How-To Root Your Sprint HTC Hero using a Mac

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
You need to mount the /system/ directory in order to remove sprint apps. You can't do it on terminal emulator, you have to do it from the computer.
cd android-sdk-mac_86/tools/
./adb shell
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app/
rm WHATEVER.apk

If you had a custom rom, you would do this differently
cd android-sdk-mac_86/tools
./adb remount
./adb shell
cd /system/app
rm WHATEVER.apk

You can't do superuser functions, you need the superuser permissions app installed if you're going to do things from the terminal emulator.

To install a custom 2.1 ROM, it doesn't matter what computer platform you are on... you don't even need a computer to do it. Just take the zip file of the ROM, place it in the main directory of your sd card, boot into recovery (either using computer ./adb reboot recovery, or by powering off the phone, holding the home button as you power the phone back on). follow the procedures on performing a nandroid backup, wiping the data/system restore and dalvik (ignore errors), then flash .zip from sd. You can do this from the phone by downloading the file to the sd card from whatever site you get the rom from, then using a file manager to relocate the file to the main directory of the sd card. The ROM has to be there, otherwise the recovery cannot find it and won't be able to flash the file.

oprativ

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm having problems after connecting device (not mounting, just Charge Mode only), it finds it, but I can not do the push asroot2 command. I get the following:
ts-macbook-pro:~ T$ cd /users/T/android-sdk-mac_86/tools
ts-macbook-pro:tools T$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
HT02BHF09501 device

ts-macbook-pro:tools T$ ./adb push asroot2 /data/local/
cannot stat 'asroot2': No such file or directory

I already have the stock Sprint 2.1 installed, but it's not rooted. My 2.0 was rooted. Ideas? Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I am experiencing the same problem, 'asroot2': No such file or directory

I have the stock 1.5 ROM on the Sprint HTC Hero. If you could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

kingkobra813

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my hero a while back. I was running 1.5 roms. but recently I upgraded to a 2.2 but it seems like my phone is no longer rooted.

Did I lose my root permission when I upgraded the rom?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my hero a while back. I was running 1.5 roms. but recently I upgraded to a 2.2 but it seems like my phone is no longer rooted.

Did I lose my root permission when I upgraded the rom?

Open the app drawer and see if the Super User (SU) app is there. If it is, then you still have root. If not, then grab it from the market.

Another way to check is by downloading Terminal Emulator and type su. It should return "#" if you are rooted and a "$" if not. Hope this helps.

atippie

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
HElp!

So I have literally spent a day trying to figure out how to make the adb command perform its function. I have looked through a handful of forums and all make it seem like once you install the Android SDK the adb command should be readily available. Any suggestions? I have changed the PATH to the folder where the adb file is... so I'm at a loss.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I have literally spent a day trying to figure out how to make the adb command perform its function. I have looked through a handful of forums and all make it seem like once you install the Android SDK the adb command should be readily available. Any suggestions? I have changed the PATH to the folder where the adb file is... so I'm at a loss.

Are you trying to root? If so, there is an app that will do it for you from the phone. No need to use adb commands. Search this fourm for z4 root of the one-click method for the hero.

rmartjr

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Help me Root HTC Hero cdma using mac cant figure it ou

i have downloaded the files but doesnt seem to wok and cant figure it out. i tried on a friends windows still couldn't do it. 2.1 please help i have skype. also willing to take it somewhere i live in dallas, to pay. very frustrated.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
i have downloaded the files but doesnt seem to wok and cant figure it out. i tried on a friends windows still couldn't do it. 2.1 please help i have skype. also willing to take it somewhere i live in dallas, to pay. very frustrated.

Use Gingerbreak to root the device and ROM manager to flash a recovery. Search this forum for the app.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol