HTC Scribe Reviews

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Now that the HTC Flyer/4G View has come down in price I'm looking to pick one up. i'm curious to know how well the scribe technology works. Can I do away with my notepad? what is its best use? overall reviews of the pen?

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Now that the HTC Flyer/4G View has come down in price I'm looking to pick one up. i'm curious to know how well the scribe technology works. Can I do away with my notepad? what is its best use? overall reviews of the pen?
If you're looking to pick one up you might want to step on it because time is short and scribe work very well.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
They will be available on eBay and deal sites. The effectiveness of the pen was something I was curious about.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Do you feel as if it could replace a pad and pen? I may take a page full of notes. Is scribe a viable option or is it best suited for circling and highlighting?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
If you want to take notes in your native handwriting you will find it quite effective, but if you are expecting OCR or handwriting recognition, you will be severely disappointed, mostly due to the lack of application development. My ThinkPad Tablet is much more effective due to application availability than my Flyer. This is the reason my Flyer stays at home and the TPT goes to work with me :)

IT Service Professional, I Just Want a Device to Be Productive

reed4richards

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
One of the main reasons I got an HTC View was for the exact reason you are questioning: to replace the paper notebook and pen at meetings. After having used it for a couple of months, I can say it's close, but I'm not quite ready to give up my notebook yet, especially for longer meetings where I am going to to a lot of notes. i make this opinion with the expectation that I won't use OCR in any capacity. Some conclusions:

- what it does very well:
* integration with Evernote and giving me the ability to save every note I ever make.
* integration with the calendar which ties my meeting notes to calendar events so they are categorized and easily ordered
* integration with Polaris Office App allowing you to use the pen to make notes on MS Word docs that I get from emails. Using Dropbox, you can save these docs and view your notes on MS Word on your computer. I find this particularly useful when I get meeting agenda that I want to take notes on. I have to say, though that this is a bit sketchy because sometimes the word doc (when displayed on my computer) doesn't save the notations in the right place, making my pen written notes look somewhat disjointed.
* my company uses white boards a lot and I am able to take pictures on diagrams on white boards, annotate them and save them / send them to colleagues.

- what it doesn't do very well:
* sometimes the pen isn't sensitive enough and my handwriting looks wierd (e.g. my "j" looks like an "l"). Unlike a pen, where you can see darker and lighter parts by how hard you press the pen to the paper, the scribe works with consistent pressure, so I've had to learn to write a little differently.
* sometimes the screen is too sensitive - your hand in no way can touch any part of the tablet while you are writing or it will mess it up. This makes for an ackward writing experience.
* the length of a note appears to be limted, so if you need to take a lot of long notes, you need to start a new note. It would be nice if you could combine pages of different notes into one.

For what it's worth, when I go into a meeting, i no longer carry a notepad, but carry my View and Scribe pen instead. But if I think I am going to take a lot of notes, I bring a paper notepad. From what I understand, Honeycomb is supposed to address some of these issues so eventually, I may be able to get rid of the notebook alltogether. Even so, the other cool things I can do (check email, surf the web, etc.) makes this purchase worth it for me.

For what it's worth, here are some suggestions for making it more business useful:
- get a google voice number and the google voice app and you can send sms text messages
- get imo chat to be able to use instant messaging
- install GO Launcher and you can create a 5x5 icon screen to utilize the size of the tablet.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site
thank you. that was exactly the type of feedback i was looking for. i wanted the viewpoint of someone who had used the tablet for a period of time. most tech reviews are after only a couple weeks/days.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante