Rooted, what's next?

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I finally rooted my phone using Hero Root.exe
So, what should do now:? where is some kind of the list of roms I should try and how...

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I found Beezy v2 image but I still don't know how to recover my data and what can I do with this rom file.
I found Fresh Hero 2.4.0 also. Looks good.
Can anyone guide me how to install it?

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you flash a custom recovery? If not, download ROM Manager from the market and install the recovery. You will need to then Nandroid backup to keep a copy of your phones current state just in case you ever need to return back to this point. Do this by:

Power off
Hold home+power on
Select Nandroid when the recovery loads and accept it.
Reboot.

You can now flash a ROM by downloading the file and placing it onto the sd card root directory. Make sure to always backup before flashing a new ROM just in case. Turn off the phone and reboot back into recovery. Anytime you flash a new ROM you need to wipe/factory reset the following:

Wipe/factory reset
Advanced/wipe dalvik cache
Partition/format boot, system, cache and data
Flash rom by selecting file from sd card
Reboot

The first boot will take a few minutes, don't worry if it takes longer than normal. You will need to set everything back up and log back into google. Hope this helps you some. Feel free to ask if you need help.

Reactions: Frodo79

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank You:)
I found Rom Manager on the market. I installed it and made a recovery image.
I saw that:
"No /sdcard/.android_secure found. Skipping backup of applications on external storage.
No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext."
and then "backup complete". I hope that's good.
I didn't see Nandroid anywhere.
When I push Home and Power on I see a message that asks me if I want to delete all data.
I'm goping to connect my phone to my PC and save that recovery image somewhere.
ok, I got it
http://img850.imageshack.us/i/recovery.jpg
What should I do now? I'm stuck.

Last edited:

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but there is nothing out there.
What is the next step?
I think I did backup(look at the picture). I hit "backup current rom" 3 times, so I got 3 bakup with 3 different dates and hours.
I downloaded 2 roms(Fresh and Beezy v2)

so is it now safe to do these:
Wipe/factory reset
Advanced/wipe dalvik cache
Partition/format boot, system, cache and data
Flash rom by selecting file from sd card
Reboot
?

by the way, when I hit
"backup current rom"
it is showing me that it's ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7
Does this soft does full backup or do I really nead to do thid with that Nandroid which I can't find anywehre.
Oh, that third backup was finished with rebooting, the first one didn't. There was just that warning I wrote You before.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for jumping in @Frodo.

@Mad Power off the phone. When completely off, hold home+power on until the recovery loads. It should display something like this:

- reboot system now
- apply sdcard:update.zip
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- install zip from sdcard
- nandroid
- partitions menu
- advanced

choose nandroid. From there, select backup. Once this is completed, access the sd card from your computer and store the entire backup folder you just created on the computer.

Now you want to wipe everything I mentioned in the third post. Once you do that, you are good to select "install zip from sdcard". Find the ROM you downloaded. Remember that it needs to stay a .zip file, do not unzip the file. Select the file, either Fresh or Beezy, and follow the prompts to install. It will tell you that the install is complete at the bottom of the screen once the bar is filled.

Reboot your phone and you'll be good to go. If for whatever reason you get an endless boot loop, pull the battery, enter recovery (home+power) and wipe everything again. If you still get the loops, go into recovery -> nandroid -> restore and select the backup file you made. This will get you back up and running to problem solve or re-download the ROM you are trying to use. Sometimes a download will be corrupt and you'll need to re-download it (this rarely happens).

Learning to root and flash ROMs is a bit tedious for the first few times. But once you got it down you should be good to go.

**Edit**
Don't worry about the backup saying "no ext found". It just means that you don't have a custom partition installed so the backup will not create one of the ext.

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I got Fresh rom installed. Works good, although I don't see any difference... maybe one or two, and those unned3ed apps are uninstalled.
Can you tell me what's good to install?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Any Gingerbread (2.3) ROM. I started a thread for the new CM7 ROM, search this forum and follow the first post to download the ROM and gapps (google apps). There is another thread for a ROM developed by aosp which followed the CM7 branch for a while. I havn't downloaded the ROM in a few weeks so I'm not sure what's new. It is definitely a good ROM to use as well since he does really good work.

Remember, if you flash any AOSP ROM (android open source project) you will need to download the gapps file to get gmail, market, maps apps installed on the phone. Good rule of thumb is to thoroughly read the first post for any ROM thread you plan on flashing. it will explain the installation method in good detail.

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Man, I installed it... I mean [ROM] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread) [03/10/2011]
It's awesome, super fast, super cool, totally refreshed my phone and finally I got rid of all unused apps. I installed few gapps. It's cool that it asks what I want but after all I have some apps that somehow were installed without my knowledge: Books and Car Home.
How can I get this screen again with the list of gapps to choose?
I downloaded this rom from this website:
[ROM] aospCMod | AOSP 2.3.3 / CM7 (Gingerbread) [03/10/2011] - xda-developers
but my theme/screen doesn't look like that. Why?
Anyway, I was sured that I will loose all data from SD but I still got it.
I'm wondering what do you use Dev Tools, Talk, Terminal Emulation for...?

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I also would like to know what is all those names like Froyo and all others that I can't even remember...

bb_batman_dcx

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
dont worry about Dev Tools, Terminal Emulator, etc. im using the same ROM on my Hero right now and dont use those apps at all.

when you hear the names Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, etc. those are the names of the versions of Android (1.6, 2.0/2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 3.0 respectively)

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
So who is so hungry that put these kinds of names to software versions?
Oh and another question.
So I got new systemn, I imported my phone list.
How can I find out what apps I had and used without restoring my backup image?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Few things:

- The list of apps to install only shows up once, right after starting fresh with a factory reset. No worries though, because everything that was on that list can be downloaded straight from the Market.

- The Developer is using a theme with the phone. Look under the apps installed on your phone. You'll see an app called theme chooser. It's the app used to install the theme. For the Mau5 Theme used by aosp, look here https://market.android.com/search?q=ricardo+cerqueira&c=apps

There is a free and donate version, along with other themes by the same developer. Glad you are liking your phone. Hopefully these new ROMs will breath new life into your experiences with the phone.

Opps, also forgot to mention that you can now over-clock your phone for speed improvements. go to Settings -> CyanogenMod Settings -> Performance -> CPU Settings. Minimum and Max CPU settings can be played with. 691 Max has been proven stable, meaning you shouldn't experience reboots/freezing. Play around with the settings. Make sure to keep a copy of the Nandroid backup on the sdcard just in case you need to restore.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So who is so hungry that put these kinds of names to software versions?
Oh and another question.
So I got new systemn, I imported my phone list.
How can I find out what apps I had and used without restoring my backup image?

Google names the Android Versions after deserts in alphabetical order. Ice Cream is the next iteration coming out in a few months (or so).

You can't see which apps were installed without restoring your Nandroid. The good news is now you can take advantage of apps that backup your apps. Mybackup is one and Titanium Backup is the other. You will need Titanium backup paid/key to backup the apps and include the market links. Otherwise you won't see the apps in my downloads of teh market and you won't get the updates (Titanium Backup Only, I think MyBackup does this with the free version).

Mad

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I know Titanium Backup, I used it in the past.
Nandroid... really I didn't see this name even once in my procedures.
Overclocking... I'll set 691 but I wonder what was on the clock by default?
Uhh, I wanted to use 691 as max and it's already there... so no OC for me...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
yeah, I know Titanium Backup, I used it in the past.
Nandroid... really I didn't see this name even once in my procedures.
Overclocking... I'll set 691 but I wonder what was on the clock by default?
Uhh, I wanted to use 691 as max and it's already there... so no OC for me...

I'll update my recovery later and try and find Nandroid for you. It could be that it's different in the Recovery version you have. 691 is overclock speeds. Stock speed is 528(or 576?). You can set it higher but do so with the understanding that it might not be stable. Still, 691 is more than enough to see the difference in speeds and enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34