AOSP: What is it

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Forgive the newbie question. I did a google search and I'm guessing that it might be as basic as the google search suggested, but want to make sure. What exactly does "AOSP" mean to the Android world? I keep seeing messages, this is AOSP or it isn't AOSP. Just looking to make sure I know what it is. Thanks,

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
It means Android Open Source Project.
When you see an AOSP ROM, it means its as basic as it gets. No Sense, no nothing. It runs generally faster than a sense based ROM. You just don't get any of the visual flash. So basically, if you use the emulator from the SDK, you see AOSP android. Even more basic than vanilla, if you will. Hard for me to explain, and the AOSP website is very techy (I don't get about half of what they say).

Reactions: kpshubert and Alma

GolpherZX

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
That is what I thought it meant. Just that I see a few times it is mentioned, almost like it is a godsend to get it AOSP. I think I'll be sticking to my non-AOSP ROMs, thank you very much!! :)

Cee-Jay

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Well...

"AOSP" is like saying "BASIC" or "DOS" or C++. It means that AOSP ROMs are not based on any specific release or particular phone programming. Vanilla, cupcake, eclair, froyo, (AND SOON!!) gingerbread, were all built from coding off the AOSP platform. Doesn't make any AOSP ROMs lesser (or better) than any other ROM. Just means the dev built the ROM "from scratch," if you will. It's not a modded existing ROM, it's completely original. Frozen Yogurt, for instance, is an outstanding AOSP ROM... Kind of like a "new" phone. AOSP ROMs may be right up your alley. Try one, you can always restore if you hate it.

showpony

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I just learned something from a post that's 8 months old. Thanks op for the question.

Me too! Why would it matter if a post was opened up 8 months after if the information is STILL relevant and useful?!
oh wait, trolls.. never mind. See you next month when I bump this post to anger the trolls! :)
j/k