Is the Hero a good backup phone?

davidg4781

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade to an iPhone in a couple of months and currently have a Palm Pre. I'm trying to sell the Pre while the market's still hot (hahahahaha) and would like to play with an Android device before jumping to iOS.

One main reason I'm looking to get rid of the Pre is because I have a bit of a fear of not being able to use it as a backup phone if I ever need to. When the phone is reset, you are required to sign into Palm's servers, using Sprint's data network, before you can do anything with the phone. I'm worried those servers may be turned off sooner, rather than later, and I won't be able to use it.

Is this the case with the Hero/Android phones? Are you required to sign into Google's network to use it? I trust Google will still be around, but I just want to see what I'm getting myself in to.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You need to sign in to use Google services. I don't think it's necessary to connect the phone to an existing line. If it does... You shouldn't worry. Google isn't going nowhere. If they do, then all carriers have a problem, not just sprint.

The Hero is a great entry phone. If you want something slightly better, get the Optimus S.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

davidg4781

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! Is there anything I need to be aware of that may go wrong with the phone? My brother and his girlfriend have had one for almost two years, and I don't think they've had any issues.

Does the track ball go out or anything? I had a BB Curve and it would get stuck sometimes.

Just want to make sure I check it out before paying for it.