Unable to follow directions (drivers to root phone)

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I would like to install option 2 for the 2.1 leak onto my hero. I have tried following all the posted directions but can not root my phone. I have run into two problems.

1st, the driver. I have two laptops, one with windows 7 and one with xp. I followed the directions and made all the proper folders and downloaded the usb drivers through the sdk set up file (on both computers). Both computers find the hero when i plug it in and both automatically install a driver. I have tried clicking uninstall on those drivers but they just re-install themselves. I have tried updating them but on the win7 computer it says the driver is already up to date, and the xp computers says it can not find any 32-bit drivers. I tried skipping to the step where you back up installed apps, and the xp one said it could not install the device.

The win 7 computer led me to a second problem, the command prompt appears defective. It will let me do "cd c:\" and go to that folder but wwould not let me "cd" to android_stuff. so i changed the folder name to just "android" and that worked. then i tried to switch to "cd android-sdk-windows" and it said invalid directory. I tried renaming it, typing the whole string, and a bunch of other commands but i can not get it to go to that folder. When i type "dir" it displays the exact spelling, and no matter what it says invalid.

Any ideas? I was excited to try the leaked 2.1, but can't get past the first step!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If not, download and install the PDAnet windows application. That also has the proper drivers in it.

If you have any other issues, I can help out via logmein or something.

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to both of you, I was able to root the phone. It is performing the backup right now. The XP computer kept asking me to restart and never actually got the driver working with either program. The win7 computer got it working first try with PDAnet. I then changed the folders to be shorter so instead of using c:\android_stuff\android-sdk-window\tools i was using just c:\sdk\tools\

Thank you!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to both of you, I was able to root the phone. It is performing the backup right now. The XP computer kept asking me to restart and never actually got the driver working with either program. The win7 computer got it working first try with PDAnet. I then changed the folders to be shorter so instead of using c:\android_stuff\android-sdk-window\tools i was using just c:\sdk\tools\

Thank you!

awesome, glad everything works

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused. I downloaded the zip file for option 2, and extracted it. how do I use it? Do I copy the files to the nandroid folder on the sd card?

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Thank you guys! It works great and i am happy to have 2.1. I'm a little disappointed that sending/receiving picture messages with wifi connected still doesn't work.

Another interesting note- I got an an email from the google Android Team about features of my new "Nexus one."

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thank you guys! It works great and i am happy to have 2.1. I'm a little disappointed that sending/receiving picture messages with wifi connected still doesn't work.

Another interesting note- I got an an email from the google Android Team about features of my new "Nexus one."

Heh, yeah, many have gotten that e-mail. I wasn't one of them, though.

mrinehart93

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

You should get a free Google Voice account because of that too... happened to me.

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice, but I signed up for google voice a long time ago. I have been using it for quite a while. I love the fact it converts the voice mail to text and can send it to you.

Fazulka

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I would like to use apps to sd. If i partition my sd card using the boot menu used to flash thing will it just start working? or do i need to install something else? It there a thread with instructions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie