Help with rooting and choosing a stable Froyo ROM for Sprint Hero

brooklyn

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I've finally had it with Sprint's/HTC's so-called fixes and the phone lag and plethora of other issues and I want to root my device. I've been on the fence for quite some time but I got the final push last night when a Sprint Tech Support Rep told me he's never had any issues with his hero but then pointed stated: "I don't run Sprint's version of the software on it, either." He told me I can root and if I ever need to send it in for a replacement I can just reflash the 2.1 update that's on Sprint's website.

So my questions are: What is the best way to root the device? AC's/XDA's command line option? One click root?

What is the best and most stable ROM with Froyo that will add to the features my handset currently has? I don't want to trade in one issue for another. And by issue I mean no preview for the camera, GPS errors, not being able to update PRL, etc. I understand no software or OS is completely flawless.

I don't care much for themes and such, I use Launcher Pro with my own icons and widget setup which is what I believe I'll stick with for the near future.

Basically, I want Froyo, as stable as possible and I want it to be a one shot deal. I don't plan on swapping ROMs every other day. I want something that's going to work, and good!

Thanks to all in advance for all help, guidance, tips, suggestions, corrections, and everything else you guys can throw my way. You're the experts and I'm the noob, help a brother out! lol

DoubleA319

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

brooklyn

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking at CM6 for a couple of days. It was actually what the Sprint Rep recommended.

I've been scouring the forums, xda included, but with most threads reaching 100+ pages it's becoming almost impossible to read them all. And a lot of the devs and posters automatically assume that everyone reading knows what they're doing, to a noob they might as well be speaking Hindi.

I wish everyone's tutorials and explanations were as simple yet insightful as gbhil's tutorial on rooting. I mean, once rooted HOW do I install a custom ROM?

tndank

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Once rooted, download Rom Manager from the Market. Then, just download the CM6 rom and place it on your SD card. Launch Rom Manager and follow instructions. Install Clockwork. Click to back up current rom. Then, click 'Flash Rom from SD' and select the CM6 rom you put on your card. Sit back and let it do all the work.

It's really that easy. Make sure you don't get any pop-ups when launching Rom Manager. You must set debug mode on. If things aren't set up properly, pop-ups will let you know.

Reactions: brooklyn

DoubleA319

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I actually much prefer the Amon_Ra recovery image. Ive heard some people experiencing issues with clockwork on some roms. But either way you should be just fine. Matterfact Amon_Ra has new recovery images so whatever you see in the rooting guide you can replace with the new recovery which is version 1.6.2:
XDA Post Just scroll down & you will see the links & images.

Another tip, most rom posts on any android forum have instructions on how to flash(install) a rom. Look at a few different roms and you should see the same instructions every time. They will all tell you to (1)boot into recovery (2)Do a nandroid backup(VERY important), (3)wipe data (4)flash zip from sd card & (5) reboot your phone

& I do understand the hacking terms may confuse you. I remember seeing a dictionary of terms one of these android websites put together. It would be nice if someone made a glossary for the androidcentral forums **Suggestion** I will try and find 1...no guarantees...

Reactions: brooklyn

brooklyn

May 22, 2010
Visit site
So I tried to root using gbhil's method but I got a message saying:
[1] killed /data/local/asroot2 /system/bin/sh

Does anyone know what went wrong? I downgraded to .5, not .6 and followed the instructions line by line.

brooklyn

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I'm really late in my reply but I wanted to thank you all for the help and advice. I was finally able to root and rom my phone with the universalandroot and rom manager. What a cinch!
I can say that I'm getting the itch to try out more roms and see if anyone fits better than CM6, which I'm really happy with, but curiosity is getting the best of me. Anyone else have any recommendations?

user7618

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ah, you feel the pull of change! Lol, flashing roms can get addictive. I don't flash new roms very often, setting my screens back up is a pita, usually, it's themes. Check out xda hero boards for a great selection of roms and themes.

Sent from my CDMA Hero. I got some hot Froyo on Hero action here!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781