Going back to 1.5

tatonka_Hero

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
It would depend on how you installed the leak I believe. I know with the 2.1 ROM's that are based on the leak, to go back you should just have to wipe, then flash the 1.5 ROM you want to use. Not entirely sure how to go back from the leak itself

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

ktrazy91

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Is there an official Sprint ROM for the hero available for download? I don't really want to void my EPP (Equipment Protection Program) with Sprint that I pay each month.

ktrazy91

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so if I download, and run the HTC Android Phone ROM Update Utility to 2.1, it'll install 2.1 onto my Hero. If I want to go to back to 1.5, I'll just run the RUU_Hero_C_Sprint executable?

rmmorse81

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmm I was one of the boneheads who did option 1. I was able to use the method above to recover my bootloader. I then installed fresh 1.1. However, I am trying to go back to stock and it keeps failing with an Error (Bootloader version)

Any ideas?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so if I download, and run the HTC Android Phone ROM Update Utility to 2.1, it'll install 2.1 onto my Hero. If I want to go to back to 1.5, I'll just run the RUU_Hero_C_Sprint executable?

If you haven't run 2.1 RUU.exe on your hero, don't do it. If you have, you will need to fix the boot loader then install another ROM, then run the 1.5 RUU to go back to unrooted status.

FYI, i've never gotten the 1.5 RUU to work for me. Others have. Others have bricked their phones. So basically, if you haven't done the 2.1 RUU, you're OK, if you have, fix the boot loader, install Gumbo 1.5c and don't touch it. You will have root access, but your phone will appear as stock as possible, but be a lot more responsive.

ktrazy91

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
If you haven't run 2.1 RUU.exe on your hero, don't do it. If you have, you will need to fix the boot loader then install another ROM, then run the 1.5 RUU to go back to unrooted status.

FYI, i've never gotten the 1.5 RUU to work for me. Others have. Others have bricked their phones. So basically, if you haven't done the 2.1 RUU, you're OK, if you have, fix the boot loader, install Gumbo 1.5c and don't touch it. You will have root access, but your phone will appear as stock as possible, but be a lot more responsive.

I still haven't done anything to my Hero yet.. So how would I go about installing the leaked version of 2.1 and being able to go back to complete stock Sprint ROM?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I still haven't done anything to my Hero yet.. So how would I go about installing the leaked version of 2.1 and being able to go back to complete stock Sprint ROM?

Root your phone
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-sprint-hero-condensed-easy-read-version.html

Create a system backup
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-hero-roms-hacks/7477-looking-nandroid-how.html

Install the second or third option from the 2.1 leak thread. To back up, restore your system backup, then run the original 1.5 RUU and you will be in the same state as an out of the box hero.