How-To Root Your Sprint HTC Hero using a Mac

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
awesome thanks a ton.

I'm at work so when I get home I'll give it a try.

What rom do you recommend? I'm not really sure what rom to use.

Why not try them all? :) Make sure you make a Nandroid backup immediately after getting root so you can always return back to that point in time if you need to.

After that, flash away and see which one best fits your needs. Just make sure you flash Heroc ROMs only. Beezy has some good ROMs that you can try and more can be found @XDA which include AOSP ROMs and Ports.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
no I did not.

how do i do that?

First make sure you have the rom.zip on your sdcard,then power off phone.Then hold home,hit power(while still holding home)till you get to recovery(black/green menu.Then scroll down to wipe.Wipe data,dalvik,and ext if you have one set up.Then re-flash the rom,reboot and hopefully everything is good to go.
***When you wipe you lose all your data.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted, flash the backup you were supposed to make, or flash a 1.5 ROM if you aren't, then you can't. You must root the 2.1 first, then flash a 1.5 ROM.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
yeah, sometimes the computers rename the file. try recovery-RA-heroc-v152.img you need to try to push it to the sd card again:
./adb push recovery-RA-heroc-v152.img /sdcard/

if you get a trasnfer rate, then good, if not, make sure the recovery is in the tools folder of the sdk and push exactly what the name of it in there is.

SioSioDef

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
My Sprint HTC Hero is firmware version 1.5 software version 1.56.651.2

I used your directions and think I successfully rooted it.
But now I'm lost.

I wanted to be able to delete some factory apps and learn a few new tricks.

I'm having 3 problems though.

1. Hard to find info on web about how to do these things with a Mac.
2. Getting harder to find info on doing things rooted prior to 2.1
3. I'm starting to get errors trying to access the tools folder now.

I've checked my directory and everything looks in place, but terminal says there is no such file or directory. Terminal is also denying me permissions.

I can't delete these apps because terminal says the directory is bogus. & I can't upgrade to Android 2.1 because I can't any info on doing this with a rooted Sprint HTC Hero using a Mac.

Do you have any suggestions or links that might help me learn & understand this better? I've only been at this stuff or 2 days now. I'm very noob and still learning.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463