It only took 2 months for the Free Pen

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so the add says 2 days only, but obviously Best Buy is looking at the over pricing of the Flyer's Pen and could be realizing that it just may have hurt sales. I do wonder if the free pen offer originated with Best Buy or if there was some pressure from HTC? It still adds to the bitter taste I have from being gouged on the original pricing. :mad:

Here is the link:

HTC Flyer Tablet & Scribe Digital Pen Package

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I hear ya - I wasn't happy about being gouged either but I really love my Flyer, even with the $80 premium. Hope they sell more units...more sales = more software support.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so the add says 2 days only, but obviously Best Buy is looking at the over pricing of the Flyer's Pen and could be realizing that it just may have hurt sales. I do wonder if the free pen offer originated with Best Buy or if there was some pressure from HTC? It still adds to the bitter taste I have from being gouged on the original pricing. :mad:

Here is the link:

HTC Flyer Tablet & Scribe Digital Pen Package

Thanks for the info. I just bought my Flyer on Wednesday and went back. The girl at BB said "That's for online only" so I told her I wanted to return my tab, so she went and got the manager who gave me the pen off the shelf for free. You saved me $86.00 and some change with tax! I probably won't use it much, but I am one of the types who likes all the bells and whistles when I buy something. I usually wind up paying the premium for it too...like my King Ranch F250.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Kudos to Best Buy!! I just called them, since I had just ordered my Scribe Pen this past week and it's on its way, and told them about the package deal in the OP and the guy refunded me back my money for the pen AND shipping!

Thanks S Prime for the link! :cool: You saved me some money sir!!

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Kudos to Best Buy!! I just called them, since I had just ordered my Scribe Pen this past week and it's on its way, and told them about the package deal in the OP and the guy refunded me back my money for the pen AND shipping!

Yes, Best Buy is definitely being a stand-up business in this issue. Of course, the pen probably costs $10.00 to manufacture and BB buys them for $40.00... I'll probably continue to spend my money there.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

Great marketing Best Buy, you have made solid return customers out of LowFire and RktMtnHigh and alienated comicsispeople, me, and the majority of the early adopters with your choice to price the pen separately. Not only did hurt sales but, as comicsispeople alluded, you penalize those of us who really appreciate the Flyer and sing its praises, by the fact that if we do not have wide acceptance we will never see the software upgrades we want and possibly no even a 2nd generation Flyer. Also, you blew your chance to have a very strong customer base, in the early adopters, who would have been singing Best Buy’s praises instead of feeling victimized.

LowFire

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Such as it is with any early adopters, not really any reason to be upset, this happens all the time

Had I been home in the States, I would be in the same boat as you guys, but since I am deployed right now the 3-4 week delay on the pen shipping is why I got it.

edit: What I mean, is how often is it a device is released and then a month or two later price is dropped on it? It happens almost every time, this would be a similar instance, but instead of a price drop it is just an incentive given.

Last edited:

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Great marketing Best Buy, you have made solid return customers out of LowFire and RktMtnHigh and alienated comicsispeople, me, and the majority of the early adopters with your choice to price the pen separately. Not only did hurt sales but, as comicsispeople alluded, you penalize those of us who really appreciate the Flyer and sing its praises, by the fact that if we do not have wide acceptance we will never see the software upgrades we want and possibly no even a 2nd generation Flyer. Also, you blew your chance to have a very strong customer base, in the early adopters, who would have been singing Best Buy’s praises instead of feeling victimized.

Since Ultimate Electronics and Circuit City went under where else is there to buy really or semi-high end electronics at the store (other than Amazon or eBay which are both online)? Best Buy could have told me to get bent, but they didn't.

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Such as it is with any early adopters, not really any reason to be upset, this happens all the time

Had I been home in the States, I would be in the same boat as you guys, but since I am deployed right now the 3-4 week delay on the pen shipping is why I got it.

edit: What I mean, is how often is it a device is released and then a month or two later price is dropped on it? It happens almost every time, this would be a similar instance, but instead of a price drop it is just an incentive given.

I agree as an early adopter, you must accept that you will see a price drop after a period of time, be it short or long and I have no problem with that, having fallen on that sword many times. I admit that I purchased the $80 pen, by choice while protesting the entire time and knowing full well that it would be offered for free down the road. We may have a limited source and Best Buy may be my only or best choice for my next purchase, but if an equal option exists, that one will be my choice.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the flyer today at bb and i also bought the pen. I should go back tomorrow and bring in this ad

Yes, you should. If they give you any lip, say "fine, I'd like to return these two items" and they will probably reimburse you for the pen. It really depends on the manager of the store though.

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
So has anyone walked into the store to buy a new Flyer and gotten the pen free? I'm looking to buy one soon, and I'd rather get it in store than online, but obviously I want the free pen.

RkyMtnHigh

Banned
Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So has anyone walked into the store to buy a new Flyer and gotten the pen free? I'm looking to buy one soon, and I'd rather get it in store than online, but obviously I want the free pen.

I think the sale was only for 2 days. I'd bought mine 4 days before that and took it back saying I wanted to return it since they offered the free pen directly afterward. They gave me the pen off the shelf.

ethan

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I think the sale was only for 2 days. I'd bought mine 4 days before that and took it back saying I wanted to return it since they offered the free pen directly afterward. They gave me the pen off the shelf.

Wait, so the pen isn't free anymore?

S Prime

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I do not know. The flyer that was attached to this topic was only good for 2 days. They may have another one out now that has it still.

The link to the offer is no longer valid. It was first listed Sunday and stated 2 days only so my guess is that it was for Sunday and Monday, the 4th. I would look for it again especially after Toshiba drops the Thrive next week.

IT Service Professional - I Just Want My Device to Be Productive

miakotamatsue

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I went to a Best Buy to buy the Flyer two days ago. They knew nothing about the tablet and pen package. Apparently, the original online deal on Best Buy has been pulled. They told me to wait until it's official. I showed them the article on Engadget and they said they don't know anything about it. They couldn't do anything about it until it's official.

So, I went to another Best Buy. I showed them the article and asked if I can get the deal. The sales girl went to talk to her boss and came back and told me that they will offer me the deal. So, I got the tablet and pen deal for $499.

This inconsistency in store policies makes me think you probably can scam them on other deals. Just make a fake ad or something and go to Best Buy and asks them. If it doesn't work, then go to another store until you get it.

On another note, I have owned a Motorola Xoom with Honeycomb 3.1 for two months now. I returned it the other day to Costco and decided to get the Flyer instead. For those who have Honeycomb envy, I say don't. For those who have dual core processor envy, don't. The Xoom was somewhat laggy. The HTC Flyer is much more snappier in terms of speed than the Xoom. It was quite large and a little too heavy to fit in a pocket or small man-bag. There were very few apps for Honeycomb too.

The interface that HTC did on the Flyer is much better than stock Honeycomb which the Xoom came with. All the apps that came with HTC are very useful. Holding the Flyer is not tiresome at all. The videos running on the Flyer is as good as the Xoom with Honeycomb. I find myself using the HTC Flyer a lot more than I did with the Xoom.

Having said that, I can't wait to see what HTC will do with the Honeycomb update.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie