ROM recommendation

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a question, will attempt this process tomorrow on daughter's laggy Hero. She wants new phone, but due to upgrades (or lack of), this is our route.

I'm very familiar with roots and roms, running Epic, so having read this, looks like the rom she wants as well as results. I want to hand it to her, no maintenance, some speed and good battery - she will be happy.

So, one question, I'm going with this rom, know how to do that. Is this one rooted, or do I also need to apply root? If so, have z4root downloaded.

And to double check, I see asopCMod (newer update) as well asthe link above asopMod. Which one is better? Speed, battery, stability, no bells or whistles.

I know these are older, the support is gone, so glad to find this thread, will push the thanks button.

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
And to double check, I see asopCMod (newer update) as well asthe link above asopMod. Which one is better? Speed, battery, stability, no bells or whistles.
I know these are older, the support is gone, so glad to find this thread, will push the thanks button.

The Hero will need to be rooted for sure, if that's what you're asking. The Froyo ROM is the easiest to flash and is extremely fast and good on battery life. The Gingerbread ROM is just as fast and even better on battery, but you may run into a few issues flashing it.
The good news is that we can help you get it flashed. So either one is great, the GB one is what I run daily. Post questions, happy to help.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty good at winging on some of those issues - just updated husband's Epic last night with manual zip update, had issues, got resolved and running. He won't let me touch his, which again means no maintenance (he has heard me cursing at phones and spending hours on "broken things"

So I could do either one, I was just concerned that some of the posts are older, meaning newer, improved ways and downloads are buried somewhere in the pages of posts that I don't feel like reading.

Like the Epic, has big changes in roms and kernels every 2 months, so need to stay on top of it if flashing. Just got official Froyo this week (I'm running leaked), so havent even seen Gingerbread.

That is why I just want to be sure I'm using the best, don't need CM7, just stable, so Froyo or GB, just want stable, quicker, and battery life.

If you suggest one like above, can you give exact name - in XDA there are zillions that are close. Again, I have downloaded the two asopMods' (and appropriate Gapps). CMod is signed 2/16, so newer. Didn't know if is was better.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I was looking at this, does it need Clockwork installed?

Can I use z4root? Is that permanent? They place these on card, go to recovery, make backup nandroid, wipe (I always do 3 times just in case), then load zip and Gapps, reboot and done?

If it is that easy, that will be my plan, will try Gingerbread rom.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
CHEFKEYSER,
I read, re=read these and other threads, referencing XDA. Spent the morning, but got it done.

I ended up using Hero Root, couldn't get to recovery, searched some more, downloaded Rom Manager, used to obtain Busy Box, and Clockwork. Wasn't sure, put it on, running 2.5.0.7. Couldn't get the asopCMod you suggested to download, so put on 0216.

Finally got to Recovery, backed up, and extracted all from zip, reboot, and good to go!!

I had downloaded some zip files from my Epic, they won't open, I'm on CM3+ with file extensions, so probably not compatible, and I'm not going to try to figure it out.

I have CPU set on iteractive, assuming this uses as needs, but will watch to see if others are better, set max speed to 768.

Much perkier!!

Daughter will be happy with new toys on this. The only thing she wants I couldn't figure out is Skype, but this will give her something to learn and do.
Its a great start, saves me from listening to her complain about how slow the phone is when she isn't due for an upgrade for a year. Too many commercials, but all your help really helped. I pushed the Thanks button and really mean it.
I hadn't kept up on any of these developments since I never had one.:D

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
One more question just in case she has any problems, and did find a couple.
Google uploaded only part of her contacts and phone numbers, phone dialer, when extending to dialer pad for extention dialing has a lock pad, and haven't tried bluetooth.

Swype apk that I had running on stock will not run now either.

I did download Clockwork 2.5.0.7 off Rom Manager and everything loaded and is up fine.

However, when I go back to read, it suggests Clockwork 3.0.something (I downloaded).

Should I put this on phone and flash? Will that help prevent any problems? If so, can I flash over 2.5 or do I need to do anything else? Obviously removing it would screw up rom.

Again, I'm running Epic, need 3.0 but I'm on .ext files vs older rsf's from Sprint, so I do know this makes a difference in what I load and run.

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
One more question just in case she has any problems, and did find a couple.
Google uploaded only part of her contacts and phone numbers, phone dialer, when extending to dialer pad for extention dialing has a lock pad, and haven't tried bluetooth.

Swype apk that I had running on stock will not run now either.

I did download Clockwork 2.5.0.7 off Rom Manager and everything loaded and is up fine.

However, when I go back to read, it suggests Clockwork 3.0.something (I downloaded).

Should I put this on phone and flash? Will that help prevent any problems? If so, can I flash over 2.5 or do I need to do anything else? Obviously removing it would screw up rom.

Again, I'm running Epic, need 3.0 but I'm on .ext files vs older rsf's from Sprint, so I do know this makes a difference in what I load and run.

1. Swype will be an ongoing issue on custom GB ROMs. Uninstall and reinstall using the Swype Installer.

2. If you can flash using 2.5, there is absolutely no need for CW3. At all. Try downloading the latest update of aospCMod today. 2/25

3. Don't worry about the dialer lock. Just press through it.

4. I'll be around all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol