Hi,

From what I've read, voice input is not natively supported in the "official" leaked 2.1 update. Can you update and then install an app like Better Keyboard to get voice recognition? From what I've read, it sounds like it should be simple even without root, but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    05-17-2010 07:52 PM
    Yes, there are reports that it works.
    05-17-2010 08:01 PM
    I'm looking for a thanks button and not seeing it...

I'm hoping this is the case because this feature is important while the phone/plans are at a great price right now.
    05-17-2010 08:07 PM
    Think you have to have 10 posts, but I'm not worried about it

I'm using the XDA keyboard (which you can use without being rooted) and voice2text works fine.
    05-17-2010 08:16 PM
    Awesome, I looked into that one also.

Definitely going to suggest this phone to the gf. Her plan is going to be cheaper than her current dumbfone and the phone will be free after porting the number. Now that's what I call capitalism
    05-17-2010 08:25 PM
    Here's a link to to a page that I found tonight. I basically wanted the same thing, and it works great! You can ignore the part about downloading Voice Search, as the phone already has it natively.

http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/04/add-...3/#comment-982

It was pretty simple. download the lo res HTC version and install it via the package installer...then select it in the keyboard settings menu.

Open any text input window, and looong press in the text frame....a popup will come up which let's you select input>voice....at that point, it works for ALL keybaord input situations...

Hope this helps! I'm not rooted (yet) and it works perfectly.
    05-17-2010 10:03 PM
    Do you mean voice recognition with bluetooth? I hope that this feature will be included with 2.1. That is the only feature I miss from my blackberry tour. I use my bluetooth very often especially when driving. It is so much easier to make calls with this feature.
    05-18-2010 12:44 AM
    Do you mean voice recognition with bluetooth? I hope that this feature will be included with 2.1. That is the only feature I miss from my blackberry tour. I use my bluetooth very often especially when driving. It is so much easier to make calls with this feature.
    its not in 2.1, maybe 2.2. No, its not needed, as you can do it with the bluetooth still being connected to your head even though its not using the mic, you just have to touch the phone.

By pressing an holding the search button you bring up voice search. You can also designate commands to dial out. This isn't new, its been on your phone since day 1.
    05-18-2010 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD