Serious Phone App Lag!

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just got the Hero last Friday. It is my first Android device. I did a forum search but couldn't find a thread on this topic.

I have a serious lag problem in the phone app. If I dial the number completely it connects quickly. However, if I use smart dial and tap a contact it takes anywhere from 5-12 seconds to register the tap and actually connect the call. So I find myself tapping over and over again in futility connecting and disconnecting and so on. Is this a known issue? Does it have a work around? Thanks in advance for any good suggestions towards remedying this lag.

And is there and auto area code setting anywhere? :D

techsamaritan

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I had that phone. I think the processor is just too slow in the hero and HTC sense. The Moment has a faster processor and no HTC sense and works great. I'm going to show some restraint and not jump to the Evo until next year. The Moment has pleased me and will hold me till then.

You should give the Moment a try...

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
The Moment is also bottlenecked before the processor where the faster speed is utterly useless.

My recommendation:
Only if you don't have the official 2.1 on there- root the phone, run an overclocked 2.1 ROM (you can almost overclock any 2.1 ROM without losing any features). Best thing I've done on the phone since rooting it back at the beginning of March. If you have the official 2.1, this is not possible.

Spectre130

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
The Moment is also bottlenecked before the processor where the faster speed is utterly useless.

My recommendation:
Only if you don't have the official 2.1 on there- root the phone, run an overclocked 2.1 ROM (you can almost overclock any 2.1 ROM without losing any features). Best thing I've done on the phone since rooting it back at the beginning of March. If you have the official 2.1, this is not possible.
You need to overclock to make a simple phone call? I have no problems with speed...none. I do not believe this is a processor problem. My phone only hickups when trying to connect a call and only after 2.1...so it seems to be a problem with code.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
No, I didn't have issues making phone calls before. If you just booted the phone and try to place a phone call right away, it can't do it. I have less lag issues now with an OC ROM than I did before

jedisrus

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I can't root the phone. It was updated to 2.1 by the fine folks at the Sprint store. I just simply can't believe that a phone has a phone app that works so poorly. I may give the Moment a try. I am getting the EVO for myself on Friday and would like to pass whatever phone it replaces down to my wife or daughter. The whole reason I replaced the Pre just last week was because it simply failed to often and would be an even bigger headache to whoever used it after me. I can't see giving them the Hero in its current state. :-(

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I would show them the crappyness the fine people at Sprint approved as an acceptable update. The 2nd leak had less issues, but didn't feel complete. The third/official seems sooo crappy compared to what I've been using already for 2 months.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
When you throw in Google Voice the lag is even more between clicking the name and making the call. The phone does a quick vibrate before placing the call and I don't bother putting the phone to my head until I fell that vibrate.

As my wife says, the Hero is a great device for everything except making phone calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC