HTC Hero Alltel Tethering

yorel23

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
First post here. I have been using a Blackberry Curve on the Alltel network for the last year or so. I have been able to tether it to my laptop and get decent download speeds (500-800kbps usually) at Speedtest.net . I have recently switched to the new (to Alltel) HTC Hero. I have been trying to use it to tether and it is VERY slow. I have tried EasyTether and also the internet sharing feature and am getting download speeds of 10-40. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or is this what I can expect? If so, I want my BB back! Any suggestions?

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
First post here. I have been using a Blackberry Curve on the Alltel network for the last year or so. I have been able to tether it to my laptop and get decent download speeds (500-800kbps usually) at Speedtest.net . I have recently switched to the new (to Alltel) HTC Hero. I have been trying to use it to tether and it is VERY slow. I have tried EasyTether and also the internet sharing feature and am getting download speeds of 10-40. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or is this what I can expect? If so, I want my BB back! Any suggestions?

I don't know jack about Alltel. Do you have root? Also can you share wifi with internet sharing.

yorel23

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't know jack about Alltel. Do you have root? Also can you share wifi with internet sharing.

I've been told that it won't be able to be rooted since it came with 2.1. I really don't know about the wifi with internet sharing. I always just used USB connection for my Blackberry and it worked quite well (comparatively). I don't have much computer or phone experience, but I do know that the BB allowed me to connect at a MUCH higher speed than this. When I connect through EasyTether it shows as a Network 3 Connection with "No Internet Connection". I guess it's so slow that the computer doesn't think there is an internet connection there? Like I said, very inexperienced in this. I would assume that although it is Alltel, the actual method of connecting to the internet should be similar. No?

Last edited:

yorel23

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Try pdanet,maybe the drivers from that might help speed.
Beezy,

I sure appreciate your help. I tried pdanet and it seemed promising to begin with as the computer now showed an "Internet Connection". However, at speedtest.net the speeds were almost identical (15-20kbps). So now trying EasyTether, pdaNet, and Internet Sharing I get almost identical speeds (SLOW). It's almost like there is something restricting it on the PC side but I don't even know what to look for. I think I'll sleep on it. Once again, thanks for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE