Buy Evo or wait for an Android 2.2 phone

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
So today Sprint announced the Evo is coming June 4th. It is rumored that Google will show off their Android 2.2 OS next week at Google IO. There are already leaks showing how faster it performs and how it supports full flash. So I'm wondering if people will wait for a phone that supports 2.2 or buy the Evo knowing that you'll probably get 2.2 well after everyone else? I'm waiting for a 2.2 phone.

lucky4meman

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd get the Evo. It just went up for Pre-order today at Best Buy. This is going to be their top phone and will for sure update to 2.2 once it's available. Take the leap

highwayman1224

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I'd get the Evo. It just went up for Pre-order today at Best Buy. This is going to be their top phone and will for sure update to 2.2 once it's available. Take the leap

LOL, that's funny!!! The Hero was supposed to be their TOP phone too, & look what happened to it's update, or LACK OF an update. I'd love to know how you would know for SURE that it'll update to 2.2 once it's available. With that being said, i will jump on it on launch day because of the 1 gig processor & bigger screen.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
I plan on getting the Evo. Once you root you pretty much stop caring about carrier OS releases...

There are amazing devs who will have 2.2 released for these phones as soon as they get their hands on it.

Between that...and the Evo being a monster...I'm getting it.

ksoze

May 6, 2010
Visit site

I really wouldnt bank on anything "for sure" when it comes to Sprint. The only reason why I have stuck with them is purely price of their plans. Software updates and communication with their obviously interested tech-savy customer base is horrible most of the time.

And have to agree with Quis here... once you root it, is software pushes by the carrier even a concern anymore?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I think im going to wait for their idea of the premium to use 4G dies out. Dan Hesse said it himself, its cheaper for the company to do 4G than 3G... why would they charge MORE for it (when he even stated they wouldn't). Plus, I'm not going to be in a 4G city, so I can't justify the $10/month anyway.

WeGlobal

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as how I used my wife's upgrade to get the Hero in March, I couldn't get this phone at a discount anyway, so I guess I'll be waiting till March 2011....I'm not really a "gotta have it first" person anyway. Up until March this year, I was still rockin a Blackberry 8830WE while others had thier Tourss and Bold's.

Heck, by next year, EVO will be old news, and there will be a new "hot phone"

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I would get the Evo cause Sprint isn't poppin out Android phones like other carriers. So its not telling when you'll get a 2.2 device. With that said, anyone not on Sprint already making the switch is wasting their money. That's just my opinion though =D

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as how I used my wife's upgrade to get the Hero in March, I couldn't get this phone at a discount anyway, so I guess I'll be waiting till March 2011....I'm not really a "gotta have it first" person anyway. Up until March this year, I was still rockin a Blackberry 8830WE while others had thier Tourss and Bold's.

Heck, by next year, EVO will be old news, and there will be a new "hot phone"

By next year this time my 1 year with the EVO will be up and I can get a new phone... So I'm Good... Unless a 4G dual Core 2GHZ *Android 2.5 Truffle *lol** 2 GB Ram and Rom 15 Mega pixel camera with 5 Mega pixel Forward facing come out... Then i'll kick myself until that time EVO is good for a years worth of abuse and Considering I need to pay that $10 premium Abuse is exactly what i will do...

tramaria

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you, I have a Hero as well. Can we really trust that they will give us an upgrade expeditiously. Look how long it's taking for the Hero. We're forgotten. But as well since I have a contract and the EVO is a sweet phone, I'll chance it.

MrJoseSanchez8330

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree with rufflez about the 4g. If it's not available in ur area you shouldn't be forced to pay for it. I can't upgrade til November anyways so ill see what's out then.

Droid-One

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I will just wait for the Samsung Galaxy s, it should be coming to sprint soon. I am stuck till october anyway. After what htc and sprint did with 2.1, I think waiting it out would be the smartest thing to do at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci