HOW-TO root your Sprint Hero (condensed and easy to read version)

MSK01

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I have not seen a problem with XP yet. Usually if HTC Sync installs ok, your device is recognized. I wonder if he happens to have USB Debugging Disabled.

If all else fails, install PDAnet. That will 100% for sure install the correct drivers. I am on win 7 64 and had problems. I uninstalled HTC Drivers, installed PDAnet and no problems :)

I love you. Apparently I turned it off and that was the reason it wasn't working. Ahhh programing, this little mistakes are always the cause...

EDIT: Oh **************************. My phone froze at step 9. I started the nandroid backup and the Performing backup : .......... appeared. Then I left my computer for about twenty minutes, I came back and its still at the same screen. I tried clicking other keys to abort and nothing worked.

Right now I'm pretty sure I'm treading on a very thin line with my phone.

Help...

EDIT # 2: After waiting an hour for a response, I got impatient... unplugged my phone, removed the battery. Rebooted the phone, plugged it back in and redid step 8. I got no recovery menu, but i found out nandroid was already on my sdcard, my phone probablly just had the screen freeze. Phew...

Last edited:

l88m22vette

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I searched all over the net and this is the best way to root the Hero (I've got the newer one running Eclair). I did have one question though: v1.5.2 didn't work for me so I used v1.2.3 and things went perfectly, so should I now try v1.5.2 to update the root? Does it matter? Is there any advantage/disadvantage between them?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I searched all over the net and this is the best way to root the Hero (I've got the newer one running Eclair). I did have one question though: v1.5.2 didn't work for me so I used v1.2.3 and things went perfectly, so should I now try v1.5.2 to update the root? Does it matter? Is there any advantage/disadvantage between them?

I wouldn't bother upgrading it. It will still do all the basics, just be sure not ot change the file names of your nandroid backups and you'll never know the difference.

l88m22vette

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
In the few hours since I posted I found the new v1.6.2.img at xda and went with the blue carebear ;) xda-developers - View Single Post - [Recovery] CDMA Sprint [07-Mar-2010] RA-heroc-v1.6.2 I got an error when I tried a nandroid+ext(?) backup, but then the normal nandroid backup went through and it started up on the first run-through :D Pic because I started rooting yesterday and because my phone is a week old:
DSCF1107.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

tojoe616

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
when i go to run adb push asroot2 /data/local/ it says no such file or directory and I downloaded unzipped the file place in the sdk folder and made sure its named asroot2 with no extensions.. any ideas?

l88m22vette

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Are you in the same file in the cmd window? You first did cd C:/.... ("...." being the folder extension) to get into the folder where the asroot2 and recovery image are, correct?

drjoed

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I used the root procedure here and installed latest DamageControl ROM. Did not do a wipe (stupid) and having a few glitches. Would like to restore my stock ROM and start over but when I hold home and push start/power button I am not getting the recovery menu!!
(One glitch is that when I push and hold power button alone I do not get any menu at all!!) Also when I plug the phone back in to my XP machine it is now not recognized. I tried several items mentioned including turning off USB debugging but no luck. Also tried going to the device manager screen and reinstalling the USB driver but when I point to the location it now tells me "software not found" Any ideas?

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I too had issues with my PC (win7) recognizing the device at one point. The thing that I did to resolve that was to install and run the HTCSync. Once I started up HTCSync I was able to see my device again in adb.

RizNette

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Having issues with the Nandroid backup I created while rooting. I wanted to re-flash to it but it keeps telling me failed verification i believe it was due to not being signed. Any ideas how to get it signed?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Nandroid backups don't get (or need to get) signed. It sounds like you might have changed the name of the backup, or it's just corrupted.

If you changed the name, change it back to a simple one word name (something like backup1) and retry.

RizNette

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Nandroid backups don't get (or need to get) signed. It sounds like you might have changed the name of the backup, or it's just corrupted.

If you changed the name, change it back to a simple one word name (something like backup1) and retry.

The folder is called Nandroid & the zip is of course Nandroid.zip

Very odd, but i had to download a nandroid 1.5 from online since I couldn't use my phone at all but now some apps i backed up aren't even showing up anymore. Is there a recommended nandroid I can download to get back to stock settings so I can download update whenever it comes lol

RizNette

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Wait.

You don't flash a nandroid backup. You boot into recovery and use the nandroid restore function and it restores the system

Excellent that makes sense. So just put the folder (non zipped) on root of SD card then it should show up on nandroid recovery?

Thank you for your help!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
for nandroid to find the backup -
the path on your sd card must be
/nandroid/YOUR PHONES SERIAL NUMBER/folder/image files

to find your phones serial number -
plug into your computer and run
adb devices

the folder nested inside the folder named with your serial# can be anything, but no spaces or special characters.

RizNette

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
for nandroid to find the backup -
the path on your sd card must be
/nandroid/YOUR PHONES SERIAL NUMBER/folder/image files

to find your phones serial number -
plug into your computer and run
adb devices

the folder nested inside the folder named with your serial# can be anything, but no spaces or special characters.

Perfect, thats how it is thank you. I will deff try this out when I get home tonight!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having troubles with the recovery-RA=herc-v1.5.2.img where it says that there is no such file or directory.

I think you're having the same problem someone else had with the file name.
Make sure the file name matches what you're trying to push.
Also make sure the downloaded file was .img, not .img.jpg cause windows does that sometimes to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon