Can't download apps from Android Market

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem on my Flyer and I found lots of Android forums discussing it. It's widespread - many different manufacturers and devices - and it's been going on for a long time. It's a known problem and Google is supposed to be working on it.

It appears to be a problem with the gmail account associated with the Market. If you configure more than one gmail account for your Google app(s) - e.g., Gmail, Talk - the Market can switch to the wrong one and then fail to download. There isn't a straight-forward way to correct this. Some folks found that if they purged all the cache and app data from the Market, Download Manager, and the various other Google apps their device would prompt them to enter their Gmail account and the Market would start working again. It worked for some but not others. I tried some of those solutions on my Flyer and none of them worked for me. I had to reset using the volume down / power button method since Factory Data Reset in Settings-Storage didn't work.

There's an updated Market app - check out some of the comments. Folks want to know if it corrects this problem.

http://www.androidcentral.com/new-android-market-pushing-out-few-new-settings

Hmm. I've only ever had one Gmail account on my Flyer, so I don't know what it means that I still experienced the issue. Also, if the issue is not Flyer-specific, does that mean that there's a separate software problem with the Factory Reset not working through Settings? Has anyone successfully performed a Factory Reset through the Settings menu on a U.S. Flyer?

fluffynotfat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. I can not do a factory reset through the settings and have done a hard reset twice now since the same problem keeps recurring. I talked to HTC and they said a hard reset is the only fix for it. They explained it was a gmail account issue not being able to properly communicate through the market. They seemed aware of the problem but not too concerned about it. I got my flyer in AZ and have since moved to another state where the local bestbuy seems reluctant to exchange it. I think it is unacceptable that I have to wipe my flyer everytime I'm unable to download from the market and the amazon appstore just isn't the same. I was told that since the flyer has come down in price it would just be easier to buy a new one but why on earth would I do that after having such a bad experience with HTC and bestbuy already.

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been having the same problem. I can not do a factory reset through the settings and have done a hard reset twice now since the same problem keeps recurring. I talked to HTC and they said a hard reset is the only fix for it. They explained it was a gmail account issue not being able to properly communicate through the market. They seemed aware of the problem but not too concerned about it. I got my flyer in AZ and have since moved to another state where the local bestbuy seems reluctant to exchange it. I think it is unacceptable that I have to wipe my flyer everytime I'm unable to download from the market and the amazon appstore just isn't the same. I was told that since the flyer has come down in price it would just be easier to buy a new one but why on earth would I do that after having such a bad experience with HTC and bestbuy already.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. The only way this could be remotely acceptable is if HTC is too busy working on Honeycomb (or ICS) for the Flyer and therefore has no time to fix this problem.

batmanxgr

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't access Android marketplace about a three weeks ago. I just restarted my flyer and EVO and everything was normal. I'm assuming that before you guys did all this hard resetting and stuff. You tried restarting your flyer?

Last edited:

yapkuen

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't access Android marketplace about a three weeks ago. I just restarted my flyer and EVO and everything was normal. I'm assuming that before you guys did all this hard resetting and stuff. You tried restarting your flyer?

On my first Flyer (the one that had the problem), yep. Rebooted, cleared the Market cache, cleared my data from Market and re-logged in, uninstalled any Market updates... basically anything I could think of to avoid hard resetting, because I had work files stored in Notes that for confidentiality purposes I could not back up to Evernote. All no help.

Martindesi

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried it again: powered off, held down volume down button, pressed & released power (still holding vol down), then it quickly goes right to the usual home screen. Can I pull the battery or something?
HEY! I tried everything in two forums to no avail. This works: disable data saving. I put it back on and downloads failed. Disabled again and downloading np.

Issy00

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else having this problem today? Tried to download new apps and a few updates, and none of them would download. I just get a "download unsuccessful" message. I've tried it on several different WiFi connections, so it's not that, and I can download apps just fine on my Droid Incredible, so it's apparently not an Android Market problem. I can also download and install with no problems from Amazon app store. Did a reboot of my Flyer, and that didn't solve the problem either.
I had same prob and found no simple solutions until one day I tried to download a pic/to facebook. A message popped up and told me disable data saver. I went to settings/battery and data manager/ disable data saver. It was that simple. And it worked!!! Finally a simple answer! I would get the orangw triangle with the exclamation point in it before. I coukdnt download from market. This solved problem.

Smitzer6

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue....

I tried the whole remove updates thing, I tried the delete apps, turn off gmail, gtalk etc. etc. etc.

What you need to try before all of that is to confirm that Media background data is not turned off. Download Manager is a component of Media.

Settings>Usage>Media make sure Media back ground data is not disabled, i.e. is not ticked. I ticked this when I was tinkering with the settings... and for 3 weeks I couldn't work out why I couldn't download apps via 3g/4g.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz