ROM recommendation

mmhhc

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I followed the one-click root method and am now looking for a Hero ROM. The phone is rather sluggish in my opinion so I am hoping to gain speed. In order of preference I need:

- stability (this is for my wife, she will yell if it crashes a lot)
- speed (faster than the out of the box config)
- features (the basics should be there: camera, video recorder, etc.)

Edit: A sense ROM would be ideal.

Thanks!

Last edited:

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I would undoubtedly start here:

[ROM] aospMod | AOSP 2.2.1 (Froyo) [12/10/2010] - xda-developers

It's aosp's stripped down 2.2 ROM that gives you more functionality and speed than your Hero will have with anything else.

If you want 2.3 with minimal (but all fixable) issues, go here:

[ROM] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.2 (Gingerbread) [02/16/2011] - xda-developers

This is a sort of mashup of aosp and Cyanogen's 2.3 ROM, which I use daily. I hear tell of minor GPS issues, but I have yet to encounter them.

xMOODYx

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
is there a how to specific to this ROM aosp 2.2.1,? or do you just load it to the SD card like the one click root and choose this file? yes I'm a n00b(first time) i know just enough about computers to get myself in trouble. and i know my punctuation is horrible. i have root and usb debugging turned on but couldn't figure out the terminal stuff. thank you in advance

hero992000

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Place the rom and gapps on the root of the sd card and reboot into recovery then select install zip from sd card after that choose the gapps zip which is the google apps once that is complete reboot and re sign into your google account also if you are looking for speed adw launcher ex in the market is a good home replacement app

xMOODYx

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the help. now i have another issue. was i supposed to flash the ROM, reboot then flash the gapps. cause i did them both in the same recovery session and i got an htc logo then a chromish android logo that animated and thats where it is now. it seems like the logo hangs every so often. but its not finishing the boot process. i checked both hash5 sums and the zips were complete. or does the first boot just take really long? over ten min. thanks

Last edited:

xMOODYx

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
now i need help. oops

ok i removed the battery and rebooted to the recovery (GodSpeed Darchstar editon). i flashed it again crossing fingers. same result hanging in boot screen. maybe i should try a diff rom. any suggestionsn or just flash back to stock.

xMOODYx

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Back to square one

ok im not trying to spam this post but just update it as i try stuff. so i flashed the cyanogen (mod) and was still hanging on the boot logo. si i flashed back to stock and that worked. i would like to try again but i need my phone tonight any suggestions on what to try next are appreiciated. i will need to re root and try something different i guess.
Thanks, brian

ace_spades

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Download ROM Manager from the market and see what options it gives you...and try one out...make sure you back up your current rom. ROM MANAGER pretty much does the flashing for you

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: xMOODYx

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
ok im not trying to spam this post but just update it as i try stuff. so i flashed the cyanogen (mod) and was still hanging on the boot logo. si i flashed back to stock and that worked. i would like to try again but i need my phone tonight any suggestions on what to try next are appreiciated. i will need to re root and try something different i guess.
Thanks, brian

It's fine. I was all over every forum on the web trying to flash my first ROM. Here is the order I recommend:
1. Reboot into recovery
2. Do a nandroid backup on your stock Sense if you're still using it (this is useful in case you ever need to update prl and profile, which you will)
3. Do a factory reset, wipe data, dalvik-cache
4. Flash your desired ROM (aosp 2.2 always gives me zero problems)
5. Flash the appropriate gapps file (should be embedded in the same post as the ROM on xda)
6. Reboot system

Reactions: xMOODYx

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Download ROM Manager from the market and see what options it gives you...and try one out...make sure you back up your current rom. ROM MANAGER pretty much does the flashing for you

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

+1
ROM Manager works for you if you let it.

xMOODYx

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
It's fine. I was all over every forum on the web trying to flash my first ROM. Here is the order I recommend:
1. Reboot into recovery
2. Do a nandroid backup on your stock Sense if you're still using it (this is useful in case you ever need to update prl and profile, which you will)
3. Do a factory reset, wipe data, dalvik-cache
4. Flash your desired ROM (aosp 2.2 always gives me zero problems)
5. Flash the appropriate gapps file (should be embedded in the same post as the ROM on xda)
6. Reboot system

ill try it thanks
rom manager is not working for me or im doing somthing wrong i downloaded the premium version and its not finding romsand now it wont even look.
it also changed my recover to clockwork 2.5 can i update it to 3.0.0.5

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
ill try it thanks
rom manager is not working for me or im doing somthing wrong i downloaded the premium version and its not finding romsand now it wont even look.
it also changed my recover to clockwork 2.5 can i update it to 3.0.0.5

There is no reason to mess with updating to 3.0.0.5 unless you're attempting to flash Cyanogen Mod 7 (Gingerbread). Even then, there are ways to do it with just 2.5, which is more versatile anyway. I could never get 3.0.0.5 to work properly. ROM Manager won't help you find ROMs you don't already have.
This is the best place to find ROMs:
Hero CDMA Android Development - xda-developers

xMOODYx

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
i believe so the option in recovery was wipe data/factory rest. then went to advanced and cleared cach. strike that just tried loading it with rom manager and it worked. thanks very much

chefkeyser

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
i believe so the option in recovery was wipe data/factory rest. then went to advanced and cleared cach. strike that just tried loading it with rom manager and it worked. thanks very much

No sweat, I don't run it anymore, but I always call aosp 2.2 the most reliable ROM I've used.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer