HOW-TO Customizing the boot script for Gumbo ROM 1.5c

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Huge issue found on most devices. Mine's not affected, but many others are. New version in ~1 hour.

Some phones aren't successfully parsing the script at boot, because of all the comments. I'm going to change back to a simpler script and provide a link to the "tutorial style" script as a text file.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
hmmm hopefully that explains the slow taskbar and the reason the web browser seemed to revert back to being a resource hog. The initial snap must have been due to a fresh update.zip I guess.
Is there a way to tell whether my phone parsed the script properly, or will I only know once I load this updated zip and see if there's a difference?
Flashing now will report back.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
ment to say in pulling down the notifications bar. Browser always seemed to slow everything down a little too. I know ram numbers don't mean as much, but it always seemed like once they dropped down to 25MB or so things slowed down and it was always when the broswer was still open in memory. It seems like it stayed active longer then most other programs, not just passively sitting in memory. Right now after 8 hours of uptime its at 45MB and everything is still snappy. no force close issues or hanging up yet.

Drybonz

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I installed the new 3/3 updated kernel and have been getting some data connection errors. Could be something else causing it, but just wanted to mention it as it started just after I flashed the kernel.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
hmmm hopefully that explains the slow taskbar and the reason the web browser seemed to revert back to being a resource hog. The initial snap must have been due to a fresh update.zip I guess.
Is there a way to tell whether my phone parsed the script properly, or will I only know once I load this updated zip and see if there's a difference?
Flashing now will report back.

I actually haven't noticed any slowdown in my taskbar. Maybe it is something else causing that?

ment to say in pulling down the notifications bar. Browser always seemed to slow everything down a little too. I know ram numbers don't mean as much, but it always seemed like once they dropped down to 25MB or so things slowed down and it was always when the broswer was still open in memory. It seems like it stayed active longer then most other programs, not just passively sitting in memory. Right now after 8 hours of uptime its at 45MB and everything is still snappy. no force close issues or hanging up yet.

This sounds like Robchaos' system wouldn't run the script correctly, but Drybonz's system would. Which is exactly why I had to change it. Things should work better for you Rob, and stay the same for you Drybonz lol.

I installed the new 3/3 updated kernel and have been getting some data connection errors. Could be something else causing it, but just wanted to mention it as it started just after I flashed the kernel.

Is this still an issue? Haven't seen anything like that here.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
so far so good on my end. no data connection errors as of yet.
So Gbhil, maybe you know this. What is it about 1.5 that doesn't allow the JIT libraries to be compiled and used like they can on 1.6 and above? something in the boot.img that I probably wouldn't understand?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Changes in Android. Cupcake doesn't support J-I-T even though the 2.6.27 kernel does. You can install the libraries and change the mode, but it won't actually do anything. Another one of those things that's just too much trouble to try and fix.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
It throws it into a bootloop. I guess it just doesn't know what to do with the JIT enabled libraries. I sat there and watched the logcat for a minute or two before giving up and nandroiding. Just curiosity and extra time. Almost makes me want to try out your 1.6 stuff, but I'm waiting for a stable build with all the features working. I use my phone too much to have stuff missing.

funcrusher

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, I went back to 0.31 because I got busy and probably would have imagined issues, then bugged out. haha

Just flashed the new version and will probably leave it on all weekend.

Is it configured a lot differently than 0.31?

I guess all you guys are busy playing with 2.1

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
It's close to the same. There are some differences in the kernel and boot image, so the same settings you used on .31 will be a bit different, but are a good starting point if you don't like the new defaults.

The biggest change is that you can crank up the 4th and 5th set of numbers a bit higher without killing off all your syncing for apps. It stills kills off non essential stuff, so that gives you a bit more free RAM while still having facebook syncing your address book, or twitter, or xxx

funcrusher

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Just an update.

The only thing I've noticed is that my led stopped flashing when I get text messages via handcent. I woke up this morning slightly hungover, looked over at my phone....no led blinking...checked it out and I had like 4 text messages.

Other than that, I've really had no problems. Everything has been snappy and my last.fm widget actually works now!

I'm running Fresh 1.1 and cleared my dalvik after flashing the kernel.

Thanks dude.

Robchaos_

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Just an update, 65 hours of uptime and all I've noticed was every once in a while when waking up, it would take a few seconds for the notification bar to become responsive again. I'm used to that though, haven't found a rom that it doesn't happen on. 65 hours is a pretty long time to go without rebooting (I usually do it once a day). Other then that, everything is working great. I recommend this overtop of the 1.5c full rom untill someone gets a fully functional 2.1 rom out.

funcrusher

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the only thing I've noticed is that the LED doesn't blink sometimes when I receive email and text messages. I'm probably just going to keep it anyway because it doesn't bother me too much.

I went to Fresh 2.0b, but did a nandroid restore back to Fresh 1.1 with this kernel. I've decided that I'm not going to 2.1 until the Sprint Hero ROM is released and YOU release one. (JK, but it would be nice.)

lol

Maybe I'll go to 1.5c in the meantime. I just don't feel like customizing it. ha

Edit: I actually found a 1.5c Nandroid backup, so I went back. Using Titanium backup now and restoring my apps. Going to flash this kernel. /unnecessary update

Last edited:

firemedic624

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying he 2.6.27GK-1.5c Kernel out with Fresh 1.1 right now and so far I've had no problems out of it. I'll let you know if anything comes up.

Thank you gbhil for the work that you've put into this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay