Programs on SD card on HTC Hero (Sprint): Is rooting necessary?

rcuswalk

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My wife has an HTC Hero from Sprint with Eclair (2.1). She likes everything about it, except that it will not allow her to load programs on her SD card. Now that she's reached the limits of her built-in memory, she has to take old programs off in order to install new ones. The problem is that she wants to keep the old ones, too.

So, here are my questions:

1. I assume that I would have to root the phone to a Froyo version to make the phone able to load programs on the SD card. Am I correct or is there some other way to do this?

2. My wife doesn't want to lose any of the features she now has (camera, GPS, etc.). From what I read, it sounds like you lose some features no matter which ROM you use. Is there a ROM that doesn't require the forfeiture of any feature other than Sense?

3. I use Linux as my operating system and am fairly comfortable with the terminal and its commands. What is the recommended way of rooting a Hero from Linux?

Thanks for your assistance. Having no experience in "rooting" phones, your help is greatly appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox