I am going to be flashing my brother's Hero over Thanksgiving with CM7. I went to CM's website and found this listing for Hero ROMs: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

Where it says update-cm-7.1.0-Hero-signed.zip, does that mean it's only a ROM that updates an existing CM7 installation? Or can this ROM be used as the 1st custom ROM flashed onto the Hero?
    11-20-2011 03:16 PM
    You can flash that ROM -- doesn't matter if its a first time flash or not. Be sure to download the GAPPS file, found here: Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki Scroll down and download the Cyanogenmod 7 Gapps file.

Before installing be sure to wipe/factory reset all the data through recovery -- backup any important information, such as contacts, sms/mms, etc. Flash the ROM then gapps and you'll be good to go
    speedtouch likes this.
    11-21-2011 12:19 PM
    Thanks very much for your reply. I kinda thought it was OK to use this ROM first time flash, but I just wanted confirmation. The word "update" threw me off a bit. I will definitely get the GAPPS file, thanks for reminding me. And thanks for the flash tips!
    11-21-2011 12:23 PM
    I forgot to mention that Sprint Visual Voicemail will not be available. You will need to use either Google Voice or do a work around for Sprint Visual Voicemail.

For the workaround, download the link here: [APP] Sprint Visual Voicemail For Cyanogen - xda-developers
    Then download and install a Froyo ROM: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution -- download the RC 6.1.0 (Froyo)
    ...and the MDPI gapps file for CM6: Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

Install the Froyo ROM from recovery, then gapps, then sprint visual voicemail -- flash all three zip files in the order mentioned. Reboot and log-into the market. You'll need Titanium Backup (not sure that he has already purchased it). With Titanium backup create a backup of the Sprint Visual Voicemail app+data.

Reboot back into recovery and wipe/factory reset, then install CM7 and new gapps file (not the MDPI one). Restore the visual voicemail app+data with Titanium and you'll have voicemail up and running. It's very tedious, but worth the workaround if you don't use Google Voice.

It would also be advised to create a nandroid backup of Froyo before wiping/factor reset just in case you need to revert back to it for something like this. It's will speed up the process.
    speedtouch likes this.
    11-21-2011 03:32 PM
    Hmm, I am not sure that he uses Sprint VVM. Heck, I don't even know if I use it on my EVO 3D. I'll have to first figure out what it is. If he does use it, I will follow your instructions. I know he doesn't use Google Voice, nor do I. I was definitely planning on using Titanium and Nandroid before doing any heavy lifting on ROM flashing.

I really appreciate your help on this. I was worried I wouldn't find too many helpful folks to discuss this with since the Hero is such an ancient phone. You've been very helpful.
    11-21-2011 04:17 PM
    No problem. I still have my trusty Hero and make it a point to stop by this forum to help answer questions. The phone actually has a strong following on XDA, which is pretty active. The guys over there are working on an ICS port. Hopefully it comes to fruition soon just as a point that this old phone could continue to be supported...which Sprint said was not capable of being upgraded to anything beyond 2.1. lol
    speedtouch likes this.
    11-21-2011 04:29 PM
    Yeah, I am not too impressed with the way Sprint updates its phones. It's a shame, too. But, when you think about it, there's really no benefit to any carrier to keep updating phones. It's no surprise that Apple has such a strong following, they support their devices for years. I'll head over to XDA and see what's up there regarding the Hero. Thanks again!
    srkmagnus likes this.
    11-21-2011 04:46 PM
    So I upgraded my brother's Hero yesterday to the Hero Deck 1.3 ROM. He did use Sprint VVM, so I did a Titanium Backup on it. But, when I was cleaning off the SD card after installing Hero Deck, I accidentally deleted the entire Titanium Backup folder! Doh!! Luckily, I was able to get Sprint VVM working perfectly without having to Nandroid to the the original Hero ROM he was running. I used this guide: How-To Reinstall Your Sprint Visual VM under CM7!!! - xda-developers

That guide worked perfectly. Whew, what a mess it was. But in the end, all went well. His Hero has been resurrected into a surprisingly useful phone. It's far, far faster now and his battery usage has lessened. Though, as an early Christmas present I got him a new Seidio battery. His battery wasn't lasting but a couple of hours under normal usage. He's rockin' now! Thanks for all your help and information, srkmagnus.
    srkmagnus likes this.
    11-25-2011 03:24 PM
    No problem, Speed! Good to see you got it running. There is a new development thread with an Alpha port of ICS for the Hero here: [ROM][ALPHA][TeamICS-4.0.1-26NOV-GPS-HeroC] - xda-developers

I have it installed and its coming along nicely. The guys are making good progress on it -- might want to pass it along to your brother just in case he decides to give it a try in the near future
    speedtouch likes this.
    11-27-2011 10:33 AM
    Nice! Thanks a lot. I would have never imagined Android 4.0 would ever make it to the Hero. Very cool, indeed.
    11-27-2011 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD