OK....so I rooted a while back and was currently running the Pure Hero rom. This morning the home button on the phone wasn't working so I rebooted. At boot I didn't get past the black HTC screen and after a few minutes the screen went to the white one with the skateboarding droids.

I was able to get into recovery mode (black screen/green text) but can't do anything because the home button is not functional. The trackball works to select, but the back button doesn't work either (have to use the menu button to go back.)

I tried using adb to either flash a ROM or nandroid recover, but I'm not that versed in Android. All I really want is to go back to 1.5 stock so I can take the phone in for the button issue (if it's a physical problem).

How do I use adb to get back to stock? ADB recognizes the sd card and files on it, I just don't know how to get the recovery image to run. I also tried to RUU the official Sprint 2.1 but the phone isn't being recognized via USB.

Gotta go to work, won't be back until after 10pm Central time. Thanks in advanced for any help.

wkj
    06-17-2010 11:01 AM
    If you can use adb (try "adb logcat" to verify) then its being recognised via usb.

run the RUU after you verify, you dont need to do anything on the phone to install it

i installed the RUU on a friend of mine's, with adb logcat running, and it will stop ADB, and continue with the install as you watch.
    06-17-2010 01:16 PM
    the RUU is on the HTC website. You will need to download HTC Sync and install that 1st as it loads the drivers necessary. Then get the RUU and update the phone. You cant go back to 1.5 unless you can flash to a custom 1.5 ROM THEN you can run the 1.5 RUU. 2.1 iS official so you wont have any issues returning the phone if you need to.

HTC Mobile Phone Support - HTC Hero™ (Sprint) - Downloads
    06-17-2010 06:23 PM
    Well, got home from work, put the battery back in the Hero and tried to boot into recovery but it would not let me past the skating droids.

Plugged the USB cable in....orange charging light on (good).....still stuck at droid screen so i do a battery pull (again) and nothing......zilch! No charging light no power. Tried another usb port and cable...still no luck.

Guess it's off to a Sprint store tomorrow.......thanks for the help.

wkj
    06-17-2010 10:31 PM
    Well, got home from work, put the battery back in the Hero and tried to boot into recovery but it would not let me past the skating droids.

Plugged the USB cable in....orange charging light on (good).....still stuck at droid screen so i do a battery pull (again) and nothing......zilch! No charging light no power. Tried another usb port and cable...still no luck.

Guess it's off to a Sprint store tomorrow.......thanks for the help.

wkj
    Just wondering can you power on the phone then plug into pc. Open command propmt an type
    adb remount
    adb devices
    Does that do anything? Like I said just wondering no biggie if you don't want to.
    06-17-2010 11:31 PM
    adb remount gets me "remount failed: invalid argument"

adb devices shows the hero in recovery

My main issue is that the home button is required to initiate any function in the recovery menu (on the phone) and pushing it aborts the commands

wkj
    06-18-2010 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD