Poll - Will You Pay the $600 Best Buy Price for the HTC Flyer?

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So at this point it is official and Best Buy will be charging extra for the digital stylus, which will push the price beyond $600 including tax and shipping. So are you willing to pay this price for the HTC Flyer? Let?s hear the forum?s opinion.

My Vote is No.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yupp....unfortunately....don't really care though. It is the only tablet I have liked this much, others have all been meh

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm toying with the idea of buying a Fujitsu Lifebook T580 stylus to see if it works with the Flyer. Fujitsu sells it for like $22, and reportedly it uses the same N-Trig DuoSense technology as the Flyer. I'm a little hung up on the fact that it appears to only have one button instead of two, so I may not do it.

I'm still on the fence as to whether to abandon my pre-order and spend the $50 gift card on a video game or something.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
According to BB for Business, Superior Communications makes the Flyer Scribe pen. Superior Communications site has this description w/sku:

37034BBR - Scribe Stylus Pen, Silver, Includes One AAAA Battery, HTC Branded
SKU# 88282VRP
Features
o Digital pen to ink on photos, notes and screen captures
o Allows you to share favorites with your social networks
Benefits
o Allows for maximum use of your HTC tablet
Instructions
1. Refer to manufacturer instructions for proper use.
Product Line
OEM
--------------------------------------------
Isn't an OEM an original equipment manufacturer? I always thought OEM products (software, etcetera) are packaged with the main item. Am I incorrect?
--------------------------------------------
Superior Communications | Experience. The Difference.

hummingbirdhill

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So, I'm uncertain as to whether I'd pay additionally for the Flyer AND Scribe pen . . . I think I'll wait to see what's in the Flyer box . . . Perhaps BB will have a Flyer instore that I can experiment with prior to opening my own box.

Why is only BB for Business selling the pen? Could it be that the Flyer's marketers think only business users will use the pen? If so, it's a very wrong marketing assumption. As a college professor of writing, I would have a huge use for the pen.

And just maybe someone else will also sell the pen. I would very much prefer to purchase the pen somewhere other than BB; options are always better than nonchoices (is that a word?). Competition tends to lower prices . . .

IIJBII

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
So at this point it is official and Best Buy will be charging extra for the digital stylus, which will push the price beyond $600 including tax and shipping. So are you willing to pay this price for the HTC Flyer? Let?s hear the forum?s opinion.

My Vote is No.

I'm still interested in the Flyer with the pen. I love my Galaxy Tab (size) so I think the Flyer would be an upgrade to replace that. I've had good luck with HTC products so I plan to check out the Flyer. I think the price is a little steep but still worth checking it out. Who knows maybe I will find more uses for a tablet using the pen.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
No way. $500 was already too much for that size and those specs, not to mention no honeycomb at launch. $600 is absurd.

Teknik-jyden

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
lucky for me i dont have that prob, im buying from a danish internet store and it will come with the pen, really cant see why BB dont sell the pen in the box also, and i thing 80 dollars for the pen is way out of line, but in the end i would probably have bought it anyway, if it wasnt in the box tho...

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
No way. $500 was already too much for that size and those specs, not to mention no honeycomb at launch. $600 is absurd.

Agreed... I am canceling my BB pre-order. You can get the 16gb TF with keyboard for less than the Flyer with pen.

Sorry BB and HTC.. you lost my $$$$$. Thats just my personal decision, others have their own and I respect their choices.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
lucky for me i dont have that prob, im buying from a danish internet store and it will come with the pen, really cant see why BB dont sell the pen in the box also, and i thing 80 dollars for the pen is way out of line, but in the end i would probably have bought it anyway, if it wasnt in the box tho...

Out of curiosity, Teknik, how much is the Danish supplier charging?

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
It heats up.

Out of curiosity, Teknik, how much is the Danish supplier charging?

Cnet had some interesting comments posted to their article on the stylus being sold separately, especially the comments from the UK, where they say the stylus was originally slated to be sold separately and that HTC had backed down on that. It does not say if that Flyer was WiFi only, but it is notable that HTC had reversed their original decision. The other thing that caught my eye while following the UK link the article stated the all of the news services in the US were on fire over the controversy. Honestly I am cancelling my order next week if there is no change and waiting on something new, right now I just have a bad taste in my mouth for HTC and Best Buy.

Link:http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20060538-251.html

Last edited:
Reactions: hummingbirdhill

suzi

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm still on the fence. With most of my work involving math and/or music, having something to write with is important for me. I'm sick of lugging around a tablet PC. But I'm bummed about this, for sure.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
What reason do you want HC??

With the scribe and Sense, honeycomb at this point offers nothing more than what it already has comparably

Lol you're joking right? There are tons of articles out there on this topic but bottom lin Honeycomb is designed for larger screens Ecclair, Froyo and Gingerbread aren't. Go into a verizon store or a best buy mobile and play with the xoom. Then try the Galaxy Tab. World of difference.