110 Error RUU 1.56 Fix - 100% unroot too!

dfbonney

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Finally brought this here... I didn't even know it had been linked to XDA so many times from here.
Oh... and Hi... I'm new here, and I hope this is the proper place for this.

I cannot undo anything if you ran the 2.1 RUU release from Sprint.

(As of 3/31/2010 - I am 10 for 10 for getting these back and working!! 3/3 of going back to 100% stock)
Edit: I have no longer kept track... its been over a month and I know personally I've done about 15 more of these... with about half being return to stock.

If you need to contact me, PLEASE EMAIL instead of using private messages, it'll probably turn into a google talk chat anyways, so add me on there, dfbonney@gmail.com (Its just easier than having to log in here and reply to private messages, since I get emails on the go as well.)

So you just ran the 1.56 RUU and got a 110 error. Now your screen turns on and stays black and if you plug the phone into USB you see the HTC logo. Unplug it and see the RUU menu.

Like you, I decided to attempt to roll back using the RUU 1.56. I was hit with the 110 error, and nothing but fastboot would work, I was able to launch ./fastboot-mac oem boot to get into the system.

I tried ./fastboot-mac boot image/bootname.img and a billion other things like everyone else who is having the issue, but just like them I had no success. In the second post below are the steps to resolve this issue. This will either take you to your first Nandroid backup or to whatever ROM you choose to flash once you get recovery back. I have not found a way to get back to 100% stock, but at least your phone wont be a brick.

:eek:EDIT:As of 3/30/2010 @ 8:30 PM I was able to get my phone completely 100% to stock. I was able to do this by retrieving a Nandroid restore from someone who used flashrec to make their initial backup. This restore does not touch the recovery image but I was able to boot into my recovery then write the HTC recovery back on top of it. I now have 100% un-rooted phone. See Post number 2 for the right way to do this.?

I've helped a few people over log me in now.
I'm willing to continue doing this but it is cutting into my family time, I will do this for a "respectable" amount of money.

Feel like I've helped you??
Buy me some coffee!

Last edited:

dfbonney

May 19, 2010
Visit site
(Zip attached includes fix and stock folders. Use the fix folder FIRST to get completely booted. You can use the stock folder if you want to get 100% stock after you have a running unrooted system but have RA recovery.)

Hero200.zip

Steps to resolve:
(You SHOULD have a Nandroid backup of some sort, if not download a ROM... Fresh1.1??)
1) Boot the phone to black screen
2) Plug phone into PC/MAC - The HTC logo should appear at this point
---- If you've been doing anything else, rerun the RUU and let it fail and reboot to the HTC logo.
3) PC - fastboot oem boot | MAC - ./fastboot oem boot
(Make sure you turn on USB Debugging under Settings --> Applications --> Developer)
4) Root your phone using asroot2
Code:
adb push asroot2 /data/local/
adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/asroot2
adb shell
/data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/bin
cat sh > su
chmod 4775 su
5) This is where your Nandroid backup comes into play.
(Browse to your nandroid folder, find your first backup and copy all of the .img files except system and cache to your SD card root directory)
NOTE: At this point you should dismount the SD card if you mounted inside of Android OS(Sense/Launcher)
6) run adb shell (PC - adb shell | Mac - ./adb shell)
7) type su
8) Run the following commands (if you get out of memory errors, type su again and try once more)
NOTE: Do not copy the "#"'s in the commands, the # just means you are running as SU, as opposed to the "$"
Code:
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
# flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img
# flash_image misc /sdcard/misc.img

9) now... type reboot recovery

This time you should get your recovery menu, should have been RA or whatever you used... from there I did a complete nandroid restore and my system booted.

Also, after I did this I did try to let it boot without doing a recovery and it wouldnt go anywhere... but I'm fairly impatient... it may have wanted to load. I figured it best to do an entire Nandroid restore though.

-------------------------------------------------------------
100% Stock Configuration Work Around
-------------------------------------------------------------

Non-Rooted Nandroid Backup:
nandroid.7z

I was able to get my phone completely 100% to stock. I was able to do this by retrieving a Nandroid restore from someone who used flashrec to make their initial backup. This restore does not touch the recovery image but I was able to boot into my recovery then write the HTC recovery back on top of it. I now have 100% un-rooted phone. I'm not sure how to go about posting a 127MB file, what do you think it the best place?

After restoring the Nandroid backup I tried this:

Code:
Dustan-Bonneys-MacBook:tools dustanbonney$ ./adb shell
$ su
su: permission denied

Then I rebooted to recovery (I used RA 1.5.2)
Code:
Dustan-Bonneys-MacBook:tools dustanbonney$ ./adb remount
remount succeeded
Dustan-Bonneys-MacBook:tools dustanbonney$ ./adb shell
/ # mount -a
mount: mounting /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /system/sd failed: No such file or directory
/ # cd /sdcard
/sdcard # flash_image recovery /sdcard/Stock/recovery.img 
flashing recovery from /sdcard/Stock/recovery.img
/sdcard # reboot recovery

I was booted to the Triangle and exclamation mark... I pulled the battery and booted up normally.
Stock Kernel - 2.6.27-533ce29d htc-kernel@and18-2 )
Stock Build - 1.56.651.2 CL85027 release-keys

Last edited:

dfbonney

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Other things that should be mentioned:

If you used RA 1.6.2 - I was unable to get my boot.img or the stock boot.img from the RUU's rom.zip to flash back to the recovery partition. I had to use the RA 1.6.2.img and "flash_image recovery /sdcard/recoverynamegoeshere.img" (After more testing on this... sometimes I just had to write it twice.)

It seems that if you've flashed the radio update, the RUU does not write the radio back successfully. Others have had issues going back to the stock radio using the upgrade.zip option as well.

I attempted to use the boot.img, recovery.img, from the RUU's rom.zip with no success. I might try it again. I was able to get to stock recovery (Triangle and exclamation) and to the Hboot menu... but from hboot I had to run the RUU and rebrick the device cause I couldnt get anything at that point, even fastboot oem boot wouldnt load.

There have been times when I get weird issues writing the flash recovery, boot, or misc and when you reboot and load "fastboot oem boot" it wont look like it goes anywhere.... check "adb devices" and your device should be listed. From there do an "adb remount" and then "adb shell" and reflash once more and then "reboot recovery".

Last edited: