Non sprint Hero 2.1 upgrade

wna2005

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Hello All,
This may be a stupid question, but I am considering upgrading my hero from 1.5 to 2.1. My only concern is I don't have a sprint branded phone. After a good deal of searching, the only help I seem to find is for sprint phones. My provider claims to have the 2.1 ready to go but much like sprint, they have been delaying the release for months. Now I just found out it will be 3Q/4Q this year before it comes out. What would be the best way to go about upgrading if this is possible? I have downloaded the android SDK a few months back to play around with, but I have not mastered it yet by any means.Thanks for any help in advance...

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello All,
This may be a stupid question, but I am considering upgrading my hero from 1.5 to 2.1. My only concern is I don't have a sprint branded phone. After a good deal of searching, the only help I seem to find is for sprint phones. My provider claims to have the 2.1 ready to go but much like sprint, they have been delaying the release for months. Now I just found out it will be 3Q/4Q this year before it comes out. What would be the best way to go about upgrading if this is possible? I have downloaded the android SDK a few months back to play around with, but I have not mastered it yet by any means.Thanks for any help in advance...

What carrier do you have? The 2.1 sprint released should of been held off even longer till they actually fixed it up.Sometimes it is better to wait.

wna2005

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I have ntelos, a smaller regional carrier.. great company, only problem is they sometimes get looked over due to lack of customer base. I dont know if this makes a difference or not but they are a partner carrier of sprint, my aircard from ntelos actually uses sprint branded software

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I have ntelos, a smaller regional carrier.. great company, only problem is they sometimes get looked over due to lack of customer base. I dont know if this makes a difference or not but they are a partner carrier of sprint, my aircard from ntelos actually uses sprint branded software

Ill check around,cause im not sure(Anyone chime in here if you know) I know there is a cellular south rom that was made from a sprint rom.

wna2005

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I'm still looking too. I guess as long as I back up my ROM the worst that could happen if I try a 2.1 is that it wont work and I'll have to revert back to 1.5

wna2005

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
There was a thread for upgrading non spring heros up to 2.1 over at xda. Lemme see if I can find it again.

Edit: I didn't look close to see if this is will work for you, but this is the one I remember seeing. [ROM] BitterSweet v1.2 (05/1/10) (Sprint leak for NON-Sprint CDMA Heros) 100% DONE - xda-developers

Thanks, I found that last night... I am going to try that as soon as I can get root to work. Maybe someone has run into this before, I am trying to go through the command prompt steps to begin root process. The problem I am running into is once I get the part when I type "adb devices" i dont get an error, but a message pops up saying adb server out of date... killing, daemon started successfully.. list of devices attached, but my device never appears. is this a driver issue with the pc or something else?
thanks

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I found that last night... I am going to try that as soon as I can get root to work. Maybe someone has run into this before, I am trying to go through the command prompt steps to begin root process. The problem I am running into is once I get the part when I type "adb devices" i dont get an error, but a message pops up saying adb server out of date... killing, daemon started successfully.. list of devices attached, but my device never appears. is this a driver issue with the pc or something else?
thanks

Try restarting your pc.Make sure usb debugging is on selected. What kind of OS is your pc?

wna2005

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
I think I figured it out.. I am running vista, but I just discovered that AVG was blocking the adb drivers from doing a complete install. It looks like I am getting somewhere now. Once I finish the root, I'm gonna try bittersweet. Thanks for the help everybody, i will keep you posted

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I think I figured it out.. I am running vista, but I just discovered that AVG was blocking the adb drivers from doing a complete install. It looks like I am getting somewhere now. Once I finish the root, I'm gonna try bittersweet. Thanks for the help everybody, i will keep you posted

Cool,do that keep us posted cause im sure this will help someone else that is in the same boat as you.

wna2005

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Cool,do that keep us posted cause im sure this will help someone else that is in the same boat as you.

I am slowly making progress, but I have hit another snag. after running

mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

I get; mount: operation not permitted

any ideas? Should i wipe the phone first?

Edit...

Thanks again

So this morning went through and created a goldcard tested and all is working as far as that goes. But I am still getting the same error when I get to the mount step. Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz