there is a Tablet Pricing War brewing - I look forward to benefiting from it. If something comes along that is better than the Flyer/View I will be upgrading after careful consideration...;)

But hopefully the pending Tablet War - also spurs an increase in the quality and timely update releases for Android Tablets.

swixtwix

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I view the subsidized pricing as moot, and not a ball and chain because if I want out of the contract - I realize that I simply pay the ETF and be done with it.

Then you've got a WiFi and useless 3G Flyer @ $400+ depending on how long you keep the plan. Which leaves you with essentially what you wouldn't do in your previous comment. If you did the trade in plan program, maybe you can recoup some money...

Anyway, if some GAVE me a View, I wouldn't turn it down. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance