[HOW-TO] Build your own kernel package from source

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Not really. Ubuntu is NOT the way to learn "Hardcore" Linux as it changes quite a bit from it's original roots, but it is pretty damn user friendly.

try downloading the latest ISO and running it from the cd for a test drive. You don't have to install to test that way.

tatonka_Hero

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Not really. Ubuntu is NOT the way to learn "Hardcore" Linux as it changes quite a bit from it's original roots, but it is pretty damn user friendly.

try downloading the latest ISO and running it from the cd for a test drive. You don't have to install to test that way.

could it be run from an external hard drive, connected by USB? Something I've always wanted to be able to do lol

I'm not terribly computer savvy, but I know enough to get around lol.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
All done with this one. Let the real discussion begin!

And don't wait for the phone company Darkshneider. Connect to your closest neighbors unsecured Linksys wifi router lol.

tatonka_Hero

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
once I get the right version of linux installed (using Wubi...as that seems to be the easiest to get installed for me...once I'm on fast enough internet to download everything), I'll probably take a crack at this. I think it'll be fun :D

Great work Gbhil!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
once I get the right version of linux installed (using Wubi...as that seems to be the easiest to get installed for me...once I'm on fast enough internet to download everything), I'll probably take a crack at this. I think it'll be fun :D

Great work Gbhil!

Great! You can make some fast as heck 1.5 ROM's that are fully functional, so it's not like it's useless. And it keeps us on our toes while we wait for source code once 2.1 is released :)

I'll be right here to help out

Darkshneider

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
All done with this one. Let the real discussion begin!

And don't wait for the phone company Darkshneider. Connect to your closest neighbors unsecured Linksys wifi router lol.

I wish. The few connections I see are mostly secured and only 1 Linksys exists, very weak. Besides, my mongoloid PC doesnt have a wireless card.

tatonka_Hero

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
There, now that I've got ubuntu/wubi/whatever the hell you want to call it installed, I might start playing around. Few days of getting used to things, and hopefully I'll be able to start working on this! :D

edit: Damn, maybe not...might take longer than I think :p

Last edited:

tatonka_Hero

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
cd ~/myandroid
~/bin/repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
~/bin/repo sync

This step takes about forever and a day. You're downloading about 1.7 gigabytes of data, and often times the android git repo is hammered for bandwidth. You're pretty lucky to get speeds over 900kb/s or so. You can safely start the download and walk away for a while. As long as nobody comes by and shuts down your terminal you can pick back up when it's finished. I usually run this command and give it at least an hour, sometimes overnight. Just be sure not to interfere with it.

So I'm working on this last step, setting everything up, and it's been hanging at "Receiving objects: 16% (529/3301), 715.99 KiB | 456 KiB/s" for like 10-20 minutes now. I'm assuming it's just losing connection or something...but if it sits there for an hour or so at this step, is there a way to restart it without screwing anything up? Or is it done syncing with google's copy?

I'm a total linux noob, so I don't want to screw anything up (already did with a previous install of ubuntu that now I can't completely get off my computer...yet)

I'll probably leave it overnight, and hopefully by morning it'll get off this glitch lol

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
So I'm working on this last step, setting everything up, and it's been hanging at "Receiving objects: 16% (529/3301), 715.99 KiB | 456 KiB/s" for like 10-20 minutes now. I'm assuming it's just losing connection or something...but if it sits there for an hour or so at this step, is there a way to restart it without screwing anything up? Or is it done syncing with google's copy?

I'm a total linux noob, so I don't want to screw anything up (already did with a previous install of ubuntu that now I can't completely get off my computer...yet)

I'll probably leave it overnight, and hopefully by morning it'll get off this glitch lol

Sorry I didn't get back with ya.

Last night turned into a circus here after the Big East championship game, and I forgot I'm 45 and not 25 lol. Boy does my head hurt :)

Did it "fix" itself? Sounds like the connection dropped. AFIAK just kill it and re-issue the command, and it will just check whats already been downloaded to see that it doesn't need to get it again, and pick up.

At least I sincerely HOPE that Android's GIT server is set up that way.

tatonka_Hero

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I didn't get back with ya.

Last night turned into a circus here after the Big East championship game, and I forgot I'm 45 and not 25 lol. Boy does my head hurt :)

Did it "fix" itself? Sounds like the connection dropped. AFIAK just kill it and re-issue the command, and it will just check whats already been downloaded to see that it doesn't need to get it again, and pick up.

At least I sincerely HOPE that Android's GIT server is set up that way.

no, it didn't fix itself unfortunately. It ended up closing out, and when I re-tried it, it locked my computer up after a point (num-lock and scroll-lock lights were blinking, and nothing was responding). When it restarted and I tried it again, it said all the files were "read-only", I couldn't do a damn thing to it...weird

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
no, it didn't fix itself unfortunately. It ended up closing out, and when I re-tried it, it locked my computer up after a point (num-lock and scroll-lock lights were blinking, and nothing was responding). When it restarted and I tried it again, it said all the files were "read-only", I couldn't do a damn thing to it...weird

Doing some digging here.

I already have a "dirty" solution, waiting on some responses to see if I can find a better soluiton.

tatonka_Hero

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Doing some digging here.

I already have a "dirty" solution, waiting on some responses to see if I can find a better soluiton.

Thanks. I'm in no hurry, I can't finish the download tonight anyway. Stuck back at home using satellite internet for the night, no way in hell I can download much tonight lol. If you find something, I'll probably try it tomorrow afternoon at school

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Dirty solution it is lol. Without access to your machine, it's simply too hard to debug, but it sounds like the Android repo script issue that's known. The python script doesn't have error handling once the connection has been accepted, is still alive but stalled and your local machine tries to re-establish. There's a fix, but it involves patching some files, and using a different server address. The fix has been accepted by Android and should make it into the repo soon. For now -

4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download myandroid.tar.bz2

Download this.

Open your home folder in nautilus, and delete the myandroid folder that's there.
Open this bzipd* file and move the myandroid folder you see inside it into your home directory.
Right click on the new myandroid file, select properties -> permissions and make sure you are the owner. (you should be).
Skip every step from where you are now, up to the key verifying from Android.

You can then do the rest of the steps using the prebuilt linux tools that I just grabbed from the repo and zipped up for you.

* - I'll tell you this because you're not really familiar with Unix/Linux. The file you're downloading is a beast. It's double compressed to get it small enough to host at 4shared, uncompressed it's about 350 Mb. It's going to seem like it's taking a very long time to open it, and even longer to copy the folder out of it. It took about 2 minutes to compress it on a machine with 4 Xenon processors, so don't be alarmed if it takes 3 or 4 minutes to open/move it. Any big file with a .tar.bz2 extension is like this - think of it as a unix/linux super-zip file.

The file also doesn't have everything in it to build the whole Android OS, but it's everything needed to build the kernel and follow what's here.

dougpiston

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
i dont have an htc but in my search for an answer has led me to you and this place of knowledge....

trying to do the repo init and instead of going to ~/droid folder it keeps trying to go to my /home/jarvis. any idea on how to change which folder the repo tries to go to. im running 9.10 so if you dont know thats ok nobody has seemed to have the answer. thanks for reading.

Code:
jarvis@jarvis:~$ cd ~
jarvis@jarvis:~$ mkdir mydroid
jarvis@jarvis:~$ cd mydroid
jarvis@jarvis:~/mydroid$ repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b eclair

Your Name  []:
Your Email [@gmail.com]:

Your identity is:  <>
is this correct [yes/no]? yes

[B][I]repo initialized in /home/jarvis[/I][/B]<---- the issue
jarvis@jarvis:~/mydroid$

Last edited: