Things to consider before unrEVOked??

KyleBuch

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
So I am on the fence... Should I dive in to rooting? unrEVOked looks appealing..
but what should I do/consider before I start the process??
What about backing up the stock sprint rom? best way to go about that?

Last edited:

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
So I am on the fence... Should I dive in to rooting? unrEVOked looks appealing..
but what should I do/consider before I start the process??
What about backing up the stock spring rom? best way to go about that?

Just to make it clear you have 1.5 or 2.1 on phone now?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I was just sbout to send u a direct message lol
I am running 2.1 with the most recent OTA

Haha good timeing then:) Backup anything you want to keep like text,call history,apps.(I use astro to backup apps) I don't backup anything else,but you can if you want.If your contacts are saved to gmail then it will put them back for you.As for backing up stock when you go threw the process and it gets to where you make a nadroid backup theres you stock backup.If you need to return to stock completely you would just run the 2.1 RUU.Also just making sure are you going to use the method in this link?
[GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers

KyleBuch

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Is that the guide you would recommend?
My build number is .5 so i guess that is a good thing..
I am going to be honest, I am till slightly confused about this rooting...
After I use the above guide, do I still need to select a custom rom to load?
and Nadroid.... after I root do i use nadroid to back up or do i do it before?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Is that the guide you would recommend?
My build number is .5 so i guess that is a good thing..
I am going to be honest, I am till slightly confused about this rooting...
After I use the above guide, do I still need to select a custom rom to load?
and Nadroid.... after I root do i use nadroid to back up or do i do it before?

I would use the guide that i linked you to.After that
you can flash a custom rom if you want to,(I Would)
As for the nadroid you can't make it till you do that process.Nadroid will backup your phone how it is now(without the call history/text).Its mainly used when you want to backup and try anew rom or theme.
*tip-once you complete the process,save the first nadroid backup file to your pc for safe keeping.(that way you can always return to how your phone is now,

slipdisc

Jun 3, 2010
www.phat1.com
The guide that Beezy pointed to, is the one I used. It worked perfectly with no issues at all.

About 2 weeks later, I braved flashing one of Beezy's ROMs (IcedHoneybun v2). That made the phone much more responsive and peppy. In fact its what I'm using now. And would highly recommend it.

Cheers :cool:

The Mac

May 18, 2010
Visit site
just to clarify - Nandoid bacls up EVERYTHING, including apps, texts, voicmails, calllogs, ect...its snapshot....

so if you hose your texts/calls, restoring the nandoid puts it all back to the way it was when u make the backup.

RethX

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Currently using Beezy's IcedHunnyBun V2 with the DarchHoney Kernel. No plans on changing, until someone gets Froyo working 100% preferably with SenseUi running.

Although, I'm thinking of making my own custom bootscreen just to say I did.

canterrain

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
just to clarify - Nandoid bacls up EVERYTHING, including apps, texts, voicmails, calllogs, ect...its snapshot....

so if you hose your texts/calls, restoring the nandoid puts it all back to the way it was when u make the backup.

Keep in mind nandroids are very large for this reason too. So if you find yourself suddenly wondering where all the space on your SD card went, it's probably cause you have way to many nandroids still on the card. Move them over to your computer for safe keeping.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind nandroids are very large for this reason too. So if you find yourself suddenly wondering where all the space on your SD card went, it's probably cause you have way to many nandroids still on the card. Move them over to your computer for safe keeping.

I have a copy saved on Dropbox just in case my SD card goes corrupt while on the go and need to Nandroid back.

The rooting process if fairly simple. Follow the instructions and select your recovery. Amon's newest is probably the default most people use. Once you gain root do a Nandroid since it's in a freshly rooted state. Then go on to flash ROMs of your choosing.

Have fun :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy